Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool On the Outside: The Øutsiders Appreciation/Discussion thread '19

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is going down the tubes, and her most beloved heroes are the worst-positioned people to do anything about it. Like it or not, you're elected to save the day -- and you're going to be hated for it."
    - Batman

the Outsiders return to the page this week! And with YJ: Outsiders returning in a little over two months, I figured it's time for an appreciation thread in honor of DC's black-ops team of misfits.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Default Preview from Issue 1. Who's excited?

Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Good choice of thread title.

I was so ready for the art on this. Beautiful. Hill's writing from the Detective arc was good and now he gets to open it up in this title. It was a long wait but I'm excited to start on this book.

I was a big fan of the original BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS. Jim Aparo's art was, as always, fantastic. And Mike W. Barr's writing really made them seem like a family. I'll check out the new series for sure, despite not being a big fan of Signal. I hope they bring Halo back, seeing as how she's appeared with Katana in her SUICIDE SQUAD minis.

huh...I was at the point of thinking this book wasn't ever going to come out.

Looking forward to this . Hopefully, it will deliver.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Sold! I was on the fence before because I'm only interested in half the characters and I was never a fan of the original title, but the art has pushed this into the "buy" pile for me. (even though the composition in that Katana frame is awkward in terms of her sword strike)

The "trinity" of church shootings is eerily prescient though. (I imagine this was written awhile ago...)

So, I've read issue 1 of BatO and here's the verdict :

spoilers:
    It's a good issue 1 for a team book. None of the characters truly felt mischaracterized or forgotten, even if you can feel that the pacing suffer a little bit from having both to present the first arc's objective, retreading the past events of the On the Outside arc of Detective Comics earlier last year and setting up the team itself.

Other than that, I feel that Hill and Soy are doing a great job with the characters, by setting up two sets of "normal/meta" together -namely Duke and Cass for the young members and Black Lightning and Katana for the adults- which both have differences and similarities which should allow for an excellent dynamic if evolved properly. Perhaps my only true complaint here is that Hill doesn't seem to want to make use of The Signal's meta abilities, and that Cass may be a little too much in the background, but I feel that both can change relatively easily in the future.

As for Batman, I think he's used really well here. He's obviously a part of it, but mostly outside -eh- of the Outsiders themselves. And since Hill doesn't shy away from his long shadow over the team -with two members of the Bat-Family there- I have the feeling that Batman won't crush the rest of the cast.

The final twist is also insane, and can either go really well or really bad. I just hope that Caliber won't be wasted but developed really well in the future. I mean, Booster Gold is already DC's Cable -sort of- but this one could have potential.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Korath; 05-08-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Pretty crazy that the storyline this follows up on wrapped up like nine months ago.

Hill does good job showing a little bit of the heroes' life outside of the costumes, something I felt Tynion's Detective run was lacking. Cass seems to have developed a thing for motorcycles (that biker jacket version of her costume looks pretty bitching, wish it was part of her real costume).

spoilers:
    I don't know how I feel about Hill using a time travel trope in the first issue though because I hate time travel stories.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SneakyLookingSort; 05-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Expectations: Exceeded

This is an A+ start for this creative team. The art was everything I was hoping for and more. I already knew the writing was going to be on point with Hill. Dude is great.

The stage that they set is really interesting and I can't wait to see where this goes.

I've started to read the 1983 Outsiders (yeah, I liked this issue that much) but I'm wondering something about Markovia : where is it exactly ? It's supposed to be in East Europe, and the name itself hints at it -at least to an European like me.

But on the first issue of the 1883's series, it's situated between France, Belgium and Luxembourg. Which means that it's a Western Country here. Does anyone knows if the location was changed ?

I like this start, I'm glad they are devoting time to examining Duke's character and I hope we can start building him up now. Man, the art is great! Dexter Soy style is perfect for Black Lightning, I look forward to seeing how they showcase the characters going forward. I would like it if they had Sofia join the team just to dilute the Bat-concentration on the team but I would be fine if she didn't and I'm interested to see where the story goes. Kalibar is clearly a Cable pastiche but he looks pretty rad. I like that they are going up against Ras al Ghul for their first big bad, at first sounded like a weird choice but thinking about it Ras would be an interesting challenge for Black Lightning and he's connected to half the team. Great opening issue.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.

currently following:

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I've started to read the 1983 Outsiders (yeah, I liked this issue that much) but I'm wondering something about Markovia : where is it exactly ? It's supposed to be in East Europe, and the name itself hints at it -at least to an European like me.

But on the first issue of the 1883's series, it's situated between France, Belgium and Luxembourg. Which means that it's a Western Country here. Does anyone knows if the location was changed ?
    I always thought it was next door to Germany and I was kinda right.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I always thought it was next door to Germany and I was kinda right.

Sure, but it's definitively NOT in Eastern Europe.

In fact, considering the place, and the "borders" of language, there is very much a chance that Markovia's language is split between a germanic one and a french one. That's really surprising, because I always portrayed it has a very Slav country, situated more around Bulgaria/Romania/Moldavia than here, stuck between Wallons, Luxembourger and Northern French peoples.

And it's particularly jarring here since the text calls it an Eastern European country, when, well, no. It's not even a Central European one, because it hasn't even a common border with Germany.

It's seriously driving me insane !

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Sure, but it's definitively NOT in Eastern Europe.

In fact, considering the place, and the "borders" of language, there is very much a chance that Markovia's language is split between a germanic one and a french one. That's really surprising, because I always portrayed it has a very Slav country, situated more around Bulgaria/Romania/Moldavia than here, stuck between Wallons, Luxembourger and Northern French peoples.

And it's particularly jarring here since the text calls it an Eastern European country, when, well, no. It's not even a Central European one, because it hasn't even a common border with Germany.

It's seriously driving me insane !
    According to DC fandom:

"In Batman and the Outsiders #1, Markovia was said to be in Eastern Europe, and the map accompanying it placed it in Belgium, taking over parts of Belgian Luxembourg and Namur - not Eastern Europe by any stretch of the imagination. Outsiders #21 describes it as Western European, and Infinity Inc. Special #1 as a principality rather than a kingdom. The Atlas of the DC Universe describes it as a Western European republic located just west of Lake Como, taking the place of the southern tip of Switzerland's Ticino canton. Guide to the DC Universe Secret Files and Origins 2000 also calls it Western European, and places it in the border region of Austria and Hungary."

Interesting. So, there isn't really a set location for it, right about now. it's more a mesh of Slavic influences roughly put in an European map (it's bound to happen with most fictional countries). I wonder how it'll be portrayed in this run. Because we all know it's coming, right ?