Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did that effect Hiro at all? I didn't think it did.
    It did. If it didn't I wouldn't be angry about it

It's honestly easier for me to list the books of his I really enjoyed:

Beast Boy mini
    Stars and STRIPE
    JSA
    Hawkman
    Booster Gold
    DC Rebirth
    Doomsday Clock

Everything else ranges from "meh" to "Dear God What Are You Thinking?!?"

Incredible Member

Only thing that I'd really point out is that I think he recycles a lot of his ideas over and over again. From the Omacs thing to Alpha Lanterns to the white things in his New 52 Green Lantern run to 7 different corps, 7 hidden kingdoms, 7 magic kingdoms. He goes to some wells way to often.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Only thing that I'd really point out is that I think he recycles a lot of his ideas over and over again. From the Omacs thing to Alpha Lanterns to the white things in his New 52 Green Lantern run to 7 different corps, 7 hidden kingdoms, 7 magic kingdoms. He goes to some wells way to often.
    He didn't really stop at 7 lanterns though... they added in black, white, and now what is it? Ultraviolet?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He didn't really stop at 7 lanterns though... they added in black, white, and now what is it? Ultraviolet?
    Ultraviolet is Snyders not Johns. Your points true though.

Does anybody else find that Johns is just really, really terrible at handling romantic relationships? From forcing "destiny" on Kendra Saunders and Carter Hall, to using "One Year Later" to justify taking Rick "Hourman" Tyler and Jesse "Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle" Chambers from having no relationship whatsoever to being married without any build-up, to Superman and Wonder Woman in the New 52, and god knows whatever relationships he handled in-between, I find Geoff Johns utterly incapable of writing a romantic relationship that isn't forced and contrived both in-universe and out, let alone one that happens believably on both characters' parts.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Does anybody else find that Johns is just really, really terrible at handling romantic relationships? From forcing "destiny" on Kendra Saunders and Carter Hall, to using "One Year Later" to justify taking Rick "Hourman" Tyler and Jesse "Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle" Chambers from having no relationship whatsoever to being married without any build-up, to Superman and Wonder Woman in the New 52, and god knows whatever relationships he handled in-between, I find Geoff Johns utterly incapable of writing a romantic relationship that isn't forced and contrived both in-universe and out, let alone one that happens believably on both characters' parts.
    I don't know I think he did okay with Lois and Clark and Wally and Linda. I think he's one of those writers that want certain things for his story and instead of building towards it, short cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I don't know I think he did okay with Lois and Clark and Wally and Linda. I think he's one of those writers that want certain things for his story and instead of building towards it, short cuts.
    Lois and Clark and Wally and Linda were couples that already existed because people working on them before Johns had already done the work of building up their relationships. I was talking about characters that didn't have a romantic relationship before Johns put them in one, and yeah, you're right, he uses "short cuts" like "destiny" and "time skips" to get what he wants instead of building them up believably or organically.

Incredible Member

Lois and Clark and Wally and Linda were couples that already existed because people working on them before Johns had already done the work of building up their relationships. I was talking about characters that didn't have a romantic relationship before Johns put them in one, and yeah, you're right, he uses "short cuts" like "destiny" and "time skips" to get what he wants instead of building them up believably or organically.
    You are right and using the Hawk characters also shows an example of both our points. He kinda of forced the two characters, who thanks to reboots and other shenanigans have nothing really to do with each other, together to get the characters of Hawkman and Hawkgirl back to the Silver Age status quo of being a couple. Oddly though he didn't actually short cut that one as it took years and him well forcing the issue in Blackest Night to have anything actually happen.

Astonishing Member

How many chances did he get? He did more work with Arthur and Mera than anyone before him, even the people who initiated that romance ages past. Almost no one has created a long lasting relationship in DC for some time.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I think his worst was Blackest Night by far. All of it was zero story while people stood watching others fight before it was their turn...like a Mortal Kombat game.

His strongest was easily JSA and Hawkman. GL and Flash are his middle tier.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    This is one of his best, arguably top 5. Great reinvention of the character, made him more popular and relevant than he had been for years and laid the foundations for one of DC's best movies.
    That bullcrap. Shazam New 52 is for sure one of his worst ideas and one of the worst parts of new 52. Ruined the character. Ruined the whole idea of what Shazam Family meant. Even made Billy and Marry no longer siblings. I say one of the reason LA movie did fine box office but not great because it follow New 52 origins.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    That bullcrap. Shazam New 52 is for sure one of his worst ideas and one of the worst parts of new 52. Ruined the character. Ruined the whole idea of what Shazam Family meant. Even made Billy and Marry no longer siblings. I say one of the reason LA movie did fine box office but not great because it follow New 52 origins.
    I don't think the Shazam property has ever been a more popular during its stay at DC as it is now but yeah, the character is totally "ruined" because Billy and Mary are no longer related by blood.

How would the movie have done better if it ignored the Johns reboot? The ending twist is one of the most well like parts of the movie and is straight off the page.

Extraordinary Member

the character is totally "ruined" because Billy and Mary are no longer related by blood.
    I hate to hear this. I haven't read the new series, but that stinks IMO.

I don't think the Shazam property has ever been a more popular during its stay at DC as it is now but yeah, the character is totally "ruined" because Billy and Mary are no longer related by blood.

How would the movie have done better if it ignored the Johns reboot? The ending twist is one of the most well like parts of the movie and is straight off the page.
    Well... I think the popularity is a bit 'too soon to tell' What are they on... issue 3 or something? It seems like everytime Cap comes out with a new book it's really popular... until it's not all of a sudden.

As for the sibling thing... I don't know.

I'm notoriously famous for hating just about any change. However... I don't really see what them being siblings ever actually brought to the table. They weren't raised together... Mary still had the 'Broomfield' name as often as not. Jr. was actually around first, so technically Cap and Jr. should have been closer than Mary and Billy ever were. I've personally always hated the 'long lost twin sibling' trope. Their powers aren't genetic... so I don't know, I don't really mind its loss this time.

Of course... the REAL reason they changed it bugs me. There's always been that habit to sexualize Mary Marvel with the whole short skirt/long legs uber-HOTTNESS thing... and keeping her 12-14 in 'real life' is extra creepy. Say what they want... I have no doubt that one of the conditions for bringing Mary back was 'make her 18' and Billy 'Can never be 18'...