Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Slipcase with individual issues instead of the bulky omnibus/absolute editions

For aesthetics and supreme readability

Sorry for the randomness 😂

Theres a slipcase collection for the Sandman and Locke & Key trades.

There is a slipcase of the nemo trilogy.

If only d publishers stick to this format instead of d big bulky formats for better readability

Spectacular Member

But you dont get the oversized art.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    But you dont get the oversized art.
    Print it on oversize format then

Fantastic Member

Well as far as aesthetics go, I'm not sure how smaller formats are better. I'm a library edition/omnibus guy, but I do have some smaller editions and trades on my shelf. I find the bigger books far far far more aesthetically pleasing. The bigger the artwork the better in general. But also, the lettering is bigger and easier on my aging eyes. I wanted to read Descender as I've heard good things so I picked up the first trade...and the printing is so tiny I can barely read it. I'll hold out for a bigger edition.

Readability? Hmmm...honestly, I don't think smaller editions are actually much easier to read at all. I mean obviously, I'm not laying in bed on my back with Big Damn Sin City propped up on my gut, lol. Otoh, I can't sit a trade down on a table and just let it lay there open while I read it. I have to have it in my hands and held open all the time. Oh, and gutter loss is a real issue that gets on my nerves in a big way.
    Last edited by zevious zoquis; 01-27-2017 at 06:45 AM.

What's hard about reading an omnibus, honestly?

Spend more time finding a way that's comfortable for you instead of thinking about how 'unreadable' they are. They are a different size book. I don't read a tiny paperback novel in the same way I handle an oversized hardcover. Not to say I don't have preferences but I know how to get comfortable with any size book. They're still only books at the end of the day.

Fantastic Member

yup. The way I read the big books is by sitting them on the couch on a pillow. I kind of angle the pillow against the back of the sofa a bit and that way the book is well supported and not laying open quite flat - easier on the binding. Then I sit sideways. I'm a reasonably slim, agile fellow so it's really quite comfortable.

Fantastic Member

Bit of a sidetrack here but something I've been meaning to comment on...anyone else occasionally check out "unboxing" vids and whatnot on youtube? I do once in a while, and I often find myself wincing at the way some of the people treat the books. They'll put a big volume on a table and then start paging through it one-handed while they hold the camera in the other hand. Watching them try to turn pages and flatten them down with one hand makes me cringe...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    What's hard about reading an omnibus, honestly?

Spend more time finding a way that's comfortable for you instead of thinking about how 'unreadable' they are. They are a different size book. I don't read a tiny paperback novel in the same way I handle an oversized hardcover. Not to say I don't have preferences but I know how to get comfortable with any size book. They're still only books at the end of the day.
    Indeed.

I lay mine out on the bed and read them that way. When I'm travelling I read the digital comics I've got (metaphorically) piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Bit of a sidetrack here but something I've been meaning to comment on...anyone else occasionally check out "unboxing" vids and whatnot on youtube? I do once in a while, and I often find myself wincing at the way some of the people treat the books. They'll put a big volume on a table and then start paging through it one-handed while they hold the camera in the other hand. Watching them try to turn pages and flatten them down with one hand makes me cringe...lol.
    or when someone give a creator a book to sign or sketch in and they force the front cover open then flatten it with one hand at the spine (in case of paperbacks). I would probably scream.

I've watched and thought that but it does also give me hope that mine will last a long time in comparison if they can take the beatings that others give them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Bit of a sidetrack here but something I've been meaning to comment on...anyone else occasionally check out "unboxing" vids and whatnot on youtube? I do once in a while, and I often find myself wincing at the way some of the people treat the books. They'll put a big volume on a table and then start paging through it one
    Yeah or when they're using a boxcutter to open how do you know if the blade is cutting the book too? Ouch! But yeah I'm pretty anal about those things even with single issues I'm very careful with how I"m handling it, I would wince seeing people just fold back the cover and read it like a newspaper or something.

Not enough slipcase editions published man zzz