Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Women of Marvel Panel Aims to Inspire, Dispel Stereotypes

Female creators from across Marvel (plus Axel Alonso) gathered at Comic-Con International to discuss the impact women have at the company.

Full article here.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

Land on a female based title?

... So, basically 22 pages of Victoria's Secret ads and Maxim pinups every month.

Invincible Member

Interesting, but I kinda wish they'd went more in depth about breaking into the big 2 as females. Maybe problems they'd run into while networking or working around the fact that they're working a largely male dominated industry.

So the new Spiderwoman book is targeting a different audience than say Cap Marvel or She-Hulk? The latter two used to be very sexualized but their current titles are pretty obviously avoiding that kind of approach. Greg Land however is utterly incapable of depicting female characters in anything but sexualized manner. The new Spiderwoman ongoing is Marvel's sexed up super-heroine title from now on? I think I'll pass.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I appreciate all of these sentiments from Marvel, but putting Greg Land on a female-led title completely contradicts this entire panel.

Ultimate Member

While my dislike for Land's "art" is well known, his work on MA is not terrible. If Spider-Woman has art like that, then it'll at least be tolerable. And I can overlook mediocre art if the writing is good. Also Land gets stuff done on time and for some reason that I cannot comprehend, he sells. So it's likely a business decision on Marvel's part. Plus, putting him on ONE book in no way contradicts the point of the panel. Marvel has made a real push to give female characters their own books, and they're all good to great so far. So they deserve praise for that at least. Now if only the movie division would do the same.

Marvel aren't going to "dispel stereotypes" any time soon by putting Greg Land on Spider-Woman. Unless Dennis Hopeless and their editor are pushing Land to draw characters in a way that is outside his comfort zone, which would be a good thing for him to work on.

Women titles written by men`s point of view. How many women are writing series at Marvel ? 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya1000 View Post
    Women titles written by men`s point of view. How many women are writing series at Marvel ? 2 ?
    Once Angela drops, that number will be 2.5... damn I wish they could steal Gail Simone already and have her write something, she was great on Deadpool/Agent X and has only improved based on my reading of Secret Six and what people say of her other New 52 DC stuff.

BANNED

Is it my imagination or is this panel the same every single year? Well, this year only had a taped message from Kelly Sue DeConnick, so there wasn't as much of a chance for her to exclude male attendees. That was an improvement. Other than that, it seems like it's the same thing to me every year.