Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
Thank you. I remember people not liking the idea of Mandarin being the pawn of an alien race. So I did a quick read of the dragon seed storyline. Decided that it would be cleaner to fit those characters into existing kunlun history. I also gave Mandarin some dignity back by having him be so insanely high on himself that the dragon’s essence couldn’t control him. He would make a play for kunlun at some point and pretend to be Master Khan. He’d also have a strange relationship of mutual respect with Fin Fang Foom. They both have contempt for humanity.

Thank you for picking up on the symmetry with stark’s story. I tend to rush when I type this out on my phone. He’s very much what tony was before taking over stark industries; an intellectually gifted hedonist. Having Chinese underworld figures put him in a trunk and take him to a killing field was supposed to be his shrapnel to the heart moment. And Makkulan is blatantly yinsen in the story. But make no mistake, the Mandarin would acknowledge no commonality between himself and any other person besides maybe Genghis Khan. The rings amplify all of his character flaws even as they augment his chi. His senses are dialed up to 10 as well. I would distinguish this from Norman Osborn’s super sanity.
You're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
I almost referenced Kill Bill. But I couldn’t remember the actual name of the squad. Sure, Nawlins is a great location. The general vibe works with how they like to spend their downtime. I don’t need to touch the Guild because it’s already been revamped for the Black Cat series. It’s no longer a lebeau family affair. The Serpent Society, like everyone else who engages in illicit activity in the region, would have to pay the Guild’s toll. Similarly, they don’t operate in New York without being taxed by the Kingpin or the Pride on the West Coast. There are rules to this game.
I believe they were called the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad in Kill Bill. And yes, criminal syndicates do indeed have their rules.