View Poll Results: How would you restart the Superman movie franchise?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Man of Steel sequel with Zack Snyder returning

4 5.48%
  • A Man of Steel sequel with a new director but w/ same cast

31 42.47%
  • A recast Superman movie loosely in the DCEU

13 17.81%
  • A full reboot with a new continuity, no connection to the DCEU

17 23.29%
  • Just have spinoff movies like Supergirl

2 2.74%
  • Give the entire franchise a rest for the foreseeable future

3 4.11%
  • Other

3 4.11%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cavill and Adams don’t have any chemistry together. Not really sure keeping them is a good idea.
    I thought they were fine but i haven't seen them in a while. I'd have to double check but I'm not attached to keeping them.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought they were fine but i haven't seen them in a while. I'd have to double check but I'm not attached to keeping them.
    I agree with Vordan. If you compare Cavill with Adams against Reeve and Kidder, Cain and Hatcher, and even Welling and Durance (I don't care for that show but won't crap on everything about it), I'd say Cavill and Adams come in dead last. It's like the other three pairs lapped them.

I thought they had good chemistry, you see them interact off screen and it's there. The movies just seemed to actively want to subvert it. Man of Steel had flashes of it that with a different script and director could have been right up there. They are both ridiciously charming when they aren't in those roles.

But yeah, compared to Reeve and Kidder or Welling and Durrance it's not even a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I thought they had good chemistry, you see them interact off screen and it's there. The movies just seemed to actively want to subvert it. Man of Steel had flashes of it that with a different script and director could have been right up there. They are both ridiciously charming when they aren't in those roles.

But yeah, compared to Reeve and Kidder or Welling and Durrance it's not even a contest.
    Don’t get me wrong, Adams I know is a fantastic actor, and I’m willing to concede a lot of the problems for Cavill probably stem from Goyer/Terrio’s scripts and Snyder’s directing, but at this point bringing the Snyder Superverse actors back feels like trying to swim upstream with an anchor around your legs. Superman already has a hard time in the public eye, does bringing these actors who have already been in bad to mixed movies really feel better over a full reboot? Batman is getting a ton of excitement and he’s got a full reboot. I really think the way forward is to simply start over.

Really the breaking point for me is I will not go see a Superman movie if Eisenberg is in it, I can’t stand him. So I’d rather just get a full reboot where hopefully we won’t have Lex or Zod as the main bad guys, and none of the Snyder movies reputation hanging overhead.

Cavill and Adams don’t have any chemistry together. Not really sure keeping them is a good idea.
    I don't think they had much chemistry either. But outside of that, they're just unfortunately attached to a failed concept in the Snyderverse. Its not their fault, just like it wasn't Routh's fault with SR. But when you're attached to a failed incarnation, its hard to justify starting over but doing so with that extra weight attached. Like you said in your latest post, its like an unneeded anchor attached right from the start.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

To me they are my favorite Clark/Lois pairing. Full stop. They had the most mature relationship dynamic of them all. The problem was the tone of the movies didn't allow them to have more joyful and romantic scenes together, IMO. Their movies were too angsty and dark.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think Cavill and Adams had better chemistry in interviews than they did in the film. But the material they were given to work with wasn't geared towards fun, romantic chemistry. Cavill is no doubt the weaker actor, but I doubt even if we had a more experienced actor in his place that he and Adams would be able to wring much from the material. Cavill has limited range, but so do Momoa and Gadot, and they had better directors who played to their strengths.

So I ultimately don't blame the lack of chemistry on the actors (especially Adams) but the end result is the same no matter how you slice it. Other versions of the pairing were better

Honestly though its not even close to one of my favorite incarnations of the lore, I still think the best overall chemistry came from Welling/Durance in Smallville. If that dynamic could be captured in a film or a show more to my liking, I'd be pumped.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly though its not even close to one of my favorite incarnations of the lore, I still think the best overall chemistry came from Welling/Durance in Smallville. If that dynamic could be captured in a film or a show more to my liking, I'd be pumped.
    Man, Durance was the best live action Lois we've ever had. If someone couldn't act their way into chemistry with that woman, they're truly and inescapably dead inside.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Either of the two leading options. I'd prefer Cavill and company with a new director would be interesting, but I'd also be down for a completely fresh break. No origins please.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Co-signed, these two pairs sold it for me. Cavill and Adams didn't do it for me, but to be honest I didn't get a lot of sincere positive emotions from anyone in those movies. I remember enjoying Man of Steel until about the end of the second act, but the one thing it was missing was the chemistry between its leads. I'm thinking back to all of Snyder's films I've seen (300, Watchmen, his DCEU stuff) and I've never seen one ounce of romantic tension so I just don't know if that's his wheelhouse), but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Co-signed, these two pairs sold it for me. Cavill and Adams didn't do it for me, but to be honest I didn't get a lot of sincere positive emotions from anyone in those movies. I remember enjoying Man of Steel until about the end of the second act, but the one thing it was missing was the chemistry between its leads. I'm thinking back to all of Snyder's films I've seen (300, Watchmen, his DCEU stuff) and I've never seen one ounce of romantic tension so I just don't know if that's his wheelhouse), but I don't know.
    I can tell you romance sure as hell isn't Goyer’s wheelhouse at the very least. Bale is one of the best actors ever but he had no chemistry with any of the love interests in the Nolan Batman movies either imo. So it’s unsurprising that MOS didn’t buck that trend with its romantic leads.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I can tell you romance sure as hell isn't Goyer’s wheelhouse at the very least. Bale is one of the best actors ever but he had no chemistry with any of the love interests in the Nolan Batman movies either imo. So it’s unsurprising that MOS didn’t buck that trend with its romantic leads.
    Yeah. WB of late sure loves hitching their wagon to people who don't know how to handle people who want to be with each other.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

make an irongiant meets superman movie. that will get people's attention.i mean,wb owns the character. don't they?

Gonna play devil's advocate: what movies have you seen with Bale in which he's had good romantic chemistry with anyone? I saw maybe seven of his films, and off the top of my head I can't recall one interesting romance of his; Katie Holmes was his best romantic partner.