Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Revamp a Villain

I saw the “Revamp a Hero thread but couldn’t find a ”Revamp a Villain”, so here you go.

What villain would you revamp?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Revamp+Villain

i'm good with there being a part II of the thread. but i didn't start the original. so i have no say in it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-09-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Lightning round revamps...

Hindsight being 20/20, I think they should make the Marvel Knights origin of costumed villains canon. They were originally G.Is and mercenaries outfitted with their weapons by corporate and government entities wanting a counter to the rising number of superheroes. With that in mind...

A much younger Norman Osborn would have gotten his start (as a mere technician) testing the hardware that was set aside for hired criminal operatives. He would see it as his patriotic duty and the way to become a success/support his new family. He'd eventually be given a masked identity of his own as the Red Cap. Most of his work would be industrial sabotage but he'd target a number of accused communists. His work and silence would make him several wealthy and well connected friends. There would be long term plans for Norman as a political figure. But the people behind the scenes see Norman as a pawn, at this point. He's vulnerable because, on some level, he wants to be a good man. He genuinely loves his family and country.

Moving along, Osborn now runs the lab. He's one of many to attempt to replicate or outdo Erskine. Yadda yadda he hits some set backs, takes some risks, and winds up with enhanced physical abilities, a heightened intellect, and every cluster B disorder you can imagine. He's smarter than Peter but focused entirely on complex revenge schemes and acquiring power. Early on, there'd be a clear distinction between family man Norman and the Goblin. At some point, his chemical imbalance evens out so he's more in control but at the loss of his altruism. He's the Goblin who now enjoys masquerading as Norman and sponsoring other costumed criminals as a nod to his origins.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-14-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Lightning round revamps...

Hindsight being 20/20, I think they should make the Marvel Knights origin of costumed villains canon. They were originally G.Is and mercenaries outfitted with their weapons by corporate and government entities wanting a counter to the rising number of superheroes. With that in mind...

A much younger Norman Osborn would have gotten his start (as a mere technician) testing the hardware that was set aside for hired criminal operatives. He would see it as his patriotic duty and the way to become a success/support his new family. He'd eventually be given a masked identity of his own as the Red Cap. Most of his work would be industrial sabotage but he'd target a number of accused communists. His work and silence would make him several wealthy and well connected friends. There would be long term plans for Norman as a political figure. But the people behind the scenes see Norman as a pawn, at this point. He's vulnerable because, on some level, he wants to be a good man. He genuinely loves his family and country.

Moving along, Osborn now runs the lab. He's one of many to attempt to replicate or outdo Erskine. Yadda yadda he hits some set backs, takes some risks, and winds up with enhanced physical abilities, a heightened intellect, and every cluster B disorder you can imagine. He's smarter than Peter but focused entirely on complex revenge schemes and acquiring power. Early on, there'd be a clear distinction between family man Norman and the Goblin. At some point, his chemical imbalance evens out so he's more in control but at the loss of his altruism. He's the Goblin who now enjoys masquerading as Norman and sponsoring other costumed criminals as a nod to his origins.

Movi
    I like that idea. I like it a lot.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I like that idea. I like it a lot.
    thank you. I would have done a few more. but it takes so much longer on my phone.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

thank you. I would have done a few more. but it takes so much longer on my phone.
    You're welcome, and I can understand that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Is this open to everyone? Can anyone suggest a Marvel villain revamp? What are the rules?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Is this open to everyone? Can anyone suggest a Marvel villain revamp? What are the rules?
    Just think of a Marvel villain that you’d like to remake. Then, write down your prompt.

Incredible Member

Orb: Bring back Drake Shannon, turn him into an eye-themed cenobite, and upgrade his powers to duplicate any optic based ability and he could be a real, credible threat. As for motivation, I'd say just play him off as the herald of higher power like Blackheart, Mephistopheles, or someone similar.

Jack O' Lantern: progress with Steven Levins functioning as Jack O' Lantern after his death in Civil War and acting as a demonic agent of Mephistopheles/Blackheart; with his appearance taking on a more demonic look to better represent his new found supernatural status as seen during Lucifer's possession of his body in Ghost Rider. new found abilities and appearance somewhat reminiscent of a modernized Headless Horseman from the legend of Sleepy Hollow instead of keeping him as another Goblin knockoff seeing as there are already too many running around.

Scarecrow: if you'e familiar with either the Creeper (Jeepers Creepers) or the Scarecrow from the first season of Supernatural then you have a pretty good idea of where I want to go with this character. Probably base his mannerisms and methodology more off the former as it's a great deal more intimidating and arguably dangerous villain.

Kraven the Hunter: Newfound supernatural nature would make Kraven something more akin to Morlun, a supernatural predator obsessed with hunting down totemic animal characters and consuming their essence in order to gain the powers and abilities associated with the totem in question. While mostly independent Kraven could occasionally be shown to work for higher entities like Mephistopheles and Zadkiel, acting more along the lines of a bounty hunter for hell. New arsenal would include a number of mystic talismans and relics which would be acquired over the course of successful hunts and bounties.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Scarecrow: if you'e familiar with either the Creeper (Jeepers Creepers) or the Scarecrow from the first season of Supernatural then you have a pretty good idea of where I want to go with this character. Probably base his mannerisms and methodology more off the former as it's a great deal more intimidating and arguably dangerous villain.
    so the character, Terror?

I actually went and revamped a whole team of Marvel villains. It's called Thugs, and it deals with several of Marvel's well-known villains. Please check it out and let me know what you think:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1646615...rganized-Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    I actually went and revamped a whole team of Marvel villains. It's called Thugs, and it deals with several of Marvel's well-known villains. Please check it out and let me know what you think:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1646615...rganized-Crime
    I read this before. Very well done. I’ve read a lot of fan fiction. Especially the B villain stuff and the Avengers. I’m still waiting for Thugs 4. When are you going to continue it?
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 05-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Incredible Member

so the character, Terror?
    ...actually yeah, they kinda are more or less the same thing now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    ...actually yeah, they kinda are more or less the same thing now that I think about it.
    Well they are all decent revamps. Scarecrow could definitely use something to set him apart from the distinguished competition. I guess that's why the supernatural angle was added in the first place. Limb/organ harvest-ing makes perfect sense for a scarecrow. Borrowing from the 80s horror 'Scarecrows' you could also give him the ability to reanimate the people he kills/making scarecrows of his own ; with limits, of course.

Magneto

He's my favorite villain; definitely in my top 5 favorite characters list. So, this will be more spring cleaning than revamp.

Find the midpoint between the one dimensional bug eyed mutant supremacist of the original run and Claremont's idealized version. Actually, just go with Bunn's version. Max isn't a good man or even needing to be seen as one. He was a good kid who had his childhood and innocence ripped away from him. His temperament and a series of horrible experiences fashioned him into a dangerous individual committed to controlling his environment, protecting mutantkind, and engaging in acts of terrorism to accomplish both ends. Part of him might want the X-Men as a replacement family. But the pragmatist in him realizes that they will always try to hold him back from doing what is necessary.

Mostly what I want is for there to be emphasis on his non-mutant abilities; his ability to plan long term, his knowledge of the enemy, and his ability to be dangerous without his powers (it's a real crutch for the people who face him). I don't see a guy like that relying solely on manipulating magnetic fields. He's too paranoid. I would also establish that, in the earl days, he would have used a mutant healer of some sort (or Astra) to mitigate the effects of aging. This covers his post WWII adventures. But the healer would have perished shortly after the X-Men's creation; making him more active/desperate. And I would swap out Mutant Alpha with Wanda; introducing the first temporary glimpse of her true potential. I don't particularly like the xmen's involvement with the shear. So I might have someone besides Eric the Red restore him to his prime. Apocalypse, Astra, or The High Evolutionary maybe.

Sort out the Zaladane stuff. If Lorna is his daughter, they should really change Zaladane's name. Actually that reminds me. I don't need Magneto to be a polymath or a geneticist. An engineering background makes sense. Him being a smart guy with collegiate knowledge of the sciences is perfectly ok. But it's lazy to roll that into one character. He's always been clever enough to find experts and gain their compliance. Maybe he winds up in the Savageland, finds one of the Evolutionary's abandoned labs, and instructs Brainchild to make him some mutates. Zala_____ could be some failed clone that he planned to use as a battery for his powers.

And erase everything that Grant Morrison did with the character.