Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Red Hood Outlaw #34 Preview/Eventual Discussion

https://www.newsarama.com/45057-jaso...review.html#s7

We're going head-on into the All Caste but now the way the All Blades worked have been retconned. It used to be simple blades made of Copper that could get improved by drenching them in blood, now they're completely dependant of the user's soul.

Spectacular Member

it was always based upon the soul its the reason why Jason thinks he doesn't have one anymore, the all blades are not lasting or working right for him.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Incase there was any doubt, Rebirth Jason still had to crawl himself out of his own grave.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 05-06-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    it was always based upon the soul its the reason why Jason thinks he doesn't have one anymore, the all blades are not lasting or working right for him.
    Nope

RHATO V1 #4

RHATO V1#5

RHATO V1#7

The blades weren't used again until Tynion misunderstood issue 18 and turned them into actual magical blades, something that now Lobdell is following through by retconning his previous work.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Jason has magna cum laude? from where? Al Ghul University?

...wait that may actually be it.

WOW.. I was not expecting this preview..

Nice art. Very, very nice art.
    And I guess we can write out the theory about Jason not being him but an all-caste impersonating him in the last page of the previous issue.
    I also feel like this confirms that Jason is really spiralling down a staircase because he's stubborn and angry, and careless and a bit manic. A bit like where he was in Under the Hood, but there, he was straight psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Incase there was any doubt, Rebirth Jason still had to crawl himself out of his own grave.
    Yeah, and I'm glad that's the case. Honestly, it's such a powerful and badass reintroduction / second origin that it would be a honest pity if they discard it. Also, it's cool fuel for building mystery around the character: how he really came to life again. Pulpy (as I love). Its funny how, under Lobdell, Jason reminds me of The Shadow a lot more than Bruce (it lacks a lot of elements still, but others stay closer to it. Funny, because he's almost a shadow archetype to Bruce and Dick, for example).

So the all-blades being entirely magical are definitely a stay. Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Jason has magna cum laude? from where? Al Ghul University?

...wait that may actually be it.
    I took it as a figure of speech, not a literal college "magna cum laude" (besides being a sarcastic remark). I mean: after Bruce's help, the Al Ghuls and stuff, sure he's had access to more ways for self-educating or attending higher education.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 05-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

So ... Jason has defeated Cthulhu?

I wasn't fond of the original all-blades needing blood. There is only so much blood in a human body - and blood stains on your clothes are so hard to wash out.
    But the original version could still work, like: if there isn't enough soul, the blades will take your blood and need actual physical weapons for "transportation" because in that state they can't be manifested out of thin air. Why choose between Lobdell and Tynion if you can knead everything together and take the best out of both worlds to create a more complex view instead of just having a blood-sucking sword or just a magical sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    So ... Jason has defeated Cthulhu?

I wasn't fond of the original all-blades needing blood. There is only so much blood in a human body - and blood stains on your clothes are so hard to wash out.
    But the original version could still work, like: if there isn't enough soul, the blades will take your blood and need actual physical weapons for "transportation" because in that state they can't be manifested out of thin air. Why choose between Lobdell and Tynion if you can knead everything together and take the best out of both worlds to create a more complex view instead of just having a blood-sucking sword or just a magical sword.
    True.

Also, blood isn't good for iron and I'm going to guess it's not for copper or bronze either.

And nah: that was a minion. No cultists, no madness, no Cthulhu

Because Tynion additions are terrible and the less acknowledged they are, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Because Tynion additions are terrible and the less acknowledged they are, the better.
    BTW, go back to DC Comics subreddit if you can, @Dark. They have retired your thread about the preview because the tittle. Maybe it's some issue that can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    BTW, go back to DC Comics subreddit if you can, @Dark. They have retired your thread about the preview because the tittle. Maybe it's some issue that can be changed.
    Meh, I literally used Newsarama's own title.

Spectacular Member

they're not that bad, at least he tried to finish want lobdell start unlike other writer's. greg pak called the all blade energy blades and he could fight anyone with them least tynion kept it to supernatural most of the time

Meh, I literally used Newsarama's own title.
    I know, but for whatever reason the mods decided it was too revealing by itself. No wonders there are so many threads with REDACTED or SPOILERS in their titles lately. A bit paranoid in my opinion, but what can we do. Doesn't matter much, we will have the actual issue in a few days; but I've thought that maybe you would want to try and modify it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    they're not that bad, at least he tried to finish want lobdell start unlike other writer's. greg pak called the all blade energy blades and he could fight anyone with them least tynion kept it to supernatural most of the time
    To be fair Lobdell never really established how these blades worked in his initial run of RhatO. That they can only be used against Supernatural Stuff is something that he stated much later, and I'm not even sure if that was in a comic or on twitter.