Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    it was wild and it's wild today looking back on it, he really holds a grudge against Marvel for the editorial mandates in his run. I liked his original concept which was just a general shake-up of the team, he wanted the comic to be true to its original intention (or his idea of it) , which was that the Fantastic Four were "real life" superheroes, so I guess he wanted "real life" growth in it. Marvel was getting in the way of his storylines, they had just axed his big Mantis arc in WCA which he had to move to FF, and he claimed it was the end of the house of ideas. with every bad decision on that book he blames Marvel, but part of me just doesn't completely buy it, it was just bad. the last round of issues where the main characters are in limbo just dreaming everything was ridiculous. I would have changed my name on the byline twice too
    I would have been fine with this run, if the whole She-Thing mess never happened.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Must admit, I am really not enjoying Slotts run at all.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I would have been fine with this run, if the whole She-Thing mess never happened.
    ya ever had pineapple thing juice
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Steve Englehart's run used to hold the top spot for my worst runs for years.
    But lately it has been surpassed.
    Most recently by Slotts.

I guess I'll stay away from Englehart's FF run. I'm kind of surprised, as I really like his Avengers, but seeing some scans of what he did to the Thing... ouch.
    I didn't expect to read so many negative comments about Slott's run. I think it's been incredibly bland and I don't agree with a lot of the directions he chose, but I wouldn't say it's the worst ever. I still hope he improves.

remember the part where she thing and pineapple thing make out
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    remember the part where she thing and pineapple thing make out
    I don't even want to think of the sounds that would make let alone seeing it.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Incredible Member

I'm somewhat confused at people picking Slott's run. I know some people didn't care for his Doom/Galactus story due to what they feel as a regression on Doom's character after his attempted redemption even though it was clearly implied he would be back to villainy again at the end of Infamous Iron Man (which we've all kind of retconned in our minds as a popular concept somehow.)

I didn't care for the end but to me the whole story felt like classic FF story and it's not like Doom's time as a hero was completely brushed aside. Surely the hatred can't be based just on that. Even if you disliked their return surely two story arcs isn't enough to dismiss the whole thing as the worst thing ever.

Anyway I'd probably have to jump on Englehart's run as my least favourite. I loathed Claremont's early issues but he clawed it back with the second half of his run, it still had the unbareable wordiness Claremont us known for but his concepts were sound and Lorocca's art was a huge plus.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Fantastic Four is at its worst right now
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.
    But...why?

Sincere question. I'm interested to know what makes makes the little stuff we've gotten so far the worst ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    ya ever had pineapple thing juice
    Agreed. When "Rocky" Grimm became "Spikey" Grimm, that made drawing the Thing extremely difficult. Those poor artists, I hope they got paid well.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    But...why?

Sincere question. I'm interested to know what makes makes the little stuff we've gotten so far the worst ever.
    Because it's current.

It can be properly judged in relation to other runs only some years after it's over.

BANNED

Thankfully I never read all of FF (so far) although I meant to do it many times. I do however remember disliking Simonson's run back in the day.

Honestly, FF #44-102 is such a high-water mark for any comic book ever, that there is bound to be some disappointment for readers when someone else tries to follow up on that. Only Byrne could do it and then more recently Hickman.

I agree on the concensus that Slott's run is bad. But then again, IMO Slott was never any good with Spider-Man, so why would he be good here?

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    But...why?

It all feels so poor in comparison to Hickman's push forward of the concept. Plus we've been without the FF for a long time! I was really fond of Fraction/Allred's FF and the Robinson/Bagely Fantastic Four, they at least attempted something new.

I'm not a fan of Slott's writing but even so, the current title tries nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. When "Rocky" Grimm became "Spikey" Grimm, that made drawing the Thing extremely difficult. Those poor artists, I hope they got paid well.
    Oh god spikey Grimm was frightening.