Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Zack Snyder as the head runner of the DCEU although he is still a better choice than Simon Kinberg head running X-Men movies.

Ezra Miller...I saw his portrayal more as CW Grant Gustin's Barry after he JUST got his powers, had no Team Flash, and was constantly hopped up on caffeine. In other words a somewhat exaggerated yet trimmed version of someone else's existing portrayal of Barry. Which I kinda wonder now if that was intentional. We don't have Gustin but hey here's someone kinda sorta acting like him! So weirdly perhaps I didn't mind Ezra as Barry at all BECAUSE of that.

Eisenberg...I'm on the fence cause that end credit scene in Justice League put me in the mind of how Lex should be portrayed. I liked that, but hated his Evil Zuckerberg portrayal in BvS.

Beyond that I don't think I have a problem with ANY of the casting...I guess if I had to answer, Amy Adams appearance puts me more in the mind of Lana Lang, but beyond that she's fine.

Thing about the Snyder movie actors is that I didn’t particularly like Aquaman and Wonder Woman in Justice League. But I though they were great in their own movies. So while I found Miller’s Flash annoying in JL and Cavill’s Superman wooden, maybe they could win me over in a different film. Eisenburg as Lex though, i can’t see myself ever liking him in the role. He’d be a good Riddler though.

Ultimate Member

For playing the *comic book characters* come to life on the big screen? Pretty much *everyone* was miscast. Jason Mamoa, for instance, looks and acts even less like the comic-book Aquaman than Ezra Miller's Barry Allen looks or acts like the Barry Allen of current comics (who doesn't really act much like the Barry Allen that died in Crisis on Infinite Earths, for that matter...). That applies to most of the Marvel movies, too. Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans don't look much like the comic book characters of Thor or Steve Rogers, facially, and, particularly in Thor / Chris Hemsworth's case, act *nothing* alike.

But, that being said, Jason Mamoa was pretty fun on-screen, and I don't care that they cast someone that looked and acted nothing like comic-book Arthur Curry, because he was at least entertaining. Similarly Gal Gadot may not have the impossible physique of comic-book Wonder Woman, but who cares, I'd rather see her version of Wonder Woman than some busy Pamela Lee Anderson type hamming it up and being more 'comics accurate' to her ridiculously unrealistic comic-book anatomy.

Who failed for me was Eisenberg as Lex. I don't care that he was young and thin, for a 'Lex' (since I liked Michael Rosenbaum as Lex, in Smallville), but hated how he acted, and having seen him in a few other films, like Now You See Me, I just don't like his hyperactive babbling ADD-style of line delivery. I don't care if he's *accurate to the comics* so much as that he's cool, or sinister, or fun to watch. He was none of those things. Jared Leto's Joker may not have been any more 'accurate to the comics' than Heath Ledger's or Jack Nicholson's or George Romero's, but I at least found all of them *fun to watch.* Jesse Eisenberg's Lex, not so much.

Ditto CGI Steppenwolf. Horribly miscast. The main villain of the Justice League was a cartoon with an axe, named after Canadian rock band that was last popular when my mom was a teenager? I don't even get it. There wasn't even a magic carpet ride. I feel cheated. Yeesh, they could have at least picked an old Canadian rock band I like, and faced the Justice League off against Heart, or Loverboy, or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Ezra Miller...I saw his portrayal more as CW Grant Gustin's Barry after he JUST got his powers, had no Team Flash, and was constantly hopped up on caffeine. In other words a somewhat exaggerated yet trimmed version of someone else's existing portrayal of Barry. Which I kinda wonder now if that was intentional. We don't have Gustin but hey here's someone kinda sorta acting like him! So weirdly perhaps I didn't mind Ezra as Barry at all BECAUSE of that.
    Miller felt like a composite of Wally and Bart more then he felt like Barry, which kind of fit to me if only on the level of him coming off more like Kid Flash then an actual Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    My choice

1. Ares. He was a very handsome and strong god, not some old dude with mustache in his real form.

2. Luthor. Enough has been said by others.

3. Lois. I still think Teri Hatcher is the best Lois, Amy was fine just doesn't fit the role so well.
    Personally, I don't care if an actor really matches the comic version or if the character is different than in the comics. Granted they should have at least de-aged the actor who played Ares when he showed his true form. I personally thought Amy was great as Lois. But what most of us agree on was that their choice of Lex Luthor was horrible not just because it was not any previous version but because it sucked on it's own merits.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    1. Luthor — it might not have been the casting as much as the interpretation of the character was really bad.

2. Affleck — You can argue he was credible under the cape — but the problem is that the Batman part of the character is the easiest to play. It’s Bruce where Affleck utterly and totally failed.

3. Meta — Just not a strong actress, and i liked her when she was the Bold and the Beautiful.
    For Luther, it was both the way it was written and the casting which seemed to be because of how it was written.
    Power with Girl is better.

I have different feelings about Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in that I generally liked his take.

That was because of how I interpreted his behavior. My feeling is that we are seeing a Lex Luthor that has already met the New Gods of Apokolips -- certainly Steppenwolf, if not Darkseid himself. That's evident from the end where he creates Doomsday, but even before that when he's talking to Holly Hunter in his library and he shows her the upside down picture on his wall and says that sometimes a god doesn't come from above, but comes from below. He's likening the New Gods to demonic forces.

It was my sense in watching the movie in the theater that his meeting with the New Gods unhinged him a bit and made his reality all topsy-turvy. As a billionaire businessman, Lex was undoubtedly accustomed to being powerful and almighty -- someone who could use his money and power to bend others to his will.

Meeting the New Gods showed him just how small, inconsequential, and powerless he was in the Universe, and that made him a little loopy -- not to mention the fact that he probably didn't believe in gods and demons in the first place -- until he met them.

That's why when he was making the speech at his party that Clark, Bruce, and Diana were at, he lost his train of thought and started to babble a little. It wasn't just some Eisenberg actor-quirk. It was that his entire sense of reality was upended and he still processing the enormity of what he's experienced, that beings such as the New Gods could actually exist, what he knows is coming regarding Darkseid's ultimate goal and his place in it, and trying to maintain some sense of feeling that he has some control in his life when he really doesn't.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-08-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Astonishing Member

Well, I prefer the Luthor who could meet with the Sandman universe Death and keep his act together.

Eisenberg was a Zuckerberg little putz with no presence as a strong and credible menace.

I don't have a problem with Ares being elderly and diminished. Thematically, it fitted, and they made him look more formidable visually in the flashback sequence.

Quite why he was still sporting a giant silly early twentieth century moustache in the brief flashback I have no idea, though Unless he was influencing history to make his choice of facial hair socially acceptable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    My choice

1. Ares. He was a very handsome and strong god, not some old dude with mustache in his real form.

2. Luthor. Enough has been said by others.

3. Lois. I still think Teri Hatcher is the best Lois, Amy was fine just doesn't fit the role so well.
    I agree about Hatcher being the best Lois Lane, at least for the first two seasons of it.
    Also from Lois and Clark, I’d say Lane Smith was hands down the best Perry White.... Even John Shea was a pretty good Lex.