Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don't think saying Slott disliked Spider-Man is fair, because that's neither here nor there. That said, I can understand why people have that impression and using Slott's own public statements is neither here nor there. Not all creators, even great and talented ones (in which company I don't actually include Slott needless to say), are always honest 100% of the time. Some of them tend to outright lie repeatedly, even to, and especially to, fans.
    How can we even be sure that you like Spider-Man??? It's possibly that you're just lying - humans are often dishonest! Especially about incredibly important things like Spider-Man!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough.

Well, I'm very much against OMD and will only read material set before it or stuff based on/inspired by those eras. However, as I noted before, I don't seem to have the militarism, for lack of a better word, that others of the position seem to have on the subject; it seems like, at least, the more vocal anti-OMD people are trying to campaign to get it undone and/or firmly believe that Marvel sticking to the retcon is actively hurting the brand. While I don't think it was a good decision and am pretty darn sure the boat would've righted itself without it, I don't really see the brand suffering financially and am more of the view that I don't really care what the flagship series does as long as I can find stuff that appeals to me.

I also don't seem to loathe the people involved as much as others do (will never be a fan of them or agree, but I just see them as others to have different opinions then I do who happen to have or have had more control of things then I ever will). It's all been an evolutionary process (there was a time when I could've been pretty nasty to Joe Quesada and Dan Slott if I'd had a mike) and I'm not saying that there's no one like me. It's just that when the OMD thing comes up, I find that I tend to be the devil's advocate for both the for and against parties.
    Not dealing with it hurts the book. IMHO.

I would rather the deal be exposed and Peter and MJ break up because of it, then Pete and MJ stay together without that knowledge. It’s cheating the consequences. And Peter is supposed to be about responsibility.

Not to mention OMD was an absolutely terrible storyline poorly written......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    I would rather the deal be exposed and Peter and MJ break up because of it
    Marvel actually feel Peter and MJ would just get married again if they found out about the deal, that's what Brevoort once said on tumblr.

Mighty Member

well, I hope that there's posters on this board that still enjoy Spider-Man despite OMD. I certainly do. It's not going to hinder my enjoyment one way or the other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    well, I hope that there's posters on this board that still enjoy Spider-Man despite OMD. I certainly do. It's not going to hinder my enjoyment one way or the other.
    Some of us will forever fight for better quality. It just so happens we're finally getting it nowadays
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-13-2019 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    At least with Parallax/Hal, DC/Geoff Johns had the decency to explain/retcon it as a form of demonic possession, thus taking away a lot of Hal's culpability for Parallax's actions. Now we just need Spencer to say that Felicia also fell under some kind of malign external influence that took away a lot of her own culpability because she was very clearly not in her right mind, either.
    yeah, i get that. i see why it worked for most

maybe i’m just a little tired of superhero retcons
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    At least with Parallax/Hal, DC/Geoff Johns had the decency to explain/retcon it as a form of demonic possession, thus taking away a lot of Hal's culpability for Parallax's actions. Now we just need Spencer to say that Felicia also fell under some kind of malign external influence that took away a lot of her own culpability because she was very clearly not in her right mind, either.
    Marvel already used that for Wanda after Avengers Disassembled/House of M. Not really sure Felicia was high profile enough for a possession arc, lol.

BANNED

Felicia was altered by a magic spell that took her knowledge of Peter's identity. Close enough.

In OMD MJ implied a lot of how Peter and herself acted in BND through Slott's run would be the result of Mephisto's magic also.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Some of us will forever fight for better quality. It just so happens we're finally getting it nowadays
    The question of whether someone can enjoy Spider-Man despite One More Day isn't about the fight for better quality. The quality of the new stories doesn't matter if the argument is that everything is tainted by One More Day.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    And the year+ Ultimate Spider-Man was with Kitty Pryde was fine too.

I never said there was any set limit of time for how long such a relationship would last. If you think that the four years Peter/Felicia were a thing prove the concept can last the test of time, I wonder what you'd say about the marriage that lasted twenty.
    I've never said the marriage never worked - I do however think it ran it's course though and there won't be any new ground for it to mine for a long while. That's exactly why I'd also never say Spidey dating a superheroine would last forever, because as we've touched on a few times, the medium is impermanent. My point has been that just because no other relationship has been blessed with as much page time, that isn't conclusive of some kind of fated fact that there's only one direction/person the powers that be can ever go with. The advent of a marriage was a mandate just as much as splitting them up was - but that's only a bad thing when it's to do something someone doesn't like.

I mean, I think it's pretty clear that no relationship in Spidey is going to go the distance, lol.
    Except Aunt May. She is forever.

(This thread is all about MJ. She's even in the thread title and referred to as "Peter's main squeeze".)
    You can mention something in reference and still not have it be about it. u wanna fite me or wat
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    In a game which reaches a far broader audience than comic buyers, May is dead and Peter and MJ are endgame.

Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    In a game which reaches a far broader audience than comic buyers, May is dead and Peter and MJ are endgame.

Try again.
    In a multi billion dollar film universe, the latest installment of which is smashing the box office which far exceeds the reach of any singular video game, Aunt May is vibrant, young and alive, and MJ is a half black teenager named Michelle.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

My point has been that just because no other relationship has been blessed with as much page time, that isn't conclusive of some kind of fated fact that there's only one direction/person the powers that be can ever go with.
    The point is you seem to think that having pagetime is some kind of arbitrary accident and not a condition of the character's popularity and qualities that lend to their use in multiple stories. Mary Jane being as prominent as she is isn't some accident, it happened because she is innately a popular and unique character who has consistently retained her appeal and influence in multiple decades and this after being periodically written out of the stories.

The two Spider-Man supporting characters with the most appearances across all Marvel comics in 616 is J. Jonah Jameson and Mary Jane Watson both over 1200 each with MJ maybe overtaking Flat-Top and at different times being ahead and behind.

Aunt May hasn't even reached 1000 and is a distant third.

I've never said the marriage never worked - I do however think it ran it's course though and there won't be any new ground for it to mine for a long while. That's exactly why I'd also never say Spidey dating a superheroine would last forever, because as we've touched on a few times, the medium is impermanent. My point has been that just because no other relationship has been blessed with as much page time, that isn't conclusive of some kind of fated fact that there's only one direction/person the powers that be can ever go with. The advent of a marriage was a mandate just as much as splitting them up was - but that's only a bad thing when it's to do something someone doesn't like.
    As I said, there are a lot of problems with Spidey X Superheroine. (Including another post I made acknowledging that, unless under very specific circumstances, the Spidey writer wouldn't have complete control of the relationship. Let's say, hypothetically, that Slott did want Spidey X Mockingbird to be more than it was, and then Avengers got a new writer who really wanted to use Mockingbird. Slott would have been **** outta luck.)

I just don't think this is ever going to be a major thing for Spidey. You might see a date or something in the future (like he had with Carol Danvers during Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run). But I think expecting a major relationship between Peter and a superheroine is just going to lead to disappointment.

Getting real Game of Thrones around here.

You can mention something in reference and still not have it be about it. u wanna fite me or wat
    Sure, but this thread itself was clearly made acknowledging MJ's prominence in Spidey's world, and it kind of is the elephant in the room.

In a multi billion dollar film universe, the latest installment of which is smashing the box office which far exceeds the reach of any singular video game, Aunt May is vibrant, young and alive, and MJ is a half black teenager named Michelle.
    I never liked how they handled that. The not-MJ MJ thing. They should have said Zendaya was cast as Mary Jane, and anyone who had a problem with it was wrong.