Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Another vote for Ezra Miller as “Barry Allen”...........I have no idea who that was supposed to be but it was not Barry Allen. I hope his solo movie never gets off the ground.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

For all those who say Ezra's Barry didn't resemble Barry - What is Barry supposed to be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    For all those who say Ezra's Barry didn't resemble Barry - What is Barry supposed to be like?
    More serious and competent, not quirky and weird. Clearly blond. Less Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory more Captain America in Endgame when he is telling jokes
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-08-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    More serious and competent, not quirky and weird. Clearly blond. Less Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory more Captain America in Endgame when he is telling jokes
    While I'm assuming most of those are fine arguments (I haven't read any of Barry Allen in the comics yet), the blond thing seems unimportant to me. I understand the character not acting right being a concern, but not having the right hair color I don't get.

Who do you think would do a better job portraying the character? Or is it more an issue of how he's written than who plays him?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While I'm assuming most of those are fine arguments (I haven't read any of Barry Allen in the comics yet), the blond thing seems unimportant to me. I understand the character not acting right being a concern, but not having the right hair color I don't get.

Who do you think would do a better job portraying the character? Or is it more an issue of how he's written than who plays him?
    I don't really care about the hair color, as John Wesley Shipp played a fine Barry Allen in the 90s and has brown hair. It was more the portrayal and how he was written. It seemed like they were almost going for borderline on the spectrum with how socially aloof & awkward he was. I just didn't understand at all where they were coming from with his portrayal in the Justice League film. Their interpretation of the character was Barry Allen in name only.

While Barry is more of an introverted character he still has confidence and can interact with others in a group setting.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm kinda torn on him. I found him entertaining, but it didn't feel like Barry Allen.

Then again you can argue MCU Starlord didn't feel like Starlord (until the comics starting writing him that way too).
    Star Lord is a character that's isnt iconic in the least so theres so much more wiggle room. Most of the MCU has significant changes but most them character capture the spirit of the character and then after they make u love the character maybe they take it even further away from the source material. Tony felt less and less like Comic Stark as time went on. Thor had a drastic change but it was only after they accepted Thor wasnt connecting with the audience like other heroes and yes a few people hate new Thor with a passion but overall his popularity has gone through the roof to where now hes actually a fan favorite. Nothing wrong with changing stuff I mean it's an adaption but its gotta be in a way that adds to the character for people and works.

I think a Drasticaly different Superman can work without all the "That ain't the superman I know " talk. But the key is it's got to be Good to the masses, not very divisive. The Dark Knights a perfect example of this. Ledger did his own thing but all the creative license added to the character didnt make people go" well why the fu** did they do that?".

But I will say I was willing to give Ezra another chance but they either needed to play into him being autistic and make it part of the character in a way that adds to the story. Dont just make his so weird and dorky that he comes off as on the spectrum. I dont think they ever intended for him to be autistic but alot of people came away from that movie thinking his character was somewhere on the spectrum. I will say Ezra was charming and sold some of the Jokes.

BANNED

I don't really get the "he's not iconic Barry" discussion. Flash is kind of iconic, but no significant audience has any preconceived notion of who Barry is or what motivates him. He's as blank a slate as you could hope for in a superhero movie. Yes, comic Barry has his fans (I'm one of them) but we are a very tiny group.

If there was one redeeming thing about Justice League, it was Ezra Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I don't really get the "he's not iconic Barry" discussion. Flash is kind of iconic, but no significant audience has any preconceived notion of who Barry is or what motivates him. He's as blank a slate as you could hope for in a superhero movie. Yes, comic Barry has his fans (I'm one of them) but we are a very tiny group.

If there was one redeeming thing about Justice League, it was Ezra Miller.
    Agreed. I was not familiar with Barry Allen or the Flash character until the JL cartoons and the new TV show, and Ezra didn't feel that different to the character overall to me as I see him as more funny than serious guy. He was often the comic relief in the JL cartoon, and I think the live action movie took inspiration on that. Even in the TV show during the first season, he was a pretty optimistic guy despite his family tragedy. Like you say, the masses aren't very familiar with him yet (not like Batman and Superman), so he can be reinterpreted. Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was vastly different to George Reeves' version, so it happens.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-08-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Ultimate Member

The usual suspects;

Jessie Eisenberg as Luthor
    Ben Affleck as Batman
    The british dude (Ray Fiennes? Ralph Fiennes?) as Ares

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the problem with the Enchantress was less the casting and more how horribly written the character was. I don't think any actress could have done anything with that mess.
    Yeah, she was great in Valerian so I don't think it was the actress messing up that role, but the bad writing.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-08-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Niffleheim

Affleck as Barman.rolled my eyes every time. I knew they were striving to fail after his casting
    Ezra as The Flash. For a character whose superpowers is to run he can't run properly
    Jared Leto as Joker. I laughed my ass off.
    Eisenberg could have worked but his and the director' s choices were horrible.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-08-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Jesse Eisenberg
    Ezra Miller
    Jared Leto

Those three really didn't work me. None of them are bad actors but I wasn't a fan of the acting choices they made when portraying their characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The usual suspects;

The british dude (Ray Fiennes? Ralph Fiennes?) as Ares
    David Thewlis played Ares.

Ralph Fiennes voiced Alfred in he Lego Batman movies.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 05-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Eisenberg as Lex could have worked perhaps if he was played more like how he was in The Social Network or the Now You See Me films.

Eisenberg and Leto, definitely.

Retired

There are actors that seem miscast that actually turn out to be good. And there are actors that you think are good casting that turn out to be not good in the part.

With Will Smith I didn't like the casting, but in the movie itself I thought he did a good job and I enjoyed his part of the movie (SUICIDE SQUAD is like a collection of mini character stories, within a bad framing device). Jesse Eisenberg I expected to be great and I was let down by how ill-conceived and annoying his Lex Luthor was.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Agreed. I was not familiar with Barry Allen or the Flash character until the JL cartoons and the new TV show, and Ezra didn't feel that different to the character overall to me as I see him as more funny than serious guy. He was often the comic relief in the JL cartoon, and I think the live action movie took inspiration on that. Even in the TV show during the first season, he was a pretty optimistic guy despite his family tragedy. Like you say, the masses aren't very familiar with him yet (not like Batman and Superman), so he can be reinterpreted. Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was vastly different to George Reeves' version, so it happens.
    For the record Barry was not in the JL cartoons that was Wally and Michale Rosenbaum knocked the voice acting out the park. But yea the average person dont know the difference, alot of people thought they white washed Green lantern because John Stewart was all they knew from the cartoon.

For me the big problem wasnt that he was funny I liked that part. It was that he came off ass autistic and the film makers seemed oblivious. It didnt seem intentional at all. If it was I could get behind that as a choice. Dax is the closest thing we got to a Autistic hero. I'm sure Reed will have low EQ when we finally meet him but yea. Flash seemed off but then would make a charming joke. Then go right back to feeling like my autistic nephew. Again if it seemed intentional that they wanted his character to be on the spectrum I could see that working but it clearly was suppose to be he was just really nerdy and weird.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 05-08-2019 at 01:36 PM.