Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 420
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    111

    Default I know that MJ is Peter's main squeeze...

    but I like the moments when Peter plays the field like with Black Cat. By the way does she factor in the current run? I don't know but I feel like once two characters get together and married the relationship can get boring. Felicia and Peter have way more heat. MJ and Peter are like leftover meatloaf.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I don't know but I feel like once two characters get together and married the relationship can get boring.
    Ah, the long outdated Moonlighting defence. As old as I am.

    Peter and MJ are many things together. Boring is never one of them.

    Hell in the last decade or so, the continuities that kept them married (newspaper strip, Renew Your Vows) managed to make them lively and engaging all without petty squabbles or worries over Peter being Spider-Man.

    Felicia and Peter have way more heat. MJ and Peter are like leftover meatloaf.
    Peter and Felicia don't really have much in common either to make a long-standing relationship work. They have chemistry, but do not posses one tenth of the understanding and connective bond Peter shares with MJ.

    MJ is a meal that sustains you every day in life. Felicia is fast food, fills a spot, but is ultimately hazardous
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-07-2019 at 04:39 AM.

  3. #3
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Not worth arguing this point with Mary Jane loyalists. Many of them believe in the fictional sanctity of Peter and Mary Jane's relationship regardless of how plodding and monotonous it can become. Despite her compelling chemistry with Peter, Felicia is often dismissed as a "side-chick" or written off as the villain/loser. Few ever consider the positive influence Peter has on Felicia, preferring the supportive role of Mary Jane instead.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    but I like the moments when Peter plays the field like with Black Cat. By the way does she factor in the current run? I don't know but I feel like once two characters get together and married the relationship can get boring. Felicia and Peter have way more heat. MJ and Peter are like leftover meatloaf.
    MJ hasn't always been Peter's "main squeeze"; she didn't even have a major role like that for over a decade of Spider-Man's beginning run.

    But as to how good or how "boring" the two of them are together, it has nothing to do with the characters themselves: the fault lies within the abilities and the whims of the writers (and the editors).

  5. #5
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Not worth arguing this point with Mary Jane loyalists. Many of them believe in the fictional sanctity of Peter and Mary Jane's relationship regardless of how plodding and monotonous it can become. Despite her compelling chemistry with Peter, Felicia is often dismissed as a "side-chick" or written off as the villain/loser. Few ever consider the positive influence Peter has on Felicia, preferring the supportive role of Mary Jane instead.
    Felicia's problem is she wasn't (co-)created by Stan, so she hardly rates.

    (Also, to the general population, she's an imitation Catwoman. And if people want such a thing, they'll go to the source.)

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Not worth arguing this point with Mary Jane loyalists.
    Because you'd lose

    Few ever consider the positive influence Peter has on Felicia, preferring the supportive role of Mary Jane instead.
    Mary Jane understands Peter better than anyone, Felicia may have been influenced by Peter's kind heart and actions, but she never allowed it to change her morally greyer attributes, which is what makes her an ill-fit for a long-term partner.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-07-2019 at 07:26 AM.

  7. #7
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Because you'd lose

    A battle not worth fighting and a victory I'm not after. I encourage the OP to express his or her own opinion without the immediate scorn of others. It's fiction—pursue your own interests instead of a majority consensus.

    Mary Jane understands Peter better than anyone, Felicia may have been influenced by Peter's kind heart and actions, but she never allowed it to change her morally greyer attributes, which is what makes her an ill-fit for a long-term partner.
    I am not interested in arguing or even debating the merits of fictional relationships; I'm interested in new and compelling storylines. This is the stuff of fantasy and imagination spanning decades. If you're invested in relationship critiques and comic marriage counseling, so be it. Ultimately, I'm just tired of reading/watching/hearing the same "Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man" narratives.
    Last edited by KB06; 05-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    . . . Ultimately, I'm just tired of reading/watching/hearing the same "Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man" narratives.
    Well, then, should you buy / read something else?

  9. #9
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Ultimately, I'm just tired of reading/watching/hearing the same "Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man" narratives.
    Stan Lee openly discussed a concept known as "the illusion of change."

  10. #10
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

    But as to how good or how "boring" the two of them are together, it has nothing to do with the characters themselves: the fault lies within the abilities and the whims of the writers (and the editors).
    This.

    Also, whenever I read opinions on Peter and [full in the blank fan ship] I wonder what actual comics and stories someone has read or been exposed to to have this sort of opinion. I would certainly have a lower opinion of MJ if I had not read certain stories and based more opinion on popular media she has been in over the last decade for example.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 05-07-2019 at 08:06 AM.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    93

    Default

    This is why I like the clones. Not so much baggage.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    but I like the moments when Peter plays the field like with Black Cat.
    To quote former EIC and curent CCO Joe Quesada, "Peter Parker playing the field is absolutely out of character".

    By the way does she factor in the current run?
    Black Cat is actually getting a lot more focus under Spencer's run then she did during the entirety of Slott's run. It's maybe her best turn as a character since the '80s. In addition there's PAD's Symbiote Spider-Man which is an Untold tales set between ASM #252-#257.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spencer is a huge Black Cat stan.
    There's a difference between liking the character, and liking that character in a relationship with another. There's nothing connecting the two.

    For instance, Roger Stern is a fan of Mary Jane as a character and has written excellent stories that flesh her out and was the one who invented her background and backstory, but he's not a fan of Peter and Mary Jane in a relationship.

    Quote Originally Posted by KB06 View Post
    Not worth arguing this point with Mary Jane loyalists.
    Says the person trying to pick a fight or making this about Felicia vs. Mary Jane.

    There's an entire thread devoted to Felicia Hardy here, still running and continuously posted and not everything there is about the relationship between Peter and Felicia or shipping wars. You can post there.


    Obviously taste is subjective and so on. I will say that there's a reason that Mary Jane continues to remain popular and constantly reappears and gets updated and reinvented in different runs no matter repeated attempts to write her out of the titles. She is simply a more original character than Felicia Hardy. Felicia Hardy at the end of the day will never escape the shadow of Selina Kyle, which by the way is the stated reasons multiple producers have been reluctant to introduce her into live action. Whereas Mary Jane Watson is easily the most complex and interesting female character Stan Lee ever created across all the superhero titles he oversaw, edited and wrote in the golden period.

  13. #13
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, then, should you buy / read something else?
    Excuse my poor word choice. I was not referring to the 2005 comic book series, but rather the general idea Mary Jane Watson must be Spider-Man's ultimate, perennial love interest. For instance, I was interested in Renew Your Vows for a time as Marvel literally created a new timeline/universe to suffice this segment of readers. However, presently I'm not interested in reading yet another incarnation of effectively the same story and relationship.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Because you'd lose
    A battle not worth fighting and a victory I'm not after. I encourage the OP to express his or her own opinion without the immediate scorn of others. It's fiction—pursue your own interests instead of a majority consensus.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    but I like the moments when Peter plays the field like with Black Cat. By the way does she factor in the current run? I don't know but I feel like once two characters get together and married the relationship can get boring. Felicia and Peter have way more heat. MJ and Peter are like leftover meatloaf.
    Sign me up for the Felicia train too. I prefer her to MJ too

  15. #15
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Says the person trying to pick a fight or making this about Felicia vs. Mary Jane.

    There's an entire thread devoted to Felicia Hardy here, still running and continuously posted and not everything there is about the relationship between Peter and Felicia or shipping wars. You can post there.
    Please do not lecture me. I want to emphasize I would never "pick a fight" over something so trivial and I will not be engaging "shipping wars." The label MJ loyalists is meant with no insult or snark, but rather to refer to the segment of fans who prioritize Peter's relationship with Mary Jane above all else. Moreover, I would not be so quick to discount the popularity of Black Cat considering she recieved an ongoing publication of her own.

    Let's all agree this entire discussion is subjective and for the most part fruitless—in other words, "This was fun; let's do it again."
    Ciao.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •