Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Of course, I kind of found myself rolling my eyes a bit at how heavy handed and over the top their Flashpoint idea was, but it’s still worked better.
    Some would say Flashpoint was when the show really started going downhill with the convoluted time travel logic and overbearing tone/Big Bad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If it retcons away a ridiculous personality shift for a player of Hal's tenure, I'll take it in a heartbeat. I would also say it for any other player turned into a bad guy overnight, unless the character was specifically created that way like Terra.
    *shrugs*

Different strokes. Fair enough. I'm wondering, though, if you added this sort of concept to a character that isn't your favorite (not necessarily your favorite, mind you, but anybody's favorite in general), people would be jumping to it's defense so enthusiastically.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

ARGUS. I'm kinda glad Bendis is getting rid of it, quite frankly. I mean, weren't there already at least a dozen or so super secret organizations who had the exact same role already?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member

The worst work I can remember is that Gog awful story-line from JSA. I'm fine with most of what Geoff writes but I wish he would knock it off with those f*cking splash-pages! We're talking 6-7 splash pages per issue! How many splash pages does a comic need?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    The worst work I can remember is that Gog awful story-line from JSA. I'm fine with most of what Geoff writes but I wish he would knock it off with those f*cking splash-pages! We're talking 6-7 splash pages per issue! How many splash pages does a comic need?
    Yeah, unfortunately, his Justice Society was just a pale shadow of JSA - especially JSA up until the end of Black Reign.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I am a huge fan of Geoff Johns, the Green Lantern mythos is second only to my love of Batman and it's largely due to the additions and concepts he made. However, as I've gotten more into comics, the worst contribution he's made that I noticed isn't a particular book or idea but more of a mentality he brings in some form or another to most all of his works that, I think, hurts the medium for me; it's his proclivity toward pedigree over continuity. I mean that in the sense that John's has a habit of ignoring forward momentum in the things around him to highlight his personal taste for the more nostalgic (for lack of a better word) concepts. Now I'm not saying that is exclusively to or didn't exist at all before John's but I feel like Johns highlighted, for me at least, the idea of the "writer as a fan" and it's only become more regularly overt since his rise to prominence in the comic book lexicon.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    ARGUS. I'm kinda glad Bendis is getting rid of it, quite frankly. I mean, weren't there already at least a dozen or so super secret organizations who had the exact same role already?
    I think the DEO was, on-paper, supposed to be what Argus was in the New 52.

Then it basically just became about dealing with aliens.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well... I think the popularity is a bit 'too soon to tell' What are they on... issue 3 or something? It seems like everytime Cap comes out with a new book it's really popular... until it's not all of a sudden.
    It's not just the book, it's mainly the movie. Even if it didn't do MCU numbers it gave the character mass exposure it hadn't got in decades, which I doubt would have happened if Johns hadn't revamped the property with the New 52 Justice League backups.

As for the sibling thing... I don't know.
    I like the foster kid angle quite a bit, it's a change but one most people are fine with.

BANNED

Johns is the reason there wasn't a Shazam title for years, DC turned down pitches from multiple respected creative teams because of him, he's hindered the popularity by only pushing his version

Spectacular Member

I strongly doubt any version pitched to DC would have been more popular than the current book and even more strongly doubt it ever would have been turned into a movie so soon afterwards.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, his Justice Society was just a pale shadow of JSA
    Yeah, that book was a HUGE disappointment, especially considering how great JSA was.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Not showing us Atomica inside Scorch in Justice League #27 (I know he'd technically be showing us cold-blooded murder, but I'm obsessed with the human body and want to know what Scorch looks like on the inside. And Cyborg. And Luke Cage. And pretty much every character I like in the DC/Marvel canon.)

"I shouldn't be here"

Killing Grid (twice)

A lot of Forever Evil hate from me. I like Darkseid War better because Vic gets to become Grid
    Last edited by Falcon16; 06-08-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Black Manta having his suit sealed down to a microscopic level. Never was this mentioned before, and it was only done so Atomica couldn't go inside his body. If you know me, I have a fascination with the human body and I always want to know what my favorite characters look like on the inside, thanks to an episode of Teen Titans. If they'd remembered Atomica can go quantum, and then use that to get inside his clothing and THEN go inside his body, it'd be fine, but then there's a whole other problem I voiced my opinion on earlier in this thread.

I just hate Forever Evil and I especially hate Atomica. She could've been great if done correctly (especially if I wrote her (heh heh)) but no Johns had to be on there instead of Dwayne McDuffie (who had been dead for a year or two by then.)

Oh, and Doctor Manhattan killing Grid in Darkseid War. WHY DOES GRID ALWAYS HAVE TO DIE?!
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Putting Cyborg on the Justice League and his overall handling of Cyborg is what comes to mind. I don't really think I need to explain this.
    That plus Grid are my only two favorite Johns ideas.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    The Rebirth one-shot that set off the whole Rebirth thing and its attack on the New52 continuity.
    The BS idea presented there in that the New52 was devoid of love and legacy, etc.
    I really like most of Johns' work, but I'll never forgive him for that one.
    Agreed, Rebirth sucks. New 52 was kino.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut