Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    A more diverse range of characters brings in a more diverse fanbase - see Ms. marvel #1 going to 6 (yes, six) printings, #2 is getting a fourth, #4 & #5 are on second printings (not to mention the rumour that it's a high digital seller). Would it have sold as many if she was a Carol Danvers clone? No.
    Character's backgrounds do matter, being able to see some of yourself in a character matters. There are so many characters similar to Rich Rider on the market that he's redundant - find me one other character with a single parent, money troubles and part of a minority ethnic group. Sam is different, Rider is the same old same old - if I wanted to read about a 'cool' cosmic, straight white male I'd be reading the Starlord ongoing.
    I am, as I have stated many times, a Black male. I have been a Black male for almost fifty years. But my color and sex does not dictate what comics I read, or what characters I am interested in. I just want good characters and good books. In my opinion, white or not, Richard Rider is a great character.

When Richard was temporarily replaced by Ko-rel, a blue Kree woman, I was okay with it. Why? Because I knew Rich was healing and I REALLY LIKED KO-REL. It is about the character, not the color.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    I am, as I have stated many times, a Black male. I have been a Black male for almost fifty years. But my color and sex does not dictate what comics I read, or what characters I am interested in. I just want good characters and good books. In my opinion, white or not, Richard Rider is a great character.

When Richard was temporarily replaced by Ko-rel, a blue Kree woman, I was okay with it. Why? Because I knew Rich was healing and I REALLY LIKED KO-REL. It is about the character, not the color.
    I've never claimed it does, however I do think that kids who can relate to Sam would not be able to relate to Rich, mostly due to age, not race. Sam is the perfect superhero fantasy for pre-teen boys, given that the only other Marvel pre-teen friendly book is Ms. Marvel, it's not much of a stretch to say that a lot of younger fans of characters they see on TV weren't being served by Marvel, Sam is the beginnings of an attempt to address that. I don't see why this is a problem.

I've never claimed it does, however I do think that kids who can relate to Sam would not be able to relate to Rich, mostly due to age, not race. Sam is the perfect superhero fantasy for pre-teen boys, given that the only other Marvel pre-teen friendly book is Ms. Marvel, it's not much of a stretch to say that a lot of younger fans of characters they see on TV weren't being served by Marvel, Sam is the beginnings of an attempt to address that. I don't see why this is a problem.
    The best solution that should have happened is if Loeb had created an original character from the off - designed to cater for the gap that you point out which you designate is missing from the current Marvel stable - just as say Louise Simonson created Power Pack in the 80's. Instead however, he opted to take an existing character which is appreciated by many fans - many of which like me - essentially saw grow and evolve from the 17 year jock/loser to the 20 something kick ass cosmic hero that was carved out of Annihilation - and re-write key concepts - reducing them to parody which has unfortunately one way or another left a bad taste in many Nova fans base camp. A trait followed by Duggan who lets face it can't be bothered to check past continuity.

Now okay - I accept that some fans do like Nova Jr and I do applaud and welcome that some Nova Jr fans have began to make an effort to track down past issues of the Nova Prime era and see for themselves why we're so pro-defensive about that era. That way they begin to understand a little about the past 35 year legacy that Nova jr is roughly -and I mean roughly - based on - the same way any new incarnation hero is done from a previous incumbent. What Marvel should do is simple; two books; two Novas - one for the kids and new generation to appreciate - and if they need to make them digital - so anyone can download them as/when. Even have one set in a separate universe so one doesn't contradict the other - I do the same thing for my Nova619 stuff. That way it caters for the reader gap that you point out is "missing"; and supports the existing fan base to enjoy. If need be - plots could be crossed over so everyone gets the best of both worlds. its a no brainer. Until that happens you can guarantee we're still be be here in support and I really do think after GOTG 20 comes out - well the flood gates will open. Nuff said.

Fantastic Member

Could they do Nova right on the screen? Especially with Iron Man? I would love nothing more than Darkhawk, but I worry for the on screen treatment...

Mighty Member

Trust must be earned. having the original and the new guy coexist would go a long way towards that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Trust must be earned. having the original and the new guy coexist would go a long way towards that.
    Was that a Yoda quote?

SW

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wacker View Post
    Was that a Yoda quote?

SW
    No that was reality. Trust must be earned, if you disagree I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    No that was reality. Trust must be earned, if you disagree I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.
    Are you a fortune cookie by day?

SW

I love all the Rich Rider love on this thread...basically not to take the easy route, but many of you have said/ summed up my personal thoughts on here very well!

I think with this upcoming arc we fans are so justified to be nervous...frankly what makes me the most nervous is , if Marvel really wants to go "after" the vestiges of Rider fans, they own the character and can do horrible things with him. A flashback to his dying hour (allegedly) is certainly one place they can do it. I'm so nervous they will characterize him as a chump or as a foolish coward..instead of the great hero he was...basically Steve Rogers in Space.

Why do I think that? Bendis and Marvel's track record mostly. I've read Bendis I've read marvel for years. Its very possible and thats not unreasonable. Bendis recently said on his tumblr he didnt mind being flamed for things he wrote, but he hated when fans dissed stuff he hadnt even wrote yet (this was in regards to the Dazzler revamp)..well Brian I mean C'mon...my personally take on some of the material Bendis writes is that it just never comes around. (and other stuff he can write great) GOTG has proven to be something that has NOT come around and i dont think Bendis has established any faith in us it will be good. I got so sick of his Avengers waiting to come around...aside from a couple decent arcs it never really did. Hopefully I will be wrong here and Rider's cancerverse story is a new classic?

Frankly, what would be great is that Bendis actually took a shine to Rider.

In a vacuum, Rider is the kind of character Bendis can write well...a solo character who tends to joke around a bit as he fights, humor could have a role...my honest bet is Bendis could bring in a lot of readers...if only to say how bad his Nova sucks and how DnA's was the best ever..part of me doesnt know what I'm saying , but beggers cant be choosers and I just hope he comes back.

At any rate "bring it on" as they say...I still have an unread #17 sitting on my kitchen counter that I need to look at tonight.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 08-03-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

A couple of things

1. Fans are always upset when their favorite characters are dead and they don't know if they are coming back. Marvel may try and reach out to younger fans - that is fine. But people still do not like characters they enjoyed to be removed and replaced.

2. I have never understood the argument of a young person needing to have young characters they could relate to. When I was a child, I read Iron-man, Dr. Strange, Adam Warlock, the Hulk, Spiderman, Captain America, the X-men, the Avengers, and on and on. They did not have to be my age with my problems. They just had to be good. They did not have to miss class or have girlfriend problems. They were sheer escapism and fun.

Ive been a comic book fan since I was 7 years old and have never to this day (25 years later) found myself interested in young characters.

A couple of things

1. Fans are always upset when their favorite characters are dead and they don't know if they are coming back. Marvel may try and reach out to younger fans - that is fine. But people still do not like characters they enjoyed to be removed and replaced.

2. I have never understood the argument of a young person needing to have young characters they could relate to. When I was a child, I read Iron-man, Dr. Strange, Adam Warlock, the Hulk, Spiderman, Captain America, the X-men, the Avengers, and on and on. They did not have to be my age with my problems. They just had to be good. They did not have to miss class or have girlfriend problems. They were sheer escapism and fun.
    Agreed. Also, I don't think a character has to be of any particular nationality or race in order to be relatable. Some of my favorite marvel characters include: Speedball, Night Thrasher, Nova, Silohuette, Justice, Firestar and Rage. That is a fairly diverse line up, and I never felt like I couldn't relate to any of them. Over the years, they became like old friends... like reading about family. I never even thought about their ages or the color of their skin. And in the end, isn't that the way it should be?

FabNic never wrote the new Warriors like that though..it was more serious attempt to be like teen titans IMO..not till vol.2 and vol. 3 were they sorta made into zany teens.

New Warriors was the only teen book i dug as a teen...vol. 1 from the start...they were never as zany as some of this stuff. They were books about young adults and not zany kids written in a manga exaggerated style ...I mean look at how spidey even talks in the USM cartoon...its so campy manga...not my bag man- and nothing to do with my age. That stuff was available and popular in the 90s as well...

Look at Heinenbergs YA or even Vaugns Runaways..they weren't this zany..

At least Bednis didnt change the demographic of the book i will say.

Fantastic Member

A couple of things

It's comics - the character will come back as soon as a writer pitches a good idea for him\her
    They don't have to, but different kids like different things - furthermore, I wouldn't let my pre-teen nephews\nieces read the current incarnations of many of the comics you mention, some are too violent others too complicated for them to appreciate properly yet; Marvel\DC comics' market has aged and the comics have more mature themes (I don't mean just sex\violence) than they did when I was a kid.
    As a former children's librarian, I understand what young kids like - marvel has virtually no presence in that area.
    Here's a good list for children's comics: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/...ght-after-all/ - Neither Marvel nor DCare anywhere tobe seen, they *do* need to up their game when catering to younger audiences and comics in general need those younger audiences if they are to survive as a medium. At the moment, Indies are doing a lot better than the big two.

Hmmm, the recent comments on Tom Brevoort's twitter/tmblr in which he answered a fan's question about possibly bringing back Rich some time down the line is kind of making me think that Rich might actually already be back and we just don't know it yet. Tom basically says to wait for the GotG story to play itself out before we ask the question "When will Rich be back?"

This makes me think that Rich might not actually die here and instead he will:
    A.)Get absorbed by Thanos (or just have the Nova Force taken from him).
    B.)Has been converted into some other form/being (maybe he's actually Corvus Glave? LOL)
    or
    C.)Rich was badly injured/infected by the Many Angled Ones and is being very well hidden/protected by Pete in an effort to keep Rich's enemies away and stealing the Nova Force(if he still has it) from his defenseless body until he recovers or is cured.

A Cosmic Cube being present and the very nature of the Cancerverse opens so many more possibilities other than death.
    However, It would be pretty a sweet scene if Pete were to take an upset Gamora to see where Rich's "resting place" is, only to find Rich kind of hobbling around in some hideaway attempting to recover his strength/abilities rather than an actual grave.
    Of course Rich can also simply be comatose somewhere, a side effect if Thanos did indeed steal the Nova Force from him.
    Some connection between Thanos, Nova, and Star-Lord is what has me thinking that the main reason Pete is coming for Thanos over in the pages of Legendary is to get something back FROM Thanos rather then just to outright kill him.

Whatever the case Brevoort's comments don't sound like he's alluding to anything as absolute as death (or as absolute as it can be in comics).
    ...small scraps of hope, I know. But it's SOMETHING!