Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In other words, to quote from TV Tropes' parlance, "evil is easy," but . . . "being evil sucks."
    Yes but I also wanted to establish it as a highly regulated profession. The SHRA would be nothing new to costumed criminals. It would also explain why, after failing, they continue to pursue this behavior. At some point, it becomes just as risky to retire.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Yes but I also wanted to establish it as a highly regulated profession. The SHRA would be nothing new to costumed criminals. It would also explain why, after failing, they continue to pursue this behavior. At some point, it becomes just as risky to retire.
    As Spider-Man himself put it in one episode of 90s TAS, "Talk about your dramatic irony." Supervillains are extremely regulated, but superheroes have comparatively much looser bounds of supervision.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Hybrid/Life Foundation Symbiotes
    - Short version. Symbiote pack hunters that share a unique hivemind between them, with Hybrid acting as the default setting and splitting off into its separate components to deal with certain threats. One primary host that would retain one of the symbiotes while the other 3 acquired temporary host while separated.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Hybrid/Life Foundation Symbiotes
    - Short version. Symbiote pack hunters that share a unique hivemind between them, with Hybrid acting as the default setting and splitting off into its separate components to deal with certain threats. One primary host that would retain one of the symbiotes while the other 3 acquired temporary host while separated.
    That sounds like a pretty good way to bring Hybrid back after Absolute Carnage.

Incredible Member

Essentially have the Life Foundation Symbiotes bond themselves to a single host again following the events of Absolute Carnage, between everything that transpired during that event and Knull waking up it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that they might have changed on a fundamental level or possibly even still remain under the thrall of Knull’s influence. From there might Hybrid into their default form, serving as something of a unique form of symbiosis that could even constitute what they consider a pack formation. Makes sense considering it literally entails them working together for the sake of the whole, not to mention how they each bring their own unique ability to the table that realistically would enable them to take on stronger threats than any of them could on their own. At the same time they’d have the added benefit of being able to separate into their individual components when necessary, which I can seeing particularly useful when dealing with certain individuals like Venom and other known threats to the symbiotes. Even separated I can see them still sharing a mental link with one another via a collective hivemind that would be unique to them, giving them a higher degree of coordination even while separated from one another.

The identity of the host could be inconsequential by making it that the symbiotes receive whatever they need to survive from each other while fused into Hybrid or they could just as easily take a page out of the Venom movie with them jumping around from host to host, using them up and quickly replacing them as necessary. I could see that definitely being the case whenever Hybrid separates, with each component snatching up whoever/whatever happens to be around to serve as a convenient host until it’s time for them to merge again. At the same time they could just as easily benefit from a full time host at which case it’s really just a matter of deciding whether it would be an established character or someone entirely new. Exactly how much influence the host would have could be a matter up for debate, partly due to whoever bonds being forced to cope with the combined wills of multiple symbiotes. Even a particular strong-willed host might find himself having difficulty exerting control over a fully realized Hybrid, though the same couldn’t be said for a diminished Hybrid once it separates itself would in itself make for an interesting weakness.

Part of me thinks that Lee Price could be an interesting host but at the same time I really don’t like how the character was presented during his initial appearance, still I suppose he could be a suitable candidate provided they tone down his ability to dominate any given symbiote through sheer force of will. Plus possessing other people with symbiotes directly under his control is sorta his MO, at least following Venom Inc., so I suppose it wouldn’t be too much of stretch. Not to mention you get the added benefit of adding the Mania(c) symbiote to the mix, could be a decent way to redeem the character.
    Last edited by Draegwolf; 05-16-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Essentially have the Life Foundation Symbiotes bond themselves to a single host again following the events of Absolute Carnage, between everything that transpired during that event and Knull waking up it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that they might have changed on a fundamental level or possibly even still remain under the thrall of Knull’s influence. From there might Hybrid into their default form, serving as something of a unique form of symbiosis that could even constitute what they consider a pack formation. Makes sense considering it literally entails them working together for the sake of the whole, not to mention how they each bring their own unique ability to the table that realistically would enable them to take on stronger threats than any of them could on their own. At the same time they’d have the added benefit of being able to separate into their individual components when necessary, which I can seeing particularly useful when dealing with certain individuals like Venom and other known threats to the symbiotes. Even separated I can see them still sharing a mental link with one another via a collective hivemind that would be unique to them, giving them a higher degree of coordination even while separated from one another.

The identity of the host could be inconsequential by making it that the symbiotes receive what they need to survive from each other while fused into hybrid or they could just as easily take a page out of the Venom movie with them jumping around from host to host, using them up and quickly replacing them as necessary. I could see that definitely being the case whenever Hybrid separates, with each component snatching up whoever/whatever happens to be around to serve as a convenient host until it’s time for them to merge again. At the same time they could just as easily benefit from a full time host at which case it’s really just a matter of deciding whether it would be an established character or someone entirely new. Exactly how much influence the host would have could be a matter up for debate, partly due to whoever bonds being forced to cope with the combined wills of multiple symbiotes. Even a particular strong-willed host might find himself having difficulty exerting control over a fully realized Hybrid, though the same couldn’t be said for a diminished Hybrid once it separates itself would in itself make for an interesting weakness.
    Part of me thinks that Lee Price could be an interesting host but at the same time I really don’t like how the character was presented during his initial appearance, still I suppose he could be a suitable candidate provided they town down his ability to dominate any given symbiote through sheer force of will. Plus possessing other people with symbiotes directly under his control is sorta his MO, at least following Venom Inc., so I suppose it wouldn’t be too much of stretch. Not to mention you get the added benefit of adding the Mania(c) symbiote to the mix, could be a decent way to redeem the character.
    If not for the fact that Lee Price was taken out by Carnage in the Spider-Man/Venom Free Comic Book Day issue leading into Absolute Carnage, I'd be fine with him coming back as the new Hybrid. Overall, I do like your expanded idea for revamping Hybrid.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If not for the fact that Lee Price was taken out by Carnage in the Spider-Man/Venom Free Comic Book Day issue leading into Absolute Carnage, I'd be fine with him coming back as the new Hybrid. Overall, I do like your expanded idea for revamping Hybrid.
    I am aware but at the same time we both know that death means nothing in comics. Still, it does seem like he got targeted specifically in response to people not liking him XD

I am aware but at the same time we both know that death means nothing in comics. Still, it does seem like he got targeted specifically in response to people not liking him XD
    Those are good points, too, I'll admit.

CROSS/PYM (corrections & additions)

. Henry Pym British born polymath - the UK's answer to Reed Richards - original Ant-man - pacifist - brilliant scientist in her own right and reluctant Russian intelligence agent sent to monitor Pym the scientist - she comes to love him and becomes instrumental in the creation of the Ant-man identity as they are both entomology hobbyists - they operate as Ant-man and Ant-woman and are lauded for their skill as detectives - Maria's death is arranged by criminal mastermind and turncoat Elias Starr partially because the Russian government paid him to and mostly for revenge against the costumed sleuths who exposed his crimes (he had been a noted economic adviser) - the helmet controls robots designed to look like ants (Maria's idea) - their operating system comes into play later.

. Darren Agonistes Cross the would be next Tony Stark but without the spine, the hair, and ethics - changing CTE to dealing with telecommunications and occasionally improving upon weapons systems for the military. Darren is someone who would very much like to run with the big dogs and be part of the military industrial super villain complex. But he's fresh off of not joining the lords cardinal even after Donald Pierce nominated him. And guys like Osborn and Stane don't even acknowledge him at the club. But he has an ace up his sleeve, his cousin William. They are both MIT grads. But Will went to work for the CIA. He's made contacts. And he puts Darren in touch with Advanced Idea Mechanics. From them, he learns about Pym and some of his wondrous inventions. This is the perfect time to strike as Pym (due to a health issue) has gone off the grid. Official story is that he has returned to London while the Avengers decide whether to extend his contract. Darren wants the system that controls Pym's mecha ants. He thinks that they'd be swell for surveillance and intelligence gathering. There are also plenty of evil organizations who might put it to evil-er use. How to get it?

. Scott Lang semi-retired cyber vigilante turned tech support working stiff lackluster husband-turned-recent-divorcee but loving father. In this version, Scott wasn't caught and tried to use that opportunity to start a family and become a responsible citizen. But he's impulsive by nature and unable to resist an opportunity to break a code or work around a security system. He's not the Black Cat. The money isn't the goal. Anyways, William picks up on his trail. He recruits Scott to break into Pym's lab to steal schematics for the cyber ant icloudmacguffin; using his ex, daughter, and past as hitech Robin Hood as leverage. Scott steals the Ant-man suit out of desperation/expectation of a double cross. Pym monitors everything. They both end up having to face a swarm of Cross designed mechahornets, security goons, and AIM mercs to make sure that Cross doesn't get to keep his new toy. Darren is left comatose by feedback from the cybernetic interface. His son Aubrey is forced to step into the role of CTE's public face. But the company is mostly an AIM front. William is in the wind and will soon become a problem for the costumed hero community in general. Scott serves time as the new on-call Ant-Man for the still not ready to reenter society Pym. It would be a zero publicity gig. Only Hank and Jan would know that there's someone else wearing the costume. And Scott would be actively hiding the new hobby for fear of losing partial custody of his daughter. Pym would unofficially join the Fantastic Four as GiAnt-Man at some point (instead of Scott). The latter would still work for Jim Hammond as his informant within Heroes for Hire. And he would be hired by Stark Industries in his civilian identity.

Darren would later appear to come out of his vegetative state and get revenge on Scott in his new Drone armor (I wanted to avoid using the Yellowjacket name). But this was actually the doing of his really screwed up son, Aubrey. He found away to "pilot" his father's corpse. Uncle William puts a stop to it, eventually. But the grudge remains.

There. I'm a little more satisfied with this one. I avoided Cassie this time around. But her story doesn't change much except for not having the heart issues. She's a latent mutant whose body adapts to generate Pym particles simply from being around her father. She doesn't need to steal the particles and it would never be clear what her mutant ability would have been. Scott would not be a latent mutant. But his genetics were just right to manipulate the particles. They express differently in different users. For most people exposure would be debilitating. Their senses would be overwhelmed or their strength would decrease significantly. Pym did a lot of damage to himself in the early days. But Bill Foster discovered that aspect of the particles and Pym was able to adjust his own DNA for a workaround. His exclusive ability is to change the size of objects by touching them & without a tech assist. Scott has more fine motor control when it comes to shrinking his ear holes to block out sound or his stomach to induce vomiting. The trade off is that he often passes out when he tries to go giant size, unlike Hank and Cassie. Jan is her own deal. She's had the most work done, genetics-wise. I'll stop there. I went way past my focus on the villains.

Obadiah Stane

I wouldn’t change much. His arc in the books was pretty good in abbreviated form. The execution wasn’t all that great. But he was an effective enough villain to make it into the MCU. I certainly liked him more than any of the takes on Lex Luthor (who I think he homages). So most of my add would be to the mythology around him. Same Machiavellian business rival that took advantage of Stark’s alcoholism. Just to add some flavor I would steal from’Banshee’ and have him be banished from the Amish community. And it would happen after the community takes in a stranger (only seen in flashback) who recognizes potential and darkness in Obadiah; nurturing it. That stranger was Sir Isaac Newton. Because, as part of the world building, there’s a much larger and older war going on behind the scenes. He sets Stane on his path because, in at least one timeline, Stark takes a much darker path after being pushed over the edge by Ezekiel Stane. So he’s playing a very long game. Back to Stane, what he lacks in engineering skill he more than makes up for in raw intelligence and people skills. Prior to his death, he would attain the often overlooked position of White Knight of the Hellfire Club. And that would inform his chess motif.

Trickshot 2

Daniel Bartholomew Dubois aka Executioner

. still with the Young Masters of Evil

. Princess Python’s son

. Making the father Barney Barton (Met Zelda while looking for Clint)

. Changing the Young Masters’ benefactor to Helmut Zemo instead of Norman Osborn

. Uncanny accuracy with firearms (aim is in his genes)

. The Young Masters received training from Zemo and hired instructors such as Taskmaster

. Daniel prefers guns because of the body count but is also pretty dangerous with other range weapons

. Helmut in an act of epic pettiness has Daniel, as the “new Trickshot” go after his uncle Clint as part of a graduation of sorts (all of the Young Masters are required to engage in similar solo missions and normally against people that Zemo wants to heckle)

. He’s hastily recruited by Norman Osborn to be his second attempt at a Dark Avengers Hawkeye (but goes by Trickshot)

. Still hates archery after the experience and goes back to being the Executioner identity and becomes part of Kate Bishop’s rogues gallery when not doing Masters of Evil stuff

Astonishing Member

Eddie Brock / Venom

He is everything Alan Moore and Postmodernists think that Spider-Man is. He is a manchild who goes around fighting muggers and snarking at them to make himself feel better. He says he thinks "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility", but is really just wants to be the bully he never got to be in his youth. And that's just while he's operating in New York. Outside of New York, he does the bidding of the government and military whenever they ask him to.

Prior to becoming Venom, Eddie Brock was kinda an incel. The symbiote is like a real-life narcissist who convinced him that 'it' is all Eddie needs, and that everyone else will just hurt him. One of the ways the symbiote manipulates Eddie into this belief is by triggering the parts of the brain that cause pleasure whenever it wants to "prove" how much it cares for Eddie (since they're, you know, bonded). It has gotten to the point that Eddie doesn't even date people anymore, and isolating him like that is exactly what the symbiote wants.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-25-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Eddie Brock / Venom

He is everything Alan Moore and Postmodernists think that Spider-Man is. He is a manchild who goes around fighting muggers and snarking at them to make himself feel better. He says he thinks "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility", but is really just wants to be the bully he never got to be in his youth. And that's just while he's operating in New York. Outside of New York, he does the bidding of the government and military whenever they ask him to.

Prior to becoming Venom, Eddie Brock was kinda an incel. The symbiote is like a real-life narcissist who convinced him that 'it' is all Eddie needs, and that everyone else will just hurt him. One of the ways the symbiote manipulates Eddie into this belief is by triggering the parts of the brain that cause pleasure whenever it wants to "prove" how much it cares for Eddie (since they're, you know, bonded). It has gotten to the point that Eddie doesn't even date people anymore, and isolating him like that is exactly what the symbiote wants.
    Kind of reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-Man (comics) take on Venom.

Incredible Member

Lobos Cartel
    - Expand on what was already established in Kaine’s run of Scarlet Spider, with the Lobos family being the head of cartel operating out primarily out of Houston but who’s connections and influence spread out across most of the country and Mexico.
    - Introduce new members and expand on existing members (Eduardo, Esme, and Carlos), with newer members spread out for the most part to prevent infighting amongst the family. Family could be shown to generally operate well as a unit for the most part, but ironically it would be their humanity that drives them into conflict with one another as their greed overrides their lupine tendencies to put the pack again of the individual hence necessitating the need for it’s members to distance themselves from the main branch. At the same time they would be heavily influenced by the Salamanca’s from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul in that, animosity & petty rivalries aside, “Family is all.” And they are quick to zero in and avenge themselves on anyone that crosses them.
    - Explore the group’s connection with the Roxxon Corporation, with at least one of their members actively working for the company in a position of authority. Likewise would move away from the group’s members being mutants and make them more conventional lycanthropes, playing more into the horror aspect of their nature and making them more akin to the werewolves seen in The Howling (or at least the original).

Karl Malus
    - essentially every mad scientist from the 1950’s and onwards, taking particular cues from the Isle of Dr. Monroe & Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein
    - alternatively serve as stand in for The Thing, with Malus being heavily implied to be the mutated offspring of the Carnage symbiote. Malus memories and appearance being genetically passed on upon conception following the events of Superior Carnage or perhaps influenced by Knull’s awakening.

Roxxon Corporation
    - reinvent at least a portion (one branch) of the company to serve in a similar capacity as CAPCOM’s Umbrella Corporation within the Marvel Universe, with division of the company devoted to the creation of biological weapons and acquisition of mystic relics.
    - Honestly given the events of Damnation, Circle of Four, and the current CEO I think the company itself could easily serve as a foothold for Mephisto on earth, with the him discreetly running things behind the scenes. Basically think the Devil’s Advocate meets Resident Evil.
    - Dario Agger potentially serve as latest figurehead in Mephisto’s plans while at the same time having his own agenda that occasionally run in opposition to Mephisto’s goals. Basically Albert Wesker without all the cheese and BS.

Lobos Cartel
    - Expand on what was already established in Kaine’s run of Scarlet Spider, with the Lobos family being the head of cartel operating out primarily out of Houston but who’s connections and influence spread out across most of the country and Mexico.
    - Introduce new members and expand on existing members (Eduardo, Esme, and Carlos), with newer members spread out for the most part to prevent infighting amongst the family. Family could be shown to generally operate well as a unit for the most part, but ironically it would be their humanity that drives them into conflict with one another as their greed overrides their lupine tendencies to put the pack again of the individual hence necessitating the need for it’s members to distance themselves from the main branch. At the same time they would be heavily influenced by the Salamanca’s from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul in that, animosity & petty rivalries aside, “Family is all.” And they are quick to zero in and avenge themselves on anyone that crosses them.
    - Explore the group’s connection with the Roxxon Corporation, with at least one of their members actively working for the company in a position of authority. Likewise would move away from the group’s members being mutants and make them more conventional lycanthropes, playing more into the horror aspect of their nature and making them more akin to the werewolves seen in The Howling (or at least the original).

Karl Malus
    - essentially every mad scientist from the 1950’s and onwards, taking particular cues from the Isle of Dr. Monroe & Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein
    - alternatively serve as stand in for The Thing, with Malus being heavily implied to be the mutated offspring of the Carnage symbiote. Malus memories and appearance being genetically passed on upon conception following the events of Superior Carnage or perhaps influenced by Knull’s awakening.

Roxxon Corporation
    - reinvent at least a portion (one branch) of the company to serve in a similar capacity as CAPCOM’s Umbrella Corporation within the Marvel Universe, with division of the company devoted to the creation of biological weapons and acquisition of mystic relics.
    - Honestly given the events of Damnation, Circle of Four, and the current CEO I think the company itself could easily serve as a foothold for Mephisto on earth, with the him discreetly running things behind the scenes. Basically think the Devil’s Advocate meets Resident Evil.
    - Dario Agger potentially serve as latest figurehead in Mephisto’s plans while at the same time having his own agenda that occasionally run in opposition to Mephisto’s goals. Basically Albert Wesker without all the cheese and BS.
    I like those ideas, especially the last one. Roxxon as Mephisto's corporate foothold in this realm would indeed be a great metaphor for the moral dubiousness of corporations in real life.