Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In terms of Zendaya's Michelle Jones being a class clown in high school and a loner, that's straight from Tom Defalco's classic origin story of MJ in ASM#259 ("Be All My Past Remembered"). Mary Jane never went to high school with Peter so that part of her life was addressed there, and Defalco presented her as a kind of awkward teenager who was a clown and loner, who liked to command attention and so on.
    She's in high school and not in college. It's not faithful to MJ as she was in high school which we were told and shown by Defalco. It's basically trying to do an amalgamated take of MJ's college characterization and putting that in teenage high school form.
    Which is it?

I've not seen any Spider-Man comics where Mary Jane acted like Michelle Jones (certainly not in DeFalco's run). You'd probably be best off posting the relevant panels/pages.

Why do you insist so much that MJ be shown and known only for her depiction in the L-R era but don't apply those standards to Gwen Stacy who is never shown once as she was in the L-R era. None of the screen Gwens we have hate Spider-Man or blame him for her father's death. To me it seems that you are just trying to undermine the character by insisting on your arbitrary criteria for faithfulness. And again inconsistent. Because MJ was introduced in college and not in high school.
    You're making several assumptions.

I don't recall ever discussing the various Gwen adaptations, other than the time you cried foul on her doing science in her college science class in Life Story #1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I've not seen any Spider-Man comics where Mary Jane acted like Michelle Jones (certainly not in DeFalco's run). You'd probably be best off posting the relevant panels/pages.
    ASM #259 - Page 5
    ASM 259 - Page 5.jpg

ASM #259 - Page 10
    ASM 259 - Page 10.jpg

MJ wasn't the same character in college as she was in high school. Since Roger Stern established her backstory of troubled youth and broken home, Defalco realized that he needed to find a way to show how she changed to becoming the MJ we first saw in ASM#42-43. So he established her as an awkward high school class clown who mostly tried and failed to get attention by doing stupid stunts.

But again why is it you are so fixated on MJ being shown as in he L-R era while criticizing every other version when you don't bother to apply those standards consistently across the board to all characters?

Astonishing Member

ASM #259 - Page 5
    ASM 259 - Page 5.jpg

ASM #259 - Page 10
    ASM 259 - Page 10.jpg

MJ wasn't the same character in college as she was in high school. Since Roger Stern established her backstory of troubled youth and broken home, Defalco realized that he needed to find a way to show how she changed to becoming the MJ we first saw in ASM#42-43. So he established her as an awkward high school class clown who mostly tried and failed to get attention by doing stupid stunts.

But again why is it you are so fixated on MJ being shown as in he L-R era while criticizing every other version when you don't bother to apply those standards consistently across the board to all characters?
    I am a huge MJ fan, and I am the first one to say that Zendeya is NOT classic MJ, but neither was Kirsten Dunst. I think Zendeya comes closer to print MJ, because she has a bit more attitude, while Dunst was.a bit too nice. For me the best Parker woman movie performance was Zoe Kravitz as MJ, then Emma Stone ( Gwen), followed by Zendeya, Dunst and Felicity Jones last.

Astonishing Member

ASM #259 - Page 5
    ASM 259 - Page 5.jpg

ASM #259 - Page 10
    ASM 259 - Page 10.jpg
    That doesn't read like Michelle to me.

You're making assumptions about my motivations and opinions again.

The discussion goes where the discussion goes. I can give an opinion on one character without having to give an opinion on every other character in the series. That being said, I already mentioned Homecoming's Ned Leeds in this thread, as another character who has nothing to do with his comic book namesake.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah, is it...how do i faithfully represent the source material on screen? or is it how do i take all the elements available to me within this IP and make the best spider-man movie from scratch?

neither is wrong in my books
    I don't think one necessarily negates the other, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think one necessarily negates the other, in my opinion.
    yeah, i was presenting two extremes. there’s a whole mix of things in between
    troo fan or death

Comic Geek in General

So, who’s down for them undoing One More Day completely? I’m tired of “more relatable Single Peter because marriage to a former model turned actress was unbelievable, he must always be single and suffer” mandate from One More Day

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    So, who’s down for them undoing One More Day completely? I’m tired of “more relatable Single Peter because marriage to a former model turned actress was unbelievable, he must always be single and suffer” mandate from One More Day
    I have always been against OMD and would love to see it undone. Believe it or not, evem more today then when it came out. Why? It is unnecessary.. Into the Spider-Verse showed there can be another successful teenage Spider-Man ( Miles), so Pete does not need to be a teenager or act like one. He can be a married to MJ with kids.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I have always been against OMD and would love to see it undone. Believe it or not, evem more today then when it came out. Why? It is unnecessary.. Into the Spider-Verse showed there can be another successful teenage Spider-Man ( Miles), so Pete does not need to be a teenager or act like one. He can be a married to MJ with kids.
    There's also the fact that the Spider-Man of Homecoming is basically a whiteboy Miles rather than the original Peter of the comics. So Peter can't even be himself as a teenager anymore, he has to vampirically suck blood from his legacies to continue in that version.

I think undoing OMD will be popular across the board, in Spider-Man, across Marvel as a whole and in the wider community. It would be great were it to happen.

BANNED

OMD made a lot of noise, and it echos arguably louder than anything else that has come out of the range since. Undoing it would reduce the volume, though I don't think it'll ever be truly diminished.

Still, I'd rather see OMD dealt with in some form, be it just Peter and MJ regaining their memories of marriage or everyone's memories of the marriage being restored, and seeing how they deal with everything that happened in their gap years, who they are as people now and whether they want to stay and commit, or take it slow and amicably go about their lives until they're confidant their love can sustain itself long-term again.

Astonishing Member

There's also the fact that the Spider-Man of Homecoming is basically a whiteboy Miles rather than the original Peter of the comics. So Peter can't even be himself as a teenager anymore, he has to vampirically suck blood from his legacies to continue in that version.

I think undoing OMD will be popular across the board, in Spider-Man, across Marvel as a whole and in the wider community. It would be great were it to happen.
    I agree about Holland's Pete being a version of Miles. But it was still better then Andrew Garfield. What I think about Garfield is best unsaid, but I can think of only a couple of superhero performances that were worse: Clooney's Batman, Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl and Ed Gale's Howard The Duck. Basically, Emma Stone ( Gwen) saved ASM from being as bad as Batman and Robin.

BANNED

I actually like Batman and Robin a hell of a lot more than I like most MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I actually like Batman and Robin a hell of a lot more than I like most MCU movies.
    I also prefer DC Movies to Marvel ( although I prefer Marvel Comics). If I made a Top 10 list ( in no particular order). The Dark Knight trilogy, the Keaton Batman's, the first two Reeve Superman's, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Red ( actually a DC comic). All DC. But Batman & Robin does not make the list.

BANNED

I think Garfield is a terrific actor. I just don't think he was right to play a superhero, and certainly not Spider-Man. He was passionate about the project and so on...and it's a good example of someone being talented, capable, and passionate (i.e. a "true fan") and still not being right for the part. But given the nature of the Marc Webb project and so on, I don't think anyone else could have done good there. Mind you I don't think Tom Holland is right either. I think he's worked so far mainly as a supporting character to Iron Man and that's how the movies made him work with the character.

Peter Parker is a hard character to get right because he is so dynamic with so many changes to him. You need an actor who can grow and take different aspects which is hard. Someone like Al Pacino in the first Godfather movies where we see him be a romantic hero, the "kid" brother of the family, and then have him become husband, father, patriarch. We see someone go from being naive to being totally ruthless and cold-blooded. There Pacino plays a character with a lot of different states and facets and each one works and is consistent to what came before. A more heroic example is Harry Potter, where we see the actors as kids and then teenagers and end with them as adults. Although personally I think the actor who played the Neville kid is what you want in a Peter Parker. Total dork to total badass and it's convincing and earned.

Peter starts from the Ditko era as a specky teenage loner without friends who somehow over issues becomes a handsome hunk that Gwen Stacy and Betty Brant, and Liz Allan pine for. As Spider-Man he's supposed to be an awkward underdog hero but also someone that both Mary Jane Watson and Felicia Hardy finds sexy and irresistible and basically a romantic glamorous figure for some people. Tobey Maguire for instance visibly looked like the Ditko Peter but he was then brought into a Romita world and he remained this quiet, lonely, sad guy. Garfield visually looks like the Romita Peter more than any other actor but he's also not quiet at all, and basically comes off as an ******* and not in a flawed-but-good way but as a regular prick. Holland's Peter again looks like Ditko Peter but with a certain blandness and niceness that does nothing for the character. His main emotional range is bug-eyed shock and talking enthusiastically.

Wish it would, but that's not my call.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)