Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Age of X-Man: Apocalypse and the X-Tracts #3 spoiler/review

We already knew from the preview that Unveil and Dazzler would go against Omega Red and Colossus would meet Kitty at the museum.

The museum scene doesn't go well because Poccy finds out Kitty and Piotr are bonding and beats the hell out of Colossus, reminding Kitty that she should trust him, only, and that she still doesn't know who she is. They port away while Colossus lies down.

We have a moment between Eye Boy and Genesis where Evan tries to cure Trevor's hands and fails. Trevor talks about how jealous he is that Genesis was kind of "born free" from the X-Men BS and Evan expresses his doubts because the Celestial energy he shares with Poccy allowed him to see his dad's past as a villain.

The fight with Omega goes south really quickly for the girls and Evan shows up dressed as Captain Apocalypse to save them.

There are somethings done right here. Particularly Apocalypse being 120% creepy and Evan's guilt for doubting his father. Overall, this book is still pretty boring, at least for me, so these parts don't redeem it. It's a damn shame.

5/10 sounds like a fair score.

BANNED

lol they did a reverse Colossus beating up Pete Wisdom, because the Kittylossus shippers are still mad about that. Anyway, it came extremely close to what I predicted, except they didn't get their memories back yet. SuCh aN iNtElLiGeNt SuBvErSiVe EvEnT.

Oh, Apocalypse is still evil. Who would have imagined it?

Im not feeling this book. I kind of feel like it and X-tremists should have been combined into one. Make the X-tremists main mission be about taking out the X-Tracts and it could be told from both perspectives

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Oh, Apocalypse is still evil. Who would have imagined it?
    Jealous Apocalypse is awesome. Haha, Kitty Pryde really draws the creepy stalkers doesn't she, first Colossus and now Apocalypse. I kind of want to find out before the end of this that Apocalypse is secretly in love with Kitty for real, just for the creepyness of it in the years to come.

This book is so eugh. There were enough avenues to go without doing the same ol’ “I love you, Katya! uwu” but Nadler has his hooks deep in this one. I would’ve rather read about Sharesse and Poccy getting together than...this. And Evan turning into Captain America, who is harassing the X-Men/protecting mutant hate rallies in the 616 rn, and calling himself a hero is funny as hell. This is definitely the worse book in Age of X-Man.

The ideas are good. But developed so slowly and without cleverness, that it is really hard to take this book seriously. The writer doesn't seem to be that interested in the plot to go beyond the surface and the art should be creepy and not "saturday cartoon" like. Age of X-man will surely not be reminded by this book, that will be clearly forgotten when it is finished.

The good ideais, because I did not dislike everything:
    Eye-boy feelings towards Evan are interesting.
    Omega Red saying the X-tracts are fighting against some kind of oppressors (the X-men), but being blind to the reality that Apocalypse is controlling them too.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im not feeling this book. I kind of feel like it and X-tremists should have been combined into one. Make the X-tremists main mission be about taking out the X-Tracts and it could be told from both perspectives
    The X-Tremists works for me as is, if they were going to combine the X-Tracts into another title I would make it Marvelous which already felt repetitive at issue #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The X-Tremists works for me as is, if they were going to combine the X-Tracts into another title I would make it Marvelous which already felt repetitive at issue #3.
    Yes, definitely. The conflict between Poccy and Nate should be revving up in one title, not spread out between two. It just drains the tension out of the whole thing and both books are obviously stalling because of it - Omega Red seems like such an obvious add-on here to keep the main event from coming about too quickly.

As for this issue, I wound up not buying it. After the preview, I lost my faith that anything remotely interesting would happen with the whole Kitty/Colossus thing, and it sounds like I was right. I suspect a lot of it is because Seeley was handed the most complete team and concept out of this event; it didn't sound like he had much room to maneuver here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yes, definitely. The conflict between Poccy and Nate should be revving up in one title, not spread out between two. It just drains the tension out of the whole thing and both books are obviously stalling because of it - Omega Red seems like such an obvious add-on here to keep the main event from coming about too quickly.

As for this issue, I wound up not buying it. After the preview, I lost my faith that anything remotely interesting would happen with the whole Kitty/Colossus thing, and it sounds like I was right. I suspect a lot of it is because Seeley was handed the most complete team and concept out of this event; it didn't sound like he had much room to maneuver here.
    yeah. not many things ar ehappening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I feel Marvelous should be merged with Nightcrawler which doesn’t need to exist. Next Gen and Prisoner X are the only 2 that feel like they can stand alone

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nightcrawler's conflict seems to personal to be fused into whatever's supposed to be happening in Marvelous tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I feel Marvelous should be merged with Nightcrawler which doesn’t need to exist. Next Gen and Prisoner X are the only 2 that feel like they can stand alone
    I'm liking Nightcrawler and X-Tremists precisely for the deliberate pacing. I get that for some it's too far a course correction from the "all plot, no character" lead-in we got with Disassembled, but I think I'm feeling more forgiving of it just because I know we're going to get more of Disassembled's ilk before very long, whereas character exploration is something all too lacking in the line these days, so I tend to enjoy it even when it's a bit flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    yeah. not many things ar ehappening here.
    I find the same thing with X-Force, the more I read I think the whole "quest to save Rachel Summers" is being dragged out to the end of the series because they actually can't launch any other stories after that. All of these comics, AoXM all series, Uncanny, and X-Force are being dragged out in a holding pattern till July where they all coalesce into HoX/PoX which may or may not be resetting the entire X-verse.

I think this is why the status quo in all the books feels like it is moving so slowly, they are just dragging the stories out until July. Like Uncanny, the next few issues are all going to be something to do with the HFC and it's going to be an ongoing thing till July. So it will be that the X-Men have no idea what the HFC is up to till the final issue, it will get dragged out to the end and we won't get a clear answer if Emma is their ally or enemy until the very last issue before the reset. It's the same with the attempt to save Rachel, she is either going to be saved and return to the present, stay in the future, be left as a villain under Stryfe's control, or die but it won't happen until the very end of the last issue of X-Force.

I feel like AoXM, Uncanny, and X-Force needed to keep the balls in the air long enough for Hickman to decide what direction he wanted to take, so the writers were all mandated to drag their stories out as long as possible to give Hickman until July to get ready to start the x-verse reset.

Finally, the tide feels like it turning in this event. The next set of issues I feel will determine if people like or truly hate this event. I think stuff will actually happen in the set of issues.