Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

it would be interesting to see what the punisher does if he has somehow reached the end of his war and crime and lawlessness are eliminated forever somehow. will he put a bullet in his own brain or simply walk away for parts unknown and wait for his next war? will he punish himself for all the mayhem he has caused or will he adopt a wait and watch approach waiting for the inevitable growth of the roots of crime once again for him to weed out?
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 05-07-2019 at 02:10 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    it would be interesting to see what the punisher does if he has somehow reached the end of his war and crime and lawlessness are eliminated forever somehow. will he put a bullet in his own brain or simply walk away for parts unknown and wait for his next war? will he punish himself for all the mayhem he has caused or will he adopt a wait and watch approach waiting for the inevitable growth of the roots of crime once again for him to weed out?
    He becomes the cosmic ghost rider apparently.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    That was the opposite: a world in which everything dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Maybe you don't know what an anti-hero is.
    Word.

(xxxxxxxxx)
    Batman - Daredevil

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Read Punisher : The End. It answers that question.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    That was the opposite: a world in which everything dies.
    I don't know, I think it's more that Frank goes crazy and there's a hint that he might even sort of miss people like Deadpool and Daredevil. I don't know, I just sort of get the feeling that the truth is, Frank likes the heroes a lot more than he would ever admit. At least the 616 version does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    that timeline has been erased apparently though so how long he persists remains to be seen and whether he will achieve the staying power of OML.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Read Punisher : The End. It answers that question.
    o.k. will take a look if I can get my hands on a copy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I could almost accept that, but the problem I have is that all too often, Punisher gets to throw shade at superheroes for what's also just a comic tropes, IE villains walking out of jail like it was a spa.

In the real world, jail breaks don't happen every other weekend. And those few criminals lucky enough to escape are hunted down 24/7.

More than that, Punisher never seems to have a negative effect on innocent people. Of all the people who've sought revenge on Castle for killing a relative, have any of them ever been that sympathetic? Or have any of his victims been shown as just losers who don't deserve a bullet breakfast?

Sad to say, but anti-heroes seem to have less shade thrown at them than super heroes, who are accused of swimming in bystander like its a hobby
    I see what you mean, but I try not to apply real world logic to comics too much... that way lies madness.

You're right, he lives in a very black and white world. There isn't any nuanced morality or tragic villains or almost good guys. It's basically a western or Star Wars where you can tell the bad guy because he wears black. It's checkers where the good guys line up over here and the bad guys over there and there is no mixing.

I think part of the appeal is that the reader doesn't have to think about any challenging moral questions if they don't want to... you know the person Frank killed is bad, because he wouldn't kill them if they weren't, the end. Sometimes it's enjoyable to just see a bunch of scumbags get killed.

A "villain" would be actively doing evil to innocent people. That's not what he does.

A CRIMINAL, however, that he is, definitely.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    A "villain" would be actively doing evil to innocent people. That's not what he does.

I like that take.

They're all criminals,the super heroes, or have been criminals at different times. I think a lot of them envy Frank because they would like to do what he does but they choose not to for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I could almost accept that, but the problem I have is that all too often, Punisher gets to throw shade at superheroes for what's also just a comic tropes, IE villains walking out of jail like it was a spa.

In the real world, jail breaks don't happen every other weekend. And those few criminals lucky enough to escape are hunted down 24/7.

More than that, Punisher never seems to have a negative effect on innocent people. Of all the people who've sought revenge on Castle for killing a relative, have any of them ever been that sympathetic? Or have any of his victims been shown as just losers who don't deserve a bullet breakfast?

Sad to say, but anti-heroes seem to have less shade thrown at them than super heroes, who are accused of swimming in bystander like its a hobby
    There are way more stories throwing shade at anti heroes than superheroes. Kingdom Come, Under the Red Hood, Action Comics 775, any DC story by Grant Morrison easily come to mind. Any time an anti hero shows up, there is a 90% chance they'll be treated with varying degrees of disdain.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post

Exactly. Well said. I’ve seen him stop what he was doing and run into a burning building to save 2 kids. Again criminal? Yes. Villain? No.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Exactly. Well said. I’ve seen him stop what he was doing and run into a burning building to save 2 kids. Again criminal? Yes. Villain? No.
    Can't you still be a villain while having a few Noble moments? I think there are a lot of villains who aren't at least 100% evil. Kinda like villains who refuse to kill kids. Or the rogues in flash comics who don't murder. It doesn't change the fact that they are villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    Can't you still be a villain while having a few Noble moments? I think there are a lot of villains who aren't at least 100% evil. Kinda like villains who refuse to kill kids. Or the rogues in flash comics who don't murder. It doesn't change the fact that they are villains.
    But Frank risks his life to save innocent people on a regular basis. That's not how villains act. I've read every Punisher comic and appearance and he has saved many live's. He's an anti hero. Not a villain.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark