Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Geoff Johns' worst book or idea

I guess it sounds like I'm picking on him - maybe I am. Johns has certainly wrote his share of great books and had great ideas.

But he's also laid a few serious rotten eggs.

What is you least favorite Geoff Johns' book/idea/execution of an idea?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Killing off the Earth 2 Superman. Far and away. There was absolutely no reason to bring him back if they were just going to do that. He got his happy ending and they wouldn't let him keep it. There was just no excuse for that. They should have just left him alone instead of turning him into a villain and literally dragging his corpse around the DCU afterward. I still haven't forgiven Johns for that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

His Teen Titans run, especially how he handled the cast of Young Justice.

Bringing Barry back.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Spectacular Member

Barry Allen's new tragic backstory. The fact that this is in every version of The Flash now makes it so much worse than it already was.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Yeah, I forgot. He's of the belief that every hero has to have a "tragic origin". So not only does Barry get one but Hal has to lose his dad too. Next we'll find out Harley Quinn became evil because someone ran over her cat as a kid or something.
    Assassinate Putin!

Spectacular Member

Hal losing his dad came before Johns, not sure when it was established but it was in Emerald Dawn. Fairly certain Johns was the first to kill Hal's mother but I could be wrong.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Bringing Barry back.
    That actually was not his idea. Dan Didio and EVS were behind it.
    Although I agree it's a worst idea.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Infinite Crisis was hobbled by editorial and legal issues out of Johns's control, so I can't really blame him for that one.

Personally, I'd say The Flash: Rebirth is probably one of his biggest misfires. While the dead mom origin stuck, pretty much everything else from it has been ignored because it didn't quite connect with people.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

His New 52 JL run, Especially Darkseid war
    I mean this retconned AM origin was most boring version I ever read and out of character
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Justice League New52 vol.1: Origin - I don't remember the story in details, but what I remember is that I for the story so boring and pointless and badly written.

I'm going with Flashpoint. If it was an elseworlds or stand alone story then I could give it a pass. But with it leading to the new 52 which obliterated all of my favorite characters into limbo it is my pick.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Always Rakzo

His second Flash run.

Completely defeated the point of his first run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I'm going with Flashpoint. If it was an elseworlds or stand alone story then I could give it a pass. But with it leading to the new 52 which obliterated all of my favorite characters into limbo it is my pick.
    This wasn't his idea. It was just supposed to be just a Flash story, editorial high jacked it and turned it into a story that altered the universe. Seriously people, if you're going to criticize Johns ideas, can it be the ones that were actually his?

I tend to like his work more than I don't, but I'm going to have to vote for his second stint on Flash, too. I wasn't even opposed to bringing Barry back -- I just thought the work was... shoddy? The Rebirth mini was kind of a mess, and then the ongoing read like a giant prelude to Flashpoint.