Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    101

    Default Spider-Man in the 90s

    is it hard to mine through with all of the different Spidey books/crossovers/events?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    is it hard to mine through with all of the different Spidey books/crossovers/events?
    Aside from Maximum Carnage, there's not a big event that Spider-Man was part of.

    The real problem with the 90s is the Clone Saga. From 1994-1996, it caused such a mess and stink that it's aftermath and getting past that continued until the rest of the decade, with JMS being the guy who restored sanity.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Aside from Maximum Carnage, there's not a big event that Spider-Man was part of.

    The real problem with the 90s is the Clone Saga. From 1994-1996, it caused such a mess and stink that it's aftermath and getting past that continued until the rest of the decade, with JMS being the guy who restored sanity.
    There were a lot of crossovers during the Clone Saga, though.

    Fortunately, there are some decent 90s comics. Michelinie's Amazing Spider-Man was largely crossover free. JM DeMatteis and Sal Buscema had the Harry Osborn saga in Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200. Kurt Busiek and company mined the silver age well with Amazing Fantasy #16-18/ Untold Tales of Spider-Man.

  4. #4
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,048

    Default

    Navigating 90's Spider-Man comics is like navigating the Amazon rainforest with warped magnetic fields and the temperature of colliding suns using a butter knife while riding a unicycle and eating juicy, delicious beetles (JMD stuff) but in the middle you get bitten by a giant crocodile covered in leopard fur with the venom of a snake (Maximum Carnage) and then fall into a pit of quicksand that you have to pull yourself out of using a belt buckle tied to the end of a shoestring (Clone Saga) and then when you finally make it out you find a 7-11 oasis stocked up on anti-toxins, hot dogs, and cherry vanilla Coca-Cola (Untold Tales) but when you continue the journey your unicycle breaks so you're traveling upside down by putting the wheel under your head (Byrne/Mackie) but you can drop your butter knife because you found a laser sword that slices through all of the obstacles in your way (Webspinners) and then your wheel hits a rock and you end up flipping and spinning into the air so high that you fly out of the Amazon and into the Bermuda Triangle where you fall into a cosmic gate that sends you to a utopian planet. You have made it to 21st century Spider-Man, it's all good from there.
    Omega Level Rodent Fighter

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Oh sorry I meant to clarify and I'm guessing this means navigating Peter Parker Spider-Man through the 90s...wos Snoop Dogg, your post was hilarious.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Navigating 90's Spider-Man comics is like navigating the Amazon rainforest with warped magnetic fields and the temperature of colliding suns using a butter knife while riding a unicycle and eating juicy, delicious beetles (JMD stuff) but in the middle you get bitten by a giant crocodile covered in leopard fur with the venom of a snake (Maximum Carnage) and then fall into a pit of quicksand that you have to pull yourself out of using a belt buckle tied to the end of a shoestring (Clone Saga) and then when you finally make it out you find a 7-11 oasis stocked up on anti-toxins, hot dogs, and cherry vanilla Coca-Cola (Untold Tales) but when you continue the journey your unicycle breaks so you're traveling upside down by putting the wheel under your head (Byrne/Mackie) but you can drop your butter knife because you found a laser sword that slices through all of the obstacles in your way (Webspinners) and then your wheel hits a rock and you end up flipping and spinning into the air so high that you fly out of the Amazon and into the Bermuda Triangle where you fall into a cosmic gate that sends you to a utopian planet. You have made it to 21st century Spider-Man, it's all good from there.
    What he said. Amen. Hell to the Yes.

    Until the 90s, Spider-Man never had a bad decade being possibly Marvel's most consistently maintained title. Having said that there were still great stuff in the 90s...not everything before was great, and not everything during the 90s, and even during the Clone Saga is bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There were a lot of crossovers during the Clone Saga, though.

    Fortunately, there are some decent 90s comics. Michelinie's Amazing Spider-Man was largely crossover free. JM DeMatteis and Sal Buscema had the Harry Osborn saga in Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200. Kurt Busiek and company mined the silver age well with Amazing Fantasy #16-18/ Untold Tales of Spider-Man.
    I see JMD-Buscema and the Michelinie run as holdovers from the 80s since they basically all began in 1987. Kraven's Last Hunt and Michelinie's run began in that year. Busiek's Untold Tales is excellent but again it's a throwback right.

    In it's own confused way, the Clone Saga actually was a 90s story. I mean cloning, weird science, leather jackets, cybernet and so on...all those weird concerns look ahead to stuff that The Matrix dealt with, and the Matrix is very much a 90s story, and it executed the themes of Clone Saga better than the actual one did, mostly because the stuff it tackled with works better in dystopian science-fiction than in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man.

  7. #7
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Navigating 90's Spider-Man comics is like navigating the Amazon rainforest with warped magnetic fields and the temperature of colliding suns using a butter knife while riding a unicycle and eating juicy, delicious beetles (JMD stuff) but in the middle you get bitten by a giant crocodile covered in leopard fur with the venom of a snake (Maximum Carnage) and then fall into a pit of quicksand that you have to pull yourself out of using a belt buckle tied to the end of a shoestring (Clone Saga) and then when you finally make it out you find a 7-11 oasis stocked up on anti-toxins, hot dogs, and cherry vanilla Coca-Cola (Untold Tales) but when you continue the journey your unicycle breaks so you're traveling upside down by putting the wheel under your head (Byrne/Mackie) but you can drop your butter knife because you found a laser sword that slices through all of the obstacles in your way (Webspinners) and then your wheel hits a rock and you end up flipping and spinning into the air so high that you fly out of the Amazon and into the Bermuda Triangle where you fall into a cosmic gate that sends you to a utopian planet. You have made it to 21st century Spider-Man, it's all good from there.
    My dude....how do you continually make me laugh with every post??
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  8. #8
    Mighty Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There were a lot of crossovers during the Clone Saga, though.

    Fortunately, there are some decent 90s comics. Michelinie's Amazing Spider-Man was largely crossover free. JM DeMatteis and Sal Buscema had the Harry Osborn saga in Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200. Kurt Busiek and company mined the silver age well with Amazing Fantasy #16-18/ Untold Tales of Spider-Man.
    Totally agree, especially the Busiek run. I'll also add Spidey's adventure in 2099 from Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •