Default Batgirl #34 ("Terrible" Part 1 of 3) discussion thread

BATGIRL #34
    When Barbara Gordon confronts her father about James Jr.’s return to Gotham City, the stress between them causes the two to finally break apart. As a result, Babs has to move into her own apartment…but her celebration is cut short when her check bounces! Batgirl returns to Burnside to find out if you really can go home again—spoiler alert: you can’t when the Terrible Trio has taken over!
    Art by: Norm Rapmund, Paul Pelletier
    Cover by: Francis Manapul / Variant cover by: Joshua Middleton
    Written by: Mairghread Scott
    U.S. Price: $3.99
    On Sale Date: Apr 24 2019
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-34

While I generally liked the interior art, I was less-than-thrilled with the writing. I've gotten very tired of Scott's writing Babs as being angry all the time, and really don't feel much enjoyment in the overall situation.

I was also confused as to why on the main cover, all three members of the Terrible Trio appear to be males, but inside we have a Vulture who's actually a female?

Oh, and here's the variant cover for issue #34:

Issue #35 is due out May 22nd.
    (https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-35)

BANNED

"Terrible" is my exact opinion of this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    "Terrible" is my exact opinion of this book.
    I only visited the topic for this tittle(I am not reading batgirl) but I am surprised to heard this..

I thought that BATGIRL comic was improving now without her Burnside life&costume.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Spectacular Member

I was excited when Scott took over. We were going to have, because of circumstance, more interaction between Barbara and her dad, which I love. And we’ve gotten more interaction all right- almost entirely negative. An incredibly temperamental and instantly triggered Barbara yelling at her dad, he at her, repeat. It is very distressing, not at all entertaining, and a very difficult read.

Fantastic Member

probably wants to make their relationship antagonistic instead of how it was before. I guess in his mind if you are batfam member you always have a bad relationship with your mentor or parent examples dick damian , jason etc

Its just drama. Everyone getting alone, every time, all the time, gets boring.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I only visited the topic for this tittle(I am not reading batgirl) but I am surprised to heard this..

I thought that BATGIRL comic was improving now without her Burnside life&costume.
    It had a pretty strong start, but didn't stay on the level.
    But the run has sofar (I have not read the current issue) been definitely above the Burnside Run.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It had a pretty strong start, but didn't stay on the level.
    But the run has sofar (I have not read the current issue) been definitely above the Burnside Run.
    I hated the first issue of the Burnside run and dropped the title immediately.

However, I would browse through later issues in Barnes & Noble (when they still carried single issues) and saw some decent stuff, so I went back and bought/read the previous issues. After those first two issues, the Burnside run got much better and actually became somewhat enjoyable.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hated the first issue of the Burnside run and dropped the title immediately.

However, I would browse through later issues in Barnes & Noble (when they still carried single issues) and saw some decent stuff, so I went back and bought/read the previous issues. After those first two issues, the Burnside run got much better and actually became somewhat enjoyable.
    To this day, I am surprised there is still such negativity to the Burnside era. I'm not saying they hit a home run, but Batgirl DESPERATELY needed a massive overhaul, and actually becoming fun to read seems like a step up to me.

I'm glad you gave it a second chance, as I felt it was an enjoyable run under Stewart & co.

Saying that, I am very much a lapsed fan. During the whole Rebirth era there are a few books I've fallen really behind on, and Batgirl is one of them (after the son of Penguin story). I was surprised to see the new costume in Heroes in Crisis, and am not sure on it yet.

I always liked the Terrible Trio as a concept, so maybe this is a good place to jump back in.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    . . . I always liked the Terrible Trio as a concept, so maybe this is a good place to jump back in.
    One word of warning about using this three-issue arc to "jump back in": these three issues are the end of Scott's run. Cecil Castellucci will be writing #37 (available in July) with an issue tying in to the overall "The Year of the Villain" push across the DC line.