Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 420
  1. #376
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Ok you are mostly right with this but IMHO partial misinformed, to clarify a couple of things first) yes a fan base can be vocal and everyone has the right to their view but and this is a big but it seems to me that more and more fans think that they know the truth and that anything different from it is wrong for the character because of reasons example I don't think Peter is a everyman why because a) he is a genius and b) he has very good luck with the ladies while the thought makes me want $!&*^$% razor blades others will disagree because of the issues he has which is fine but it has happened the "real" Spider-Man can only grow with Mary Jane as his wife nothing else will do and second) the vocal portion of the fan base are getting what they want or are been given hope so they aren't going to give off crap about it well in my experience anyway
    If people feel that way, it's because that was their reading of stories that Marvel had published.

    I mean they had the NOT-DEVIL come and say he wanted them to sacrifice their love to save Aunt May.

    Kinda hard to think otherwise on seeing Peter and another lady moving forward after such a story.

  2. #377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sounds like words someone fed into Lee's mouth which is fairly easy to do. When left to himself Stan Lee always believed and practiced and encouraged progression. The reality was that the sales of Spider-Man increased and became much bigger after he left high school and went to college. The Romita Sr. era sold far better than the early Ditko era, and even in the case of Ditko, the college stories sold better than before. The marriage era stories sold better than the Defalco and Stern eras before it.

    Financially, a grown-up Spider-Man always did do far better than a teenage Spider-Man. The first cartoon with a teenage Spider-Man was Greg Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man, before everything from 1967 to 2002 had Peter in college. In the case of an exclusively high school Peter Parker, Marvel tried doing that many times in the '90s, with Untold Tales of Spider-Man, and then John Byrne's Chapter One, and only finally managed something successful and lasting with Bendis' USM. Bendis' USM succeeded because of the writer, because of the nature of the relaunch and the hook that ultimate marvel wouldn't refuse to redesign and alter familiar classic villains to a new context...so it wasn't tied to Peter being a teenager either in that situation.
    Just saying what i have been told, if he was kept in high school for a extended period he might not have graduate hence no marriage hence easier to change the status quo also no MJ, Felica or Gwen as they were introduced when he was in college.



    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It wasn't Conway's decision or call to kill Gwen.
    Really who picked the character to kill off that wouldnt be Conway would it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He didn't sign on wanting to kill her off.
    He signed on not wanting to write the current offical couple, guess what he was given the freedom to change it, can you say a writer today has the same freedom.


    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    John Romita Sr. wanted to kill off a character. He was basically Spider-Man's story editor at that point (Marvel hadn't yet locked down specific line-editors as a gig-unto-itself then so Romita Sr. unofficially worked as that).
    He made the call, and all Conway did was point out that Gwen Stacy made the best sense to work that in to which Romita Sr. agreed.
    So basically Romita Sr wanted to kill a character and Conway said Gwen makes the most sense Romita Sr said Do it, still blame Conway because he put the option down, don;t like Romita Sr that much either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Conway has said that if there had been no plans to kill off, he would most likely just broken Peter and Gwen up, and then have Peter date MJ.
    Because Conway is human and let his personal bias speak for him, i can respect it which i do but i dont have to like it or agree with it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well, dem's the breaks. I mean will any supporting character coming in to Batman measure up to Jim Gordon? Or in Superman's case, Lois Lane?

    It's not unfair to expect that a long-time supporting cast member and love interest will always have a bigger claim than any new character coming in. That's how it works.
    It might not be unfair to the old characters buts its not fair to the new ones either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If people feel that way, it's because that was their reading of stories that Marvel had published.

    I mean they had the NOT-DEVIL come and say he wanted them to sacrifice their love to save Aunt May.

    Kinda hard to think otherwise on seeing Peter and another lady moving forward after such a story.
    Kevin i dont agree with the execution of OMD but to turn around and say that Peter can only have one love interest and none other to me is wrong, its why i have little interest in superman.
    Truth is the best policy

  3. #378
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Just saying what i have been told, if he was kept in high school for a extended period he might not have graduate hence no marriage hence easier to change the status quo also no MJ, Felica or Gwen as they were introduced when he was in college.




    Really who picked the character to kill off that wouldnt be Conway would it.


    He signed on not wanting to write the current offical couple, guess what he was given the freedom to change it, can you say a writer today has the same freedom.



    So basically Romita Sr wanted to kill a character and Conway said Gwen makes the most sense Romita Sr said Do it, still blame Conway because he put the option down, don;t like Romita Sr that much either.


    Because Conway is human and let his personal bias speak for him, i can respect it which i do but i dont have to like it or agree with it.




    It might not be unfair to the old characters buts its not fair to the new ones either.



    Kevin i dont agree with the execution of OMD but to turn around and say that Peter can only have one love interest and none other to me is wrong, its why i have little interest in superman.
    I disagree 100%. I can understand if someone prefers Felicia or even Silk ( who I detest) to MJ. But what seperates ( or should seperate) Pete from say Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark is being an."Everyman" and part of that involves being with one woman ( I prefer MJ) then acting like a frat boy or Hugh Hefner. The Silk storyline was the one that stppped me reading Spider-Man ( until Slott left the book)., because I felt Pete as a horndog was 180 degrees away from being an "Everyman."

  4. #379
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    I disagree 100%. I can understand if someone prefers Felicia or even Silk ( who I detest) to MJ. But what seperates ( or should seperate) Pete from say Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark is being an."Everyman" and part of that involves being with one woman ( I prefer MJ) then acting like a frat boy or Hugh Hefner.
    So people that aren't in steady relationships aren't "everymen"? I'm disagreeing with you here. A character still in the dating pool and looking for love seems more of an everyman trait to me than one that's settled down.

    I'm also going to have to call BS on the idea that a character that is still dating is automatically a frat boy or Hefner. You're basically taking one character trait and misreading it as the absolute extreme of that trait. It's like saying that just because Vulture or Shocker can make an intention that they're Reed Richard level scientists.

  5. #380
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So people that aren't in steady relationships aren't "everymen"? I'm disagreeing with you here. A character still in the dating pool and looking for love seems more of an everyman trait to me than one that's settled down.

    I'm also going to have to call BS on the idea that a character that is still dating is automatically a frat boy or Hefner. You're basically taking one character trait and misreading it as the absolute extreme of that trait. It's like saying that just because Vulture or Shocker can make an intention that they're Reed Richard level scientists.
    i invented a peanut butter on cheese sandwich so iím basically tony stark
    troo fan or death

  6. #381
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5,819

    Default

    Old Peter Parker wearing only a fur robe and some web to cover up his shooter with his arms wrapped around young Felicia and Cindy is not the image I thought I would be imagining today.

    I'd write a series about it, though.
    heroine addict we love you come back

  7. #382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I disagree 100%. I can understand if someone prefers Felicia or even Silk ( who I detest) to MJ. But what separates ( or should separate) Pete from say Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark is being an."Everyman" and part of that involves being with one woman ( I prefer MJ) then acting like a frat boy or Hugh Hefner. The Silk storyline was the one that stppped me reading Spider-Man ( until Slott left the book)., because I felt Pete as a horndog was 180 degrees away from being an "Everyman."
    I’m not saying that peter should be surround by beautiful woman in bikinis or dresses, I’m saying that to me he can have had one or more ladies that he dates in a on/off fashion. I don’t think Silk should be on that list but I’m more thinking of similar to Archie than Bruce Wayne if that makes sense, for example you can be a fan of Archie/Betty or Archie/Veronica or Archie/Betty/Veronica and Archie could be with either. However when he is dating say Mary Jane he is faithfully to Mary Jane and when he is dating Gwen he is committed to Gwen hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So people that aren't in steady relationships aren't "everymen"? I'm disagreeing with you here. A character still in the dating pool and looking for love seems more of an everyman trait to me than one that's settled down.

    I'm also going to have to call BS on the idea that a character that is still dating is automatically a frat boy or Hefner. You're basically taking one character trait and misreading it as the absolute extreme of that trait. It's like saying that just because Vulture or Shocker can make an intention that they're Reed Richard level scientists.
    Ok that is extreme especially considering Shocker dress in a matress like thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i invented a peanut butter on cheese sandwich so i’m basically tony stark
    Can I get a loan
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Old Peter Parker wearing only a fur robe and some web to cover up his shooter with his arms wrapped around young Felicia and Cindy is not the image I thought I would be imagining today.

    I'd write a series about it, though.
    Change it to Gwen and MJ BRAIN BLAST! Imagine Mary Jane as a model with Gwen managing her, Felica as a bodyguard and Peter as her photographer! DAMMIT I didn’t need any more ideas for stories.
    Truth is the best policy

  8. #383
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So people that aren't in steady relationships aren't "everymen"? I'm disagreeing with you here. A character still in the dating pool and looking for love seems more of an everyman trait to me than one that's settled down.

    I'm also going to have to call BS on the idea that a character that is still dating is automatically a frat boy or Hefner. You're basically taking one character trait and misreading it as the absolute extreme of that trait. It's like saying that just because Vulture or Shocker can make an intention that they're Reed Richard level scientists.
    Again I disagree. If you look at the cover of BND you see exactly the Peter that Slott and company wanted: A man child.who they were afraid of showing as an adult due to economic reasons ( aka fear of lower sales)..That is why they got rid of the marriage in 616, and they show him as Tony Stark Junior in the MCU.Which was a mistake. Let me say fom the perspective of a heterosexual adult male these are a dozen characteristics I want in a woman. In no particular order. 1: Understanding. 2: A good listen. 3: Can take home to relatives. 4: Has a work ethic. 5: Will stand by me. 6: Is no gossip. 6: Can be fun. 7: Is compatible. 8: Can cook. 9: Would make a great mother. 10:'Good looking. 11: Intelligent. 12: Love. Sounds like MJ waa right when she told Pete "You hit the Jackpot." No need to "Play The Field" when he has everything he could possibly want in a woman ( and more) in MJ.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.

  9. #384
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Again I disagree. If you look at the cover of BND you see exactly the Peter that Slott and company wanted: A man child.who they were afraid of showing as an adult due to economic reasons ( aka fear of lower sales)..That is why they got rid of the marriage in 616, and they show him as Tony Stark Junior in the MCU.Which was a mistake. Let me say fom the perspective of a heterosexual adult male these are a dozen characteristics I want in a woman. In no particular order. 1: Understanding. 2: A good listen. 3: Can take home to relatives. 4: Has a work ethic. 5: Will stand by me. 6: Is no gossip. 6: Can be fun. 7: Is compatible. 8: Can cook. 9: Would make a great mother. 10:'Good looking. 11: Intelligent. 12: Love. Sounds like MJ waa right when she told Pete "You hit the Jackpot." No need to "Play The Field" when he has everything he could possibly want in a woman ( and more) in MJ.
    Because that's what you want that means it's what he wants otherwise he's a manchild and not an adult. Well, i can't argue with that logic ... but that's most because there isn't any there.

    ... also, is MJ really a good cook? I don't think I've ever seen evidence one or another.

  10. #385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Again I disagree. If you look at the cover of BND you see exactly the Peter that Slott and company wanted: A man child.who they were afraid of showing as an adult due to economic reasons ( aka fear of lower sales)..That is why they got rid of the marriage in 616, and they show him as Tony Stark Junior in the MCU.Which was a mistake. Let me say fom the perspective of a heterosexual adult male these are a dozen characteristics I want in a woman. In no particular order. 1: Understanding. 2: A good listen. 3: Can take home to relatives. 4: Has a work ethic. 5: Will stand by me. 6: Is no gossip. 6: Can be fun. 7: Is compatible. 8: Can cook. 9: Would make a great mother. 10:'Good looking. 11: Intelligent. 12: Love. Sounds like MJ waa right when she told Pete "You hit the Jackpot." No need to "Play The Field" when he has everything he could possibly want in a woman ( and more) in MJ.
    Is the character supposed to get everything he wants and more in any category?

  11. #386
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Is the character supposed to get everything he wants and more in any category?
    I admit to being hard core Pro-MJ. But the question still remains who tops MJ when it comes to Parker Women? Gwen? Felicia? Cindy? Betty? I mentioned some of tbe things I look for in a woman to show why I my opinoon she was and still is a good match for Peter. Perhaps Jarvis put it best when he said she is "Indispensable."

  12. #387
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Wasn't Jarvis a Skrull the entire time Peter was living with the Avengers?

  13. #388
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,687

    Default

    looking forward to the inevitable “is mj a good cook?” cbr thread
    troo fan or death

  14. #389
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Wasn't Jarvis a Skrull the entire time Peter was living with the Avengers?
    Yeah, but he was referring to the 100% real Jarvis that showed up in ASM 9 and 10 hosting The Lookups, which was basically a support group for people close to superheroes that knew who those superheroes were and kept their secrets. That was the Jarvis that said to Mary Jane that, whoever the hero in her life was, she was indispensable to him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  15. #390
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, but he was referring to the 100% real Jarvis that showed up in ASM 9 and 10 hosting The Lookups, which was basically a support group for people close to superheroes that knew who those superheroes were and kept their secrets. That was the Jarvis that said to Mary Jane that, whoever the hero in her life was, she was indispensable to him.
    Okay cool. I didn't know where that part came from. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •