Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool On the Outside: The Øutsiders Appreciation/Discussion thread '19

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is going down the tubes, and her most beloved heroes are the worst-positioned people to do anything about it. Like it or not, you're elected to save the day -- and you're going to be hated for it."
    - Batman

the Outsiders return to the page this week! And with YJ: Outsiders returning in a little over two months, I figured it's time for an appreciation thread in honor of DC's black-ops team of misfits.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Default Preview from Issue 1. Who's excited?

Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Good choice of thread title.

I was so ready for the art on this. Beautiful. Hill's writing from the Detective arc was good and now he gets to open it up in this title. It was a long wait but I'm excited to start on this book.

I was a big fan of the original BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS. Jim Aparo's art was, as always, fantastic. And Mike W. Barr's writing really made them seem like a family. I'll check out the new series for sure, despite not being a big fan of Signal. I hope they bring Halo back, seeing as how she's appeared with Katana in her SUICIDE SQUAD minis.

huh...I was at the point of thinking this book wasn't ever going to come out.

Looking forward to this . Hopefully, it will deliver.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Sold! I was on the fence before because I'm only interested in half the characters and I was never a fan of the original title, but the art has pushed this into the "buy" pile for me. (even though the composition in that Katana frame is awkward in terms of her sword strike)

The "trinity" of church shootings is eerily prescient though. (I imagine this was written awhile ago...)

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Since the beggining, The Outsiders were always among my favorites. My favorite run is the Barr/Pelltier (Later Jones, which was a HUGE step down in the art department) run in the 90's, which, IMHO, truly made them feel as Outsiders. Too bad it was so short. I'm looking foward to read the first TPB of this new run, but I can also see a few signs that, probably, I won't like it very much.
    First, the make up of the team. Too small a team and with very little range in powers and abilities. Jeff and Katana are awsome, of course, but I'm not much of a fan of Cassandra Cain, and have to say I know very little about the Signal (I read in the first posts of this series that he has powers. What are they?), but I'd much rather not have members so derrivative nor attached to the Batman. That was never the case with the Outsiders. They've always been a faily powered (not exactly the Justice League in terms of powers, but still quite powerful) group of individual heroes. I'd love to see guys like Looker, Halo, Atomic Knight, Faust, Geo-Force, Blue Devil, or others added to the line-up (one or two of them at the most).
    Second, time travel? Really? I'm always wary of those.
    Still, I'll give the TPB a shot, and hope for the best.

Peace