Page 169 of 294 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 4408

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    She had been attempting to ignore Ochazuke's ruckus while the Acorian and that halfbreed idiot's paramour attended to him, but it seemed their efforts weren't entirely sufficient. Well, no matter... perhaps assisting would keep her mind focused on more pertinent matters.

Approaching the three, Nevanlinna focused her hearing and simply listened for a short while. Ochazuke's breathing seemed a bit... strained, labored, which helped confirm, inasmuch as it could be, what the man was trying to indicate. Namely, that there was some sort of lung injury. A simple matter to remedy.

"Allow me," said Nevanlinna. Kneeling down, she lightly placed her hands over, roughly, where the lung injury should be. Focusing, healing energies began flowing from her hands and into the martial artist, concentrated in the area of the injury. Normally, the healing process would be quite painful as everything popped back into its proper place, but, unbeknownst to Nevanlinna, Aleka's efforts had already pre-emptively mitigated at least part of that issue.

"This lot certainly finds itself in a state of disrepair after nearly every battle," she muttered, somewhat in jest. A small grin spread across her face "Perhaps I should start charging for my services?"
    With Nevanlinna's effort, Ochazuke slowly began to feel a measure of relief as at last his torso fell with a deep exhale. In conjunction with Karine's increase of ki flow through the shadow needles, the injuries soon ameliorated themselves. Eyes half-shut, dark pools glazed over, he soon settled where he lay.

Suddenly, his hand pushed from the inside, seizing Nevanlinna's forearm sharply. Even reduced to this state of helplessness, countless hours of training manifest; morewover, perhaps Aleka's soothing foundation on top of this caused him feel as if he had some momentary reserve of strength within his previously shattered flesh.

He applied a short twist, enough to mechanically, painlessly, crumple the bend of her elbow and drew her near. His voice was hoarse, faded for he only had just recovered his breath, and the grip of that previously shattered wrist weak. But the single word was spoken with a particular harshness.

"Auroc."

The name of the Threshling god passed from his lips, and soon Ochazuke faded into unconsciousness.

There would be little gained from this revivification of all too mortal flesh. No increased fortification or adaptive swell of power for their efforts. After all, the course for the people of the Earth was a fragile path rendered of scars and memories.

OOC: Decided to rewrite this one out of boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    “Charco is a friend of mine. Sadly, I think I failed him and....I fear he is gone now.”
    Shōchū visibly perked up upon hearing the first part of this statement; to think that her cousin knew the Kami! However, her excitement did not last long as Eva continued on and even her partial cybernetic nature could not suppress the look of despair that came across her face. She had hoped her cousin had been spared in this timeline so she could save him as he had saved her all those years ago.

She had hoped that she could only have to kill one Charco.

Her expression returned to the neutral look common among the machine mutants, pushing aside her organic emotions for the time being. There was much more at stake now than how she felt.

"Do not blame yourself, Miss Eva, " She began, "If there is anyone to blame for this, then it is the Beast himself."

Despite this, her hands tightly gripped the long and narrow clothed-covered bundle she held. No longer would she idly watch in terror as others died to the wicked tyrant. There would no other faces haunting her nightmares, not after Zaofan.

"For the sake of all living things, I will purge Rex from this timeline, so it does not end up like mine."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It's been a while since Meagan thought about Fife and the parasite within him, and about Sakin. She was reminded of something that Eva had discussed with her shortly after she became a Guardian.

"I had discussed this very question with Lady Evangeline not long after I took on the mantle of Guardian. Sakin is still out there, but there has been no sign of him or his parasites since we defeated Fife. Eva believes that he is laying low, hiding for some reason. His parasites are likely being held back, contained by him so as not to give away his location. He is still a threat, but for now he's not making any moves. One of the first warnings I passed out to the Guardians I made contact with was about him.

From what I understand, he acts more like a spider than a wasp. He lures his targets to him, instead of going for a direct attack. That doesn't mean he might not try it in the future."
    "Not as reassuring as it should be." Whatever he was hiding from was holding him back for the time being, but if he had a purpose for using these parasites, he would be making his move eventually. Even though she was safe for the time being, Maiz decided to stay vigilant. She wouldn't dare assume she could fly under his radar. "I'd suggest you remain vigilant, even if he's inactive," she said, folding her arms. "Eventually, whatever purpose he has will need to come to fruition. Then, he'll act. My predecessor, Ceriac, fell victim to him. The same can't happen to me."

There wasn't much more she could say without more insight into what it was that Sakin wanted or how he operated. "About this Guardian link you mentioned, it sounds like a good idea. How many other guardians would be connected? Is it telepathic? And can it be used against us?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    "Not as reassuring as it should be." Whatever he was hiding from was holding him back for the time being, but if he had a purpose for using these parasites, he would be making his move eventually. Even though she was safe for the time being, Maiz decided to stay vigilant. She wouldn't dare assume she could fly under his radar. "I'd suggest you remain vigilant, even if he's inactive," she said, folding her arms. "Eventually, whatever purpose he has will need to come to fruition. Then, he'll act. My predecessor, Ceriac, fell victim to him. The same can't happen to me."

There wasn't much more she could say without more insight into what it was that Sakin wanted or how he operated. "About this Guardian link you mentioned, it sounds like a good idea. How many other guardians would be connected? Is it telepathic? And can it be used against us?"
    Meagan silently agreed that Sakin was someone to stay vigilant against. It was unclear if he had anything to do with Iris' demise, but she had seen with her own eyes the evil he could bring about.

"For now it is only partly telepathic, the other part is technological. Even among Guardians, none are strong enough psychics to reach out over vast distances that separate us. However, I am in contact with others who are, as well as working with those who are developing more powerful communications technology. For now, I am acting as a nexus for the Network.

As for the risks, that is something I am working on minimizing as well. Currently I have reached out to 52 Guardians, including yourself. For now, I am the only one who knows the location and identity of each of these Guardians, and this information I guard jealously. It would be nice if we could freely talk with each other at will, without fear. Perhaps someday that can be arranged. Until then, the information is locked away safely here at the temple here on Chroma." She frowned slightly as she spoke, this was indeed one problem with her network, one whose solution continued to elude her.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Meagan silently agreed that Sakin was someone to stay vigilant against. It was unclear if he had anything to do with Iris' demise, but she had seen with her own eyes the evil he could bring about.

"For now it is only partly telepathic, the other part is technological. Even among Guardians, none are strong enough psychics to reach out over vast distances that separate us. However, I am in contact with others who are, as well as working with those who are developing more powerful communications technology. For now, I am acting as a nexus for the Network.

As for the risks, that is something I am working on minimizing as well. Currently I have reached out to 52 Guardians, including yourself. For now, I am the only one who knows the location and identity of each of these Guardians, and this information I guard jealously. It would be nice if we could freely talk with each other at will, without fear. Perhaps someday that can be arranged. Until then, the information is locked away safely here at the temple here on Chroma." She frowned slightly as she spoke, this was indeed one problem with her network, one whose solution continued to elude her.
    Maiz narrowed her eyes. "I'll be honest, this doesn't sit well with me." Perhaps she was being unfairly paranoid, but in her long-life she had learned one of many things: if something didn't smell right, it was no good. Worked for food, bullshit, and this was no different. She could appreciate what Meagan was trying to do -- attempt to keep all available Guardians in the loop. It was a fair and right cause, one that would benefit all of them under the best of conditions.

Yet, the best of conditions was fleeting. There were too many ways this could go wrong for her to involve herself. At least at the moment. "I won't be able to visit Chroma any time soon. As soon as Sarada returns, we have a lot of work to do here on Vocado and Callion. But, I need you to send me that information you've amassed."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Maiz narrowed her eyes. "I'll be honest, this doesn't sit well with me." Perhaps she was being unfairly paranoid, but in her long-life she had learned one of many things: if something didn't smell right, it was no good. Worked for food, bullshit, and this was no different. She could appreciate what Meagan was trying to do -- attempt to keep all available Guardians in the loop. It was a fair and right cause, one that would benefit all of them under the best of conditions.

Yet, the best of conditions was fleeting. There were too many ways this could go wrong for her to involve herself. At least at the moment. "I won't be able to visit Chroma any time soon. As soon as Sarada returns, we have a lot of work to do here on Vocado and Callion. But, I need you to send me that information you've amassed."
    "I can send you information on the technology and other means of communication being used and in development. Any assistance in perfecting the system would be welcome.

However, with all due respect, one thing that I can't send you is the information I have compiled on the Guardians in the network. There is only one copy, a hand written ledger that I keep secure in a vault in the temple when I am not using it. Too many Guardians have died already, I have seen worlds which once had Guardians but no longer do and the knowledge of them fading away.

Few even know of the ledger's existence. Lady Evangeline, my husband Jinzi Pantaloon, and now yourself. I am making plans to share this information with my Apprentices, when they are ready, but that is the extent of it."

While walking around the Coldlight Althena sends out a telepathic message to the others on board. ( If any of you onboard are injured let me know. I can heal your injuries,) Althena said telepathically.

Due to practice, Althena's telepathy has gotten better. There's still a little bit of static, but her telepathic signal has improved from the static mess it was before.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    OOC: Decided to rewrite this one out of boredom.

Shōchū visibly perked up upon hearing the first part of this statement; to think that her cousin knew the Kami! However, her excitement did not last long as Eva continued on and even her partial cybernetic nature could not suppress the look of despair that came across her face. She had hoped her cousin had been spared in this timeline so she could save him as he had saved her all those years ago.

She had hoped that she could only have to kill one Charco.

Her expression returned to the neutral look common among the machine mutants, pushing aside her organic emotions for the time being. There was much more at stake now than how she felt.

"Do not blame yourself, Miss Eva, " She began, "If there is anyone to blame for this, then it is the Beast himself."

Despite this, her hands tightly gripped the long and narrow clothed-covered bundle she held. No longer would she idly watch in terror as others died to the wicked tyrant. There would no other faces haunting her nightmares, not after Zaofan.

"For the sake of all living things, I will purge Rex from this timeline, so it does not end up like mine."
    Eva shakes her head.

“I am a Guardian, and Charco is a dear friend. Of course I blame myself. But that is neither here or there. You were sent back to stop Rex, exactly by what means?”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Slowly, slowly, shaking off the shock of Charco’s...new form and whatever Azura was to him now, No so started on repairs. With Nevalinna and Praxat’s help, P-Sta and Held piloting and navigating, the trip manage repairs to a rather remarkable degree.

It takes about a solid day, but eventually, tired and sweaty and with char marks on his clothes from a few too many circuit fires as he repaired damaged conduits, Jinzi comms everyone.

“Okay folks, good news. The Coldlight is as repaired as we can get it without a dockyard. Engines and hull are at full strength, so we should be set for our return voyage. Just in case I would suggest people stay in either the bunk quarters or strapped to their flight chairs. Held, P-Sta, set course for Earth, please.”

He staggers down, sits in a chair, and pulls out two stem patches. Sighing, he slaps them on either side of his neck and grunts as they take effect, his eyes clearing and tiredness fading for now.

“So what’s our next move? What do we do now? Sakin is hiding, Auroc is hiding, and neither can be found as far as we know.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Slowly, slowly, shaking off the shock of Charco’s...new form and whatever Azura was to him now, No so started on repairs. With Nevalinna and Praxat’s help, P-Sta and Held piloting and navigating, the trip manage repairs to a rather remarkable degree.

It takes about a solid day, but eventually, tired and sweaty and with char marks on his clothes from a few too many circuit fires as he repaired damaged conduits, Jinzi comms everyone.

“Okay folks, good news. The Coldlight is as repaired as we can get it without a dockyard. Engines and hull are at full strength, so we should be set for our return voyage. Just in case I would suggest people stay in either the bunk quarters or strapped to their flight chairs. Held, P-Sta, set course for Earth, please.”

He staggers down, sits in a chair, and pulls out two stem patches. Sighing, he slaps them on either side of his neck and grunts as they take effect, his eyes clearing and tiredness fading for now.

“So what’s our next move? What do we do now? Sakin is hiding, Auroc is hiding, and neither can be found as far as we know.”
    During the repairs, Dash stayed at the scanner console, scanning the ship and the space around the ship. She knew that, if she didn't keep her mind distracted, she'd burn herself out thinking too much about things she wasn't ready for.

Hearing Jinzi's voice on the Comm, Dash replied, "Ah hope you ain't suggesting we do somethin other than return home. Ah doubt this ship is up to a directionless jaunt through space."

During the repairs, Dash stayed at the scanner console, scanning the ship and the space around the ship. She knew that, if she didn't keep her mind distracted, she'd burn herself out thinking too much about things she wasn't ready for.

Hearing Jinzi's voice on the Comm, Dash replied, "Ah hope you ain't suggesting we do somethin other than return home. Ah doubt this ship is up to a directionless jaunt through space."
    He shakes his head.

“No, nothing like that. But they will eventually need to be addressed, weather weeks or months or years down the road.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

"I can send you information on the technology and other means of communication being used and in development. Any assistance in perfecting the system would be welcome.

However, with all due respect, one thing that I can't send you is the information I have compiled on the Guardians in the network. There is only one copy, a hand written ledger that I keep secure in a vault in the temple when I am not using it. Too many Guardians have died already, I have seen worlds which once had Guardians but no longer do and the knowledge of them fading away.

Few even know of the ledger's existence. Lady Evangeline, my husband Jinzi Pantaloon, and now yourself. I am making plans to share this information with my Apprentices, when they are ready, but that is the extent of it."
    That kind of information couldn't get out to anyone, that much Maiz could agree on. But, she had to question the logic of keeping so much localized in one place. Not only did Meagan have the information of the other participating Guardians in this mind-link thing, but she was the nexus for the link. If she was corrupted or otherwise was incapacitated, it would have far-reaching ramifications.

"I don't like so much being localized in one place," she stated bluntly. "If something happens to you, then what? What's the backup for the link nexus and will your apprentices be prepared to ensure the guardian information stays secure?"

That was, of course, assuming something hadn't happened to Meagan already. Maiz only had the girl's word to go by, and no one else's. According to Sarada, Evangeline thought that Fife was his normal self gone evil until they killed him and discovered the parasite. She didn't know Meagan well enough to determine whether or not she had been infected.

I could just be paranoid, she admitted quietly. Paranoia was an excellent tool when used right. It kept a person alive for a very long time.

Beyond that, this entire deal seemed ripe for exploitation. "What about fail-safes? How do you know this can't be exploited before these kinks are worked out? I'm not joining anything until I get some serious reassurances. Especially since you expect me to connect my mind with complete strangers."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

That kind of information couldn't get out to anyone, that much Maiz could agree on. But, she had to question the logic of keeping so much localized in one place. Not only did Meagan have the information of the other participating Guardians in this mind-link thing, but she was the nexus for the link. If she was corrupted or otherwise was incapacitated, it would have far-reaching ramifications.

"I don't like so much being localized in one place," she stated bluntly. "If something happens to you, then what? What's the backup for the link nexus and will your apprentices be prepared to ensure the guardian information stays secure?"

That was, of course, assuming something hadn't happened to Meagan already. Maiz only had the girl's word to go by, and no one else's. According to Sarada, Evangeline thought that Fife was his normal self gone evil until they killed him and discovered the parasite. She didn't know Meagan well enough to determine whether or not she had been infected.

I could just be paranoid, she admitted quietly. Paranoia was an excellent tool when used right. It kept a person alive for a very long time.

Beyond that, this entire deal seemed ripe for exploitation. "What about fail-safes? How do you know this can't be exploited before these kinks are worked out? I'm not joining anything until I get some serious reassurances. Especially since you expect me to connect my mind with complete strangers."
    "There is one misconception I need to clear up first. The Guardian Network isn't a 'shared mind', it's more like a private network. A dedicated line to other Guardians. No one can use it to access your thoughts beyond normal communications. No one except a Guardian should be able to access it.

The way the system is set up, currently, is that each Guardian can gain access it through the creational energy we each received upon becoming Guardians, that an a second unique identifier. For those who need a technological assist, they can choose to use a retina scan, a finger print, a pass-code. For those who chose to use the direct, psychic link, you would still need an identifier, your name spoken in your own voice for example, before any other Guardian will respond. More fail-safes are being developed."

Meagan then thought on her main concern, "I agree, this information should be shared. My main worry is what happens if a guardian is corrupted, like Fife was by Sakin. If Sakin gets his hands on this list, he might have a road map to all 52 known Guardians. You have far more worldly experience than I do, if you can offer some suggestions on how to resolve this, I would welcome it. Perhaps it would be enough to share all information except the actual coordinates of their home wolds." her voice held a hint of uncertainty.

"On my end, I do have my Apprentices. I am preparing them to take over for me should something happen. They are my fail-safe."

OOC: Combining with another post.
    Last edited by Yun Lao; 09-19-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    With Nevanlinna's effort, Ochazuke slowly began to feel a measure of relief as at last his torso fell with a deep exhale. In conjunction with Karine's increase of ki flow through the shadow needles, the injuries soon ameliorated themselves. Eyes half-shut, dark pools glazed over, he soon settled where he lay.

Suddenly, his hand pushed from the inside, seizing Nevanlinna's forearm sharply. Even reduced to this state of helplessness, countless hours of training manifest; morewover, perhaps Aleka's soothing foundation on top of this caused him feel as if he had some momentary reserve of strength within his previously shattered flesh.

He applied a short twist, enough to mechanically, painlessly, crumple the bend of her elbow and drew her near. His voice was hoarse, faded for he only had just recovered his breath, and the grip of that previously shattered wrist weak. But the single word was spoken with a particular harshness.

"Auroc."

The name of the Threshling god passed from his lips, and soon Ochazuke faded into unconsciousness.

There would be little gained from this revivification of all too mortal flesh. No increased fortification or adaptive swell of power for their efforts. After all, the course for the people of the Earth was a fragile path rendered of scars and memories.
    "............"

Karine wasn't sure what exactly what was going on, though given what had happened he was obviously trying to tell Neva something. She heard a bit about them, but not as much since had been more or less absent for a decent chunk of things. "He seems all right now, just needs to rest. I wonder if he meant they're nearby." Was it something else to worry about?

The older woman shook her head a bit. "I think maybe he meant a idea, if not for sure who might be behind the remote self destruct. Someone had to do it and the had to have a reason but I don't know much of anything about that name to say anything else. I'll take the big guy to his room to rest. its been a **** day all around."

"Go ahead. Just be careful." Karine didn't need to tell Aleka more, she had a good enough head on her shoulders to know what was what. As she left to take them to a room to rest, she turned to the young princess. "I know the name he spoke, but you're more familiar with him. You didn't sense anything that seemed like their handy work did you?"

And..we still have to deal with that..creature.

Just because she was acting calm didn't meant she had forgotten. The only reason she hadn't attacked them, along with Totoma and others is the threat to their survival in doing so.

___

Aleka found a room to lay Ochazuke to rest in, if he had been up she suspected that he probably not like being carried around by a beautiful woman or not. She couldn't say for sure, but it was the impression she had gotten from them. There was nothing more to it then making sure their health and well being was taken care of at the moment. From personal experience, the physical damage may heal, however from experience the possible emotional and mental damage would probably take much long longer if at all. Aleka didn't think it would hold them down, but having some effect on how he went about his affairs was possible.

I just wonder what exactly happened to Charco's soul. Dying is one thing, but is what makes him, him still around?

With Rex it was something she didn't want to think too much about the poor young's man fate.

Pushing the unpleasant thoughts aside, Aleka gently laid them down knowing he was still injured before going to leave before stopping herself. She wasn't entirely sure how through Neva and Karine's healing was, but with herself there could be after effects. It wouldn't do to save the man and have him die because he wasn't breathing properly and needed to be moved aside after turning in his sleep; lung injures were a nasty tricky business.

She found a seat in the corner after pulling out a worn pocket book and began to read. She'd get some sleep in a hour or so once she thought there was no side effects to worry about.