Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Excellent interview of Bryan Hill on Batman and The Outsiders. He breaks down so much of the 1st issue as well as the outlook of the series.

https://taylornetworkofpodcasts.com/...the-outsiders/

Interestingly, the delays seems to have been because Hill wanted to change the script, once he knew that Dexter Soy would be the artist on the book, to give him more space to express his style, which I like.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

First issue was great. Best first issue from DC I've read in a while, in fact.

So glad to see Katana actually doing something again, too. I bought Suicide Squad just for her the last few years, and her appearance in this single issue is already more memorable than anything that book ever offered.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I liked the first issue. Interested in seeing where Hill wants to go with this team.

The cover for issue 4 is out, and it's dope !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I would say that the main problem with the mini was that it very felt like the middle of a larger series for me. There is tons of characters I don't know about, and aliens and everything, and I was seriously confused. In itself, the story isn't bad, but it really doesn't help readers who don't have a larger knowledge of BL mythos to understand what's happening.

That's why I think that I'll take a BatO as a stealth book for Black Lightning over nothing, especially when Hills is really hinting at the separation between Batman and the Outsiders (the team being named first when the four members are gathered after downing Saint John). Pierce is also a lot less subservient to Batman than he was in the original series, and the very fact that he had no qualm to say that he didn't want to go after Sofia because he felt it was just a way to get the team out of Batman's mind and way was quite telling that he wasn't a lackey of the Bat, at least to me.
    This is my general takeway from the Cold Dead Hands mini, as someone who otherwise enjoyed it and feels it's a good story in its own right. Really, it felt more like a single 6-issue story arc within a larger on-going run that sadly never existed.

Mighty Member

The cover for issue 4 is out, and it's dope !

I kinda wish they were fighting a villain that was more associated with The Outsiders.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I kinda wish they were fighting a villain that was more associated with The Outsiders.
    I'm still reading the original run, but is there really a villain associated closely with the Outsiders ? I felt it was more a series focused on the team and its dynamic more so than a book with specific villains (save some Black Lightning ones, I guess).

How do you guys feel about Kalibar? I dig his design, a lot of people are going with the low hanging fruit saying he's DC's Cable but I getting more of a extra cybernetic Terminator vibe. I think Korath may be on to something, it would make sense given the timing/delay of the series.

Edit: also, Hill said, in X-Men terms, Batman is Magneto in relation to the Outsiders, what do you think that could mean?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-18-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Guess my theory of Kaliber being a post-apocaliptic Oliver Quenn was completly wrong. Oh well.

HA! I knew all these sites calling Kaliber a Cable rip-off/analog were making a lazy, and rushed, comparison. I'm digging this preview, Hill said that this will be an action-packed punk rock tinged series, so I wonder if they will have an action set piece (like Black Lightning's raijin introduction in issue #1) every issue. If so, I wonder what this issue's action scene will be.

Fragile, huh? I could warm up to the name Fragile if she stuck around and joined the team.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-10-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Yeah, I must confess I'm both a little sad that he isn't a rip-off, and really amused by the whole thing.

Also, I really dig the potential of Fragile, especially for a character who is anything but that.

I also note that at least a portion of the Ark operations wasn't shut down by Batman apparently. Ishmael really is interesting because of it.

I soaked in the art but didn't want to spoil my reading for Wednesday. Anticipation is through the roof for this series!

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I soaked in the art but didn't want to spoil my reading for Wednesday. Anticipation is through the roof for this series!
    I feel you, Soy was an excellent pick for this book, his style matches the action flick feel of the book.

currently following: