View Poll Results: How would you restart the Superman movie franchise?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Man of Steel sequel with Zack Snyder returning

4 5.48%
  • A Man of Steel sequel with a new director but w/ same cast

31 42.47%
  • A recast Superman movie loosely in the DCEU

13 17.81%
  • A full reboot with a new continuity, no connection to the DCEU

17 23.29%
  • Just have spinoff movies like Supergirl

2 2.74%
  • Give the entire franchise a rest for the foreseeable future

3 4.11%
  • Other

3 4.11%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    How?!? Wasn't it in his contract for Mission Impossible that he had to keep it?
    It was. Honestly WB/DC should’ve just CGI’d on a beard since that’s apparently easier. But it’s not Cavill’s fault for what happened with JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    But Man of Steel was NOT a misstep. Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone forward with BvS. Warners was quite happy with MOS at the time when all was said and done.

It was profitable, did well on home video, and had a good audience reaction (on a par with Aquaman).

In comics circles, it might be polarizing, but outsiders don't have a seething hatred for it.

I'm thinking it was the reaction to BvS and Justice League that made Warners back off Superman and get a Batman movie into production that has nothing to do with Ben Affleck. Justice League's underperformance definitely shook things up at DC Films. Everyone associated with that film is gone from the company.

On the other hand, even though MOS was fine at the time, retroactive thinking might make the stink of BvS and JL stick to it and Warner's is just quietly ignoring Superman until some years pass and they can relaunch him.

This is similar to what happened after Superman Returns. Even though there were public noises about making a sequel, those were obviously just for show. Seven years after SR, we got MOS. We'll see if we get a new Superman reboot (with a new cast) 7 years after Justice League -- in 2024.
    2024 honestly sounds like a credible time for a new Superman movie. Unless Supergirl comes out and uses him, Superman is done for the foreseeable future thanks to the DCEU train wreck.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

If TPTB that be do decide to introduce Supergirl. I'd love for them to spend some time on Krypton. More than the 20 minutes Superman TM and MOS respectively spent their in their prologues. Ride the John Carter of Mars/Barsoom and Thor on Asgard. It be really cool to get a feel for Krypton from Kara's perspective.

I'd make Brainiac the super computer AI (like in the DCAU and Smallville) who knows Krypton is doomed and betrays it by saving himself and all of Krypton's knowledge.

Then again, opening with an assault on Krypton (skull/flying saucer) and Kara valiantly fighting in defense of Kandor/Argo, would be really cool to see too. Decisions, decisions.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    How?!? Wasn't it in his contract for Mission Impossible that he had to keep it?
    The stash was his idea. He knew he'd have reshoots around that time. He signed the contract saying he couldn't shave it.

The irony is if the reshoots had only happened a month later, Cavill could have shaved because Tom Cruise had broken his ankle and the movie was shut down for a two months.

Talk about $#!++* timing.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If they bring in Mr. Mxy to handwave away any changes, they provide some really great Brainiac (or Metallo/Parasite/Titano action) we've all been waiting for, all will be forgiven.

The general audience doesn't care about recasting or reboots, they just want a fun movie. Everything else is secondary to them. If it's Cavill in the suit, hooray. If it's somebody else who's just as good, great. Nobody cares if the movie is good.

Who can make that movie? No idea. I though the Kingsman guy would have been great, but Kingsman 2 was really, really bad.

Do not, under any circumstances, introduce the family concept. That'd be a disaster. In movies and the general moviegoing public, WB has already made it a tough task selling Superman individually. Going that route just makes it that much harder to sell him because you now have to focus on other dynamics, and how does a viewer get invested in that when they're not even invested in the main guy yet? Its also why I'm hesitant on the Supergirl idea, but at least with her there's a history of her being able to act independently. But still even there it'd at least be nice to have the main gun established successfully before branching off.

In any case the fact we're even at a place where Superman himself is unable to be established is astonishing and speaks to WB's complete ineptitude. In their zeal to to just hurry and get to Batman beating him up then killing and resurrecting him, they didn't bother to get viewers to care first.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-11-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Sooner or later we’ll get another justice league attempt and that’s when we’ll see Superman again. There’s no way they will not want to get Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman (DCEU’s real trinity) on screen together. Right now I doubt they’re even talking about it. But if I were a betting man I’d say sometime eventually after Wonder Woman 3, Aquaman 3, The Batman 2, they’ll give the crossover team up another shot. Well I guess there’s also a decent chance that Superman might show up in a bit role in Shazam 2 or even Supergirl or something. Regardless I’m almost certain when we see Kal next, it won’t be in his own movie.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Man of Steel sequel with a new director and some of the same cast, Henry Cavill a must, but no Eisenberg or Adams, with a bit of rebooting and retroconning. Brainiac or Metallo as the villain.

My choice if I were doing it would be a full reboot. That said, I can absolutely take what's there now and build - as long as Snyder and Goyer are fully removed from the future of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    The problem with a full reboot is that it can't happen any time soon because other DC characters like Wonder Woman and Aquaman are having big success with their movies.. it's messy, though Aquaman proved audiences just want great movies that entertain. It's not like they cared so much about Arthur or the DCEU after JL.
    I don't know, I think it'd be fine - nobody's saying "why do we need a joker movie so soon after Suicide Squad," so I think people wouldn't mind. Just establish it as a different universe, and do something to blend them later, if wanted/needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    But Man of Steel was NOT a misstep. Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone forward with BvS. Warners was quite happy with MOS at the time when all was said and done.
    I think it was a misstep, but WB didn't think so at the time - and it was well-enough received that they felt they could improve box office and perception going forward. Which eventually proved to not be the case, even if BvS made good money.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Whatever you do DON'T reset back to neutral. No more Supes just sitting around doing generic Superhero stuff. Frankly I wouldn't even put most of the following movies in Metropolis much outside of a few here and there moments. Get him in space, on New Genesis for a team up with, in the Future with the Legion but for the love of God none of this cruise control stuff.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Soft Reboot with the same core cast, I’d build a trilogy with Luthor having a hand in creating the Parasite and Metallo for the first one. Foreshadowing of him being mentally manipulated by Brainiac from afar. The second film would introduce Mongul, WarWorld, and Supergirl, with subplots leading to the third film. Third film would be about Brainiac and Luthor, with a mix of Panic in the Sky and Johns’ Brainiac arc.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

A recast Superman with loose connections to DCEU is the best option imo.

A loose connection is best. Shazam style. A single Superman like in Donner films will miss out oppurtunities to have fun with the DC universe. And a strong continuity like Snyder's films risks putting connection or continuity before story. You need a producer driven approach for that. Which isn't DC's style.

A new Superman has a higher chance to succeed imo. Cavill might have been a great Superman according to a lot of fans. But after three films his take hasn't won over the audiences. A fourth one will have a really uphill task to succeed. It may work. But its more riskier then a fresh start imho.

First job would be to decide to make a good Superman movie. Hire the right cast, writers, director. Have a proper vision of what the next film shall be like. Accordingly get a new cast. Especially Superman.

One idea would be to make this excellent Superman appear in another film. Say Shazam or in Matt Reeve's Batman sequel if his Batman is a great one. Something like Black Panther and Spider-man in Civil War. Showcase the all new and awesome Superman to whet audience's appetities before the planned Superman film.

As for story, there are many things which can be done. I am in favor of adapting the first arc of Morrison's action. The T-shirt and jeans wearing social crusader. I would prefer a Birthright adaptation too.

Or i have an idea like this. Set the 1st 20-25 minutes in Smallville with him operating as Superboy being friends with Luthor. But the friends fall apart. Thats better then an origin rehash as it would be the origin of Supes frenemity(is it a word?) with Luthor. Next we can have the film which is mostly Morrison's 1st arc but eventually Luthor teams up with his old friend to take down Braniac. And i would prefer Lois' role as from American Alien. A friend who joins the Planet the same time he joins the Star. Friendship with a healthy dose of professional rivalry and hints of romance.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Incredible Member

Recast everyone, including director and Superman.

Does not need first hour of redundant retelling of origin, only a flash of pod escaping blowing up Krypton can do.

Rehaul Superman's costume, to brighter blue, as well as the mood, setting, Superman's super-optimism.

Villain will be Brainiac, as I feel he's been decades overdue for a movie for public awareness, as most of the majority, non-comics-or-cartoons people only knows Luthor and Zod. Brainiac is supposed to be Superman nemesis Number Two.

Can still fit Justice League-Verse, just use that Superman as Superman from then on, viewers can decide on choosing if Snyder movies in continuity.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-12-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Recast everyone, including director and Superman.

Does not need first hour of redundant retelling of origin, only a flash of pod escaping blowing up Krypton can do.

Rehaul Superman's costume, to brighter blue, as well as the mood, setting, Superman's super-optimism.

Villain will be Brainiac, as I feel he's been decades overdue for a movie for public awareness, as most of the majority, non-comics-or-cartoons people only knows Luthor and Zod. Brainiac is supposed to be Superman nemesis Number Two.

Can still fit Justice League-Verse, just use that Superman as Superman from then on, viewers can decide on choosing if Snyder movies in continuity.
    Issue with that is, it would potentially skew too closely to The Amazing Spider-Man and the upcoming Batman origin by Matt Reeves. Doing Brainiac and his similarities to Zod, will skew closer to MOS. Point is, it would make the whole exercise redundant. Remember, Supes is trapped in a cycle of 4 stories. Origin, Evil, Dies, Donner. MOS = Origin, Evil = JL (briefly), Dies = BvS, Donner = Superman Returns. All of these have been done in the last 13 years. At this point, it's better to go forward with a new story. That's the only way to remain competitive and relevant. Preferably, the story should have him solve the problem with something other than his fists. Pick any comic, cartoon or movie and you'll see that pattern frequented too over the recent decades.

Retired

Unless it's germane to the plot (such as a Brainiac story), I don't see the point in telling Superman's origin again--even in a mini flashback--since everybody knows the broad strokes. The 1966 BATMAN series only briefly covered Bruce's origin in a line of dialogue and never showed the actual details.

In fact, by not showing an origin sequence, the audience will just recall the version they know best and plug that into the story.

Yeah, if I absolutely had to do a hard reboot (which honestly, why would you even with Cavill still around and awesome), I would just skip all the origin stuff. This was what I thought they'd do, and wanted them to do, in 2013 in the first place. After ten years of Smallville, I thought, why would anyone need yet another Superman origin. The fact that I happen to really like Man of Steel has done nothing to change that basic perspective. Origins are unnecessary.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."