As a youth in 1989 I was blown away by Ice-T's The Iceberg album.

It opens with "Shut up be happy" a spoken word piece from Jello Biafra (dead Kennedys) with a Black Sabbath riff in the background (song?) where "America is now under martial laaaaaw" and ALL rights have been taken away. It seemed ludricous back then but now ...? It made me really question a lot of authority.

followed by
Lethal weapon. All about the use and misuse of the mind as a weapon. The line "fully strapped always packed, go to the library for more ammo" lit a green light in my mind when I did library studies in college and am now writing from a high school library I have worked in for nearly 14 years! I make sure to a hip-hop every year or two.

This one's for me - a VERY personal track where Ice makes some bold statements and offers support to Public enemy during the Professor Griff incident. It made me think about speaking without fear or compromise even if it might upset others (or yourself)

Freedom of Speech - questions the agenda of those who want to ban "girlie magazines and wicked rock bands"

What albums influenced YOUR views and beliefs?