Default Black Label's The Last God

When DC Black Label was announced as a home for mature, prestige, and ambitious new stories, THE LAST GOD was not what anyone expected. But make no mistake: this horror fantasy isn't just built to be an epic adventure... it's making Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings seem like a fairy tale.
    The upcoming series THE LAST GOD: BOOK I OF THE FELLSPYRE CHRONICLES arrives in stores this October, whisking readers off to the brave new world of Cain Anuun. As (some of) the people celebrate three decades of peace and prosperity, the time when a brave fellowship of heroes united to vanquish the god of darkness has fallen into legend. Until the people realize to their horror that the legends don't tell the full story... as The Last God is still alive, and back more terrifying than ever. It's a grim nightmare fantasy fans will need to see for themselves, when the 12-issue series from writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson (The Power of the Dark Crystal), artist Riccardo Federici (Aquaman), and colorist Dean White (All-Star Batman) begins on October 30th. Screen Rant got the chance to speak with Johnson about the series, and the future of The Fellspyre Chronicles if fans like what they see.
    https://screenrant.com/dc-comics-las...#leave-comment

BANNED

There is no way that they can make something as cool as Berserk. America is too pc for that...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    There is no way that they can make something as cool as Berserk. America is too pc for that...
    Eh I disagree with that. Comics have depicted rape and murder before that's nothing new. The only thing I can see is them not showing full rape scenes like Beserk or full on nudity. Other than that they're fair game and won't be any different.

Astonishing Member

I'm beyond excited for The Last God just based on the art and genre. I've been avoiding knowing much about the premise itself but I have to say a lot of my excitement comes primarily from DC's willingness to let Black Label just straight up have some Fantasy books.

Fantasy works pretty well with comics. There's definitely other genres that fit comics more like a glove - noir, pulp, espionage, superheroics, and quirky rom-com stuff I think. Stuff that's pacey or has a lot of angles. Fantasy being so sprawling, it's a tough one to work out, but it does work in the right hands. Actually when I think critically of Fantasy not working in comics I think I tend to be thinking of Star Wars comics. I've read a TON of Marvel Star Wars and really like a ton of it, but it never feels quite right, because it never feels quite ... Wide-Screen. That cinematic feel is also important for Western comics, I think. These are comics that demand a slightly expansive, sprawling panel layout ... and therefore extreme levels of decompression and slower pacing. At least until moments come along where you can finagle with the pace in explosive action with lots of popping panels to express a flurry of motion or activity. And so naturally decompression and slower pacing are things that probably kill series' from getting good long runs and make these things live better lives in long-form wide-screen TV, film epics, or you know, where I think it's hard to argue they're not best-served ... in novels.

And yet I still read Prince Valiant in the newspaper.

So I'm excited to see one get started up. The art looks like it jumped off my high-school yearbooks.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com