The quaking carried from the pinnacle of the chamber, and shook down to the arena. Colonel Willa Rautt dragged herself to her feet and both hands gripped Excalibur as she considered the words that passed between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
"I think you know the answer is simple: The is no other way to oppose him, other than to 'deal' with him. If force alone were sufficient, if your ideas about us weren't rooted in...."

He let the word drop, thinking better of it.

"Either way, if you were to think about how to win, and the nature of our enemy, as opposed to lashing out like a wounded animal you would at least consider allying with us until this business is concluded. You've opposed him longer than any of us, save perhaps Jinzi. You no doubt have an insight that we may lack, in that respect."

The crimson of the Shingan burned bright as Held turned his gaze fully upon the Colonel.

"We're on a tight schedule. Undo the effects of that blade and return it to Jack. From there, we can discuss terms, if you'd wish..."
"Discuss terms...? Ha-ha-" Willa's mocking laughter died in her throat. In the aftermath of the battle, lacerated flesh, bruised jaw and now fractured ribs, she held the Sword of the King, and yet its blade could lift no higher than an inch above the ground before falling its to rest over the stone.

"You don't know what he is...what he'll take from you, and make the world around you forget it! Tell me another one, Offworlder, before you think you can bargain with my cousin's life. I'd estimate you have about a minute or two."

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
"Well said, my friend," Blizzar complimented. "It's true that we share a common goal, the deposition of That Man. He presents not only a threat to your world but the universe at large. I'll be frank, you were right in assuming I cannot understand your feelings in regards to your devotion to your homeworld. I come from a planet rife with opportunists and would-be tyrants, not too dissimilar to your 'distinguished' president. Those on the lower rung of Arcosian society, such as myself, learned to live like vermin. to glance up at those in control with biting hatred and a desire to one day topple them from beneath as they looked down on us from their pompous magisterial palaces. But it was not so easy"

"If you were not nobility, in order to survive, you would need to learn to game the system. Play politics with cutthroats and slavers before our noble rivals did and make a smart play to grant them a more lucrative offer. I could not escape this, despite fleeing from my world at an early age. Old enemies and hatreds drove me back in some manner. Am I a good person, am I trustworthy? Assuredly not, in regards to the latter. But, all in all, when the scales are tipped in favor of those who grow gluttonous as they feast on power, I can't help but be filled with contempt. These organizations you despised, filled with 'Xenos' and non-humans are working with the most capable of your people to steer your planet back into the right hands."

"Uncouth as they may be, you can certainly trust them. They've bled for this planet just as much as you, if not more so," Blizzar folded his arms and sighed. "And if blood spilt for the same cause isn't common purpose enough, I'm not sure what is."
Though her words were venomous when she spoke to Held, when Blizzar spoke, she appeared to listen cautiously. Silence passed between both sides for a moment as the chamber shook, and the Leylines that coursed through the stone foundations grew alight. Sensing a familiar presence in the distance, Willa reared back, lips parted in a strange, sinister smile.

Excalibur's diamond tip set on the ground and dug into the stone, the Royal Sword reduced to a crude crutch as she struggled not to kneel.

"The last time I came within your lot, your man Jinzi threw us away to rot," she seethed. "Compared to watching the world go to shit, I'd rather die."

Suddenly, a certain dreadful presence filled the area. Much like the means they used to get here, from the earth itself the heirs of two of the Five Schools returned. Both Ochazuke and Kenshiko looked like they'd been through hell, but their comrade still bore the unmending wound bound beneath bloodied ropes. Yet despite their condition, a certain subtle power ebbed through them, as if sourced from the chamber itself.

"You found it, didn't you, Sergeant?"

Upon hearing Willa's voice, Ochazuke turned and fell on guard, while Kenshiko idly faced the path toward the Pinnacle, staring at her hand wistfully as if she'd let something slip from its grasp.

"...what...are you doing? Sergeant!" she barked, though the effort visibly shook her, "We've come this far! Your gambit paid off, now take them out!"

Kenshiko swept her hand over her face, parting the blood-slick auburn tresses as she regarded first Blizzar, and then Held with the one eye she had that wasn't swollen shut, which turned sideways to Willa behind her.

"...and then what, Colonel?"