Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Three year break after Episode 9, then two year breaks for next three films.

It's unclear what exactly the films are, but it looks like they're definitely giving it a bit more breathing room after releasing them every year until SOLO. I guess they figure the Disney+ will hold fans over.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...iled-by-disney
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

That makes complete sense. We know nothing beyond pre-production has been done on any of this and we have little idea of what's done otherwise. Film takes about three years to make so this makes sense to have a three year gap.

Given The Mandolorian was happening, The Clone Wars revival, and The Rise of Skywalker has all been happening in addition to Resistance's development, I'm not surprised they'd need a break from the moving parts to square up what's coming next. There was a lot of moving parts on various productions that need to be accounted for and Solo's biggest problems came from a lack of oversight. So making sure they have a timeline with only so many productions makes sense to do after a break.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

So...

1. Either Rian Johnson's trilogy will appear on Disney+

2. He really does believe the project is happening and is being ghosted by one of the most powerful media companies on the planet.

3. Both him and Disney know the project is dead and is hoping people will forget. Disney doesn't want it to look like they caved. Johnson doesn't want to admit that maybe the movie could have been better.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Rian Johnson's trilogy is still a thing?
    Last edited by Minerboh; 05-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Rian Johnson's trilogy is stil a thing?
    Rian has said repeatedly that it's still happening. Pop culture sites (such as this one https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...y-development/) say it's happening.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Makes sense, it will give them the chance to fully flesh out the First Order era via various media and then start with something new and distinctive after enough time has passed. And those who missed the anthology films like me will likely have Disney+ to satisfy us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Rian has said repeatedly that it's still happening. Pop culture sites (such as this one https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...y-development/) say it's happening.
    They didn't learn a thing now, did they?

I think they learned a lot of lessons they never wanted to learn in a way they would have preferred to avoid.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

From the perspective of Disney, why wouldn't they do this trilogy? I understand that there's backlash against The Last Jedi, but I was under the impression that it was a vocal minority that didn't like it. The main did make $1 billion at the box office, so it seems to make economical sense to let him do more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    From the perspective of Disney, why wouldn't they do this trilogy? I understand that there's backlash against The Last Jedi, but I was under the impression that it was a vocal minority that didn't like it. The main did make $1 billion at the box office, so it seems to make economical sense to let him do more.
    Theman may have made a billion but he made a huge backlash against him and the franchise. Fans even threatened to boycottage future installments.
    It is extremely questionable if his trilogy will be well received.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 05-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I think they learned a lot of lessons they never wanted to learn in a way they would have preferred to avoid.
    If that's the case then they should take Johnson and put him into another project.
    Anyway, we will see what's the case once it becomes what these movies are actually about.

If that's the case then they should take Johnson and put him into another project.
    Anyway, we will see what's the case once it becomes what these movies are actually about.
    Well, Disney can bring back the Looper franchise. But he does his best work with noir.

Or maybe Johnson's films and the GOT his will take turns coming out? First Rian's film comes out. Then the next film will be a part of the other trilogy by the GOT folks.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

I think the reception of Episode IX will be telling for the future of the franchise, and could also help decide the future of Rian Johnson and his Star Wars trilogy. If it is received well and does well, as in well over a billion plus, then I think the franchise will be fine. If, however, it makes less than a billion or, dare I say, actually loses money for whatever reason, then the franchise will be in severe trouble and I don't see Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy getting off the ground since the troubles will have started just after The Last Jedi and the backlash against it.

I think Johnson's still well-regarded outside the Star Wars fandom. Not just for his other projects but also for his work on Breaking Bad.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Apparently, Disney DID learn their lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOSKPy3AD8