Page 286 of 294 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 4408
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    To Held's query, the Golem's stony frame seemed to stir from its stillness. One of Damask's great hands seized upon a patch of ground, his broad fingers effortlessly carving trenches into the rock.

"The Leylines carry the soul of the world. They are more than a mere road, for they hold many whispers. Life, moving in flux through its passage, speaks through them, and carry an impression of its energy through it. Everything the Earth is, all that had risen and walked upon its surface before returning to it, is entrenched in its living memory."
    "So...This litterally is the energy of this world." Held replied in awe, realizing just how transcendent the nature of this power was, "I was going to consider it an analogue of ki or magical energies, but it seems as far removed from that as Reptillia Scotch is from Nevadian Ale..."

It's like an endless cycle of energy....It's fascinating....

Ochazuke recognized this immediately.

"The Genius Loci. A good portion of Zxu'ro's legacy arts draw from this power. Beyond these techniques, I hadn't realized the extent of the connection until now."

It seems Zxu'ro was not the only one. Did you discover it as well, Arthur?

"In the course of my training with Zaofan and Master Balon, we've found many memories of the ancient past. The Ten Schools of Zxu'ro are tied intrinsically with the history of this world. The Guardians of the Five Shrines were more than words on a page or a phantom echo, their spirits lingered on in a corporeal form, desperately waiting to be heard by-" he paused with some reticence, "the worthy."

What that meant exactly seemed to become increasingly evasive. For now, they had a goal to accomplish.
    "Well...I guess that what explain what the concern is." Held replied, frowning slightly, as he worked his way through the explanations given by both man and Golem, "If this energy is the amalgamation of all that's ever lived and died on this planet, slowly compounding over time...."

He considered something, before giving up with a sigh.

"I don't even know how to measure power on that scale...Even the minuscule bit of power would be immense if you give it enough time to gather strength."

That explains Ochazuke's worry, and Kenshiko's ambition...Good Grief. He's absolutely right, there's no way this couldn't be anything but problematic.

"What we're looking for is similar to what Zaofan...and Sasheem had found on the other side of the world. It may seem like something insignificant, at first. A relic, a wall, crudely engraved with Ten Animal Seals. This is to conceal a chamber door, behind which is part of the Master's living legacy. It's sensitive to a ki signature trained in the methods of the Ten."

They'd gone silent shortly after he'd opened it, which meant there was something essential there. This counterpart in Charlie Base having been indicated by a chosen Guardian of the Ten Schools, however...

"The last remnants of the Five Schools of the Hidden Hand are like the individual elements of the original art, and their strength is formidable. Imagine then, Five fingers combined to a completed Fist...even if turned against the World Government, I shudder to think what would happen to the planet."
    "I see..." His brow furrowed in thought, "So we're here to steal the thumb so the punch can't get the job done."

So...The arts splintered off? Or were separated purposely? I vaguely recall Zao mentioning something about different schools, but I don't recall him putting it like that...

"I see....Hidden in plain sight, huh?" Held replied with an amused smile, "Well, I guess you really did chose the right men for the job. Legacy is another word for treasure where I come from, and if there's one thing I know, it's how to find booty."

He paused.

"Did I use that right? I understand that on this planet the context changes depending on--Nevermind. We find treasure good."

BGM - Ruins Dungeon

The decision was made, and the four concealed within Damask's sealed frame, their ki signatures muted by Jack's magic, moved to infiltrate the base. Upon finding their seat inside of the Golem, the sensation within was strange. Cloistered in this inner space they shared much of the Golem's sensory intake, but it was strangely distant and ethereal; a sort of remote numbness, sensation at a remove without feeling. Though they could not physically see what Damask did, fleeting sensation did come in the darkness, the flickering images that passed his ancient eyes like heady, phantom impressions split through a lens, and with it an acute, tactile awareness of what tread upon the ground like a strange sort of radar.

"Impressive," Ochazuke noted, "Damask has some means for us to perceive the world outside as we travel within him."

Passage.

Just as they Leyline beneath the Golem's feet shifted the earth, the singular word shook through a collective reverb within his body, and fell through each of the travelers. Cold, mechanical, with a singular driven intention.

"I thought the command," Jack remarked, "and he responded."

The stony Ancient's thoughts were given over to his direct goal, and yet as they sunk beneath the Earth, the memory of the place swept through him in a similar manner. Fragmented images of a civilization long lost bled together with an ephemeral present, filled with stomping boots and war treads and engines.

Ochazuke glanced upward as they passed into that slipstream once again, looking at something overhead. "That would be the base. Some sort of makeshift airfield in the hollow of a cave system, perhaps."

With the speed at which they moved, it was difficult to ascertain just how well replenished the Raider Forces were. Whatever the case, they'd soon bypassed them entirely, and in an instant Damask arrived within the King's Grove.

Deep in the heart of the stone hill, a prominent subterranean hollow lingered. A single shaft of light fell from far above, its illumination broadening by the silent fall of stalactite droplets. Hanging there, weathered by the erosion of eons they seemed to cluster themselves in a ragged line drawn down the body of the stone.

It was as if something had split the mountain and left a jagged scar there that had festered.

Home. A curious wash emotion fell over the Golem's thoughts as he tread over the terrain. The unblemished strata from where he had emerged gave way to something unexpected in a place like this. Blue-green lichens, and a small meadow fluorished by the scant light, fed from the vapours of the collected spring-pools that spread over ancient stone-masonry where they burrowed their roots.

The remains of civilization shattered now blended into the envorons. Pillar-bases arranged in rows and semicircles slowly crumbled under the creep of some strange ivy. Nothing seemed to grow greater than a mossy furnishing or wild grasses, save for a single, withered black tree spreading its spidery limbs like a perpetual shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    Blizzar widened his eyes at the sight. Vastly more scenic than he expected, it was like a world unto it's own. "It is quite a sight," he commented quietly, assessing the area. "I can't imagine what it looked like before..." he commented.

"I'm certain once all this is over, something could be done to keep this all preserved," he added. For a price, of course. Such things are never free. Luckily for this little slice of Earth, Blizzar had some contacts. An aquaintence of a distant cousin twice removed's best friend who happened to know a guy. ...Though, from his research, he wasn't entirely unsure that that guy wasn't just Held.

"So we see all that's visible, but the unseen yet surrounds us," the Arcosian turned to Ochazuke and Held. "Do either of you detect anything that'll give us a head start?"
    "Hm?" The Nevadian responded, almost belatedly to his companion, as he looked upon the ruins of what was no doubt beautiful and mighty, only holding the barest hints of the splendor it once held, although even that small fragment was immense in its glory to the eyes of one who knew what lay before them.

As such, it was fascinating, his attention rapt, before plunked away by more immediate concerns.

"Right, Right." Held mumbled in agreement as the white and black of his eyes were overcome with the red of the Shingan. "Let's see what we've got..."
    Last edited by Miburo; 05-15-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Lady Binder smiles broadly and bows.

“Oh me, oh my, what a compliment! My thanks, Lady Inanna! It’s truly an honor to meet you!”

Banespell meanwhile looks at the jewel and pockets it carefully.

“An excellent find, mi’lady. This component will do wonders. A Loadstone of such potential......I owe the Gallows Lord it seems.”

Binder laughs, the sound like tinkling bells.

“You know he doesn’t like that nick-name! So grim!”

Banespell winces and nods.

“Right, right. I forget sometimes.”
    Inanna blinked.

"Lord of Death, Lady of Binding... Lord Forger. You've been far busier than you let on." Her demeanor shifted slightly, and the golden-eyed woman tilted her head.

"Interesting."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Inanna blinked.

"Lord of Death, Lady of Binding... Lord Forger. You've been far busier than you let on." Her demeanor shifted slightly, and the golden-eyed woman tilted her head.

"Interesting."
    Banespell recovers quickly.

“Forgive us, but Lady Binder’s race is.....they believe names have certain power. While she works with me, we try to use titles or descriptive terms. It is easier that way.”

Binder nods enthusiastically.

“Oaths are spoken with ones true name, we hold great Magic’s with Oaths and Curses, my people. For his sake, I try to use Titles or nick names. Like Old Wolf! He always growls when I call him that. So much better than Gallows Lord. Gah, so grim!”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Banespell recovers quickly.

“Forgive us, but Lady Binder’s race is.....they believe names have certain power. While she works with me, we try to use titles or descriptive terms. It is easier that way.”

Binder nods enthusiastically.

“Oaths are spoken with ones true name, we hold great Magic’s with Oaths and Curses, my people. For his sake, I try to use Titles or nick names. Like Old Wolf! He always growls when I call him that. So much better than Gallows Lord. Gah, so grim!”
    "Ah." Inanna said simply eyeing the fairy in new light.

Oath and Curse Magic. Not simply a binder of artifacts. It was certainly interesting- if not concerning- and spoke to perhaps, the meaning behind their difference of methods.

"A Gallows Lord? Not simply some charnel harbinger..." Inanna then muttered. "You said our methods differed, Forger; and yet you've enlisted the aid of Death's Hand."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

"Ah." Inanna said simply eyeing the fairy in new light.

Oath and Curse Magic. Not simply a binder of artifacts. It was certainly interesting- if not concerning- and spoke to perhaps, the meaning behind their difference of methods.

"A Gallows Lord? Not simply some charnel harbinger..." Inanna then muttered. "You said our methods differed, Forger; and yet you've enlisted the aid of Death's Hand."
    Banespell pauses, then looks at her, golden eyes gleaming. When he speaks, his tone is slightly...darker than before. Colder.

“I mean to see the abomination trapped or dead. The Gallows Lord is an assurance should my work fail. That’s all.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Banespell pauses, then looks at her, golden eyes gleaming. When he speaks, his tone is slightly...darker than before. Colder.

“I mean to see the abomination trapped or dead. The Gallows Lord is an assurance should my work fail. That’s all.”
    "Then how do our methods differ?" Inanna asked, with an eyebrow raised. Only to realize that she was perhaps, foolish to assume the benevolence of the former Palatine.

"Unlike the other Palatine you've grown cold, despite the heat of your Forge. Not simply in it for the benefit of the Universes, anymore, are you?"

Oh my. How curious.

"Which means... Our methods don't differ. They couldn't. We seek the same end." Inanna realized, eyes widening slightly.

"Our goals do."

Arx Inosaan

"Then how do our methods differ?" Inanna asked, with an eyebrow raised. Only to realize that she was perhaps, foolish to assume the benevolence of the former Palatine.

"Unlike the other Palatine you've grown cold, despite the heat of your Forge. Not simply in it for the benefit of the Universes, anymore, are you?"

Oh my. How curious.

"Which means... Our methods don't differ. They couldn't. We seek the same end." Inanna realized, eyes widening slightly.

"Our goals do."
    Banespell looks at her, head cocked slightly, hard demeanor still in play.

“Perhaps I misspoke. By methods I don’t mean to interrogate or question the abomination as I think you would, nor bargain with it. I want it gone, and yes, it is for the benefit of the universe. Such a thing should not exist, and can only bring harm here.”

He sighs and sits down in a chair, Binder fluttering to sit stand on his shoulder.

“I have grown colder. I am less prone to bouts of heroism and honor. I don’t intend on battling this abomination face to face: I mean to strike from behind, from far away. Cowardly, perhaps, but practical. Your curiosity is your bane, Goddess. I can read it in you. It will lead you to your doom.”

“As for the Gallows Lord......an ace in the hole for if more direct methods are required.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Banespell looks at her, head cocked slightly, hard demeanor still in play.

“Perhaps I misspoke. By methods I don’t mean to interrogate or question the abomination as I think you would, nor bargain with it. I want it gone, and yes, it is for the benefit of the universe. Such a thing should not exist, and can only bring harm here.”

He sighs and sits down in a chair, Binder fluttering to sit stand on his shoulder.

“I have grown colder. I am less prone to bouts of heroism and honor. I don’t intend on battling this abomination face to face: I mean to strike from behind, from far away. Cowardly, perhaps, but practical. Your curiosity is your bane, Goddess. I can read it in you. It will lead you to your doom.”

“As for the Gallows Lord......an ace in the hole for if more direct methods are required.
    "Oh." Was all Inanna said, for a long moment. Before the sound of laughter filled the Forge; and only when it petered out did the golden-eyed woman elaborate on it's meaning.

"Look downright foolish, and naive at times don't I? An immutable aspect of all Oni; their curiosity." Inanna said, wiping tears from her golden eyes.

"Yet you said it yourself... Not an Oni. No, no." The smile quickly lessened to a smirk.

"I told you. Purified." No sense lying now. No wool to worry over, no sheep. "A front. Security blanket... I am curious because I need to be. Nothing more. The Universe is far too dangerous, for the Ishtar that once was."

A pity. She was cute... Unitl the truth of this place drove her mad. Killed her.

Arx Inosaan

"Oh." Was all Inanna said, for a long moment. Before the sound of laughter filled the Forge; and only when it petered out did the golden-eyed woman elaborate on it's meaning.

"Look downright foolish, and naive at times don't I? An immutable aspect of all Oni; their curiosity." Inanna said, wiping tears from her golden eyes.

"Yet you said it yourself... Not an Oni. No, no." The smile quickly lessened to a smirk.

"I told you. Purified." No sense lying now. No wool to worry over, no sheep. "A front. Security blanket... I am curious because I need to be. Nothing more. The Universe is far too dangerous, for the Ishtar that once was."

A pity. She was cute... Unitl the truth of this place drove her mad. Killed her.
    Banespell nods.

“Then you learned as I did. Perhaps we can work together to stop this abomination.”

Binder says something in a melodic language Inanna doesn’t understand, and Banespell nods, chagrinned.

“Alas I have work, Goddesss, that needs attending. My Sigil against Eldfen and my works against the Abomination need more tinkering. Perhaps we can talk at another time?”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Banespell nods.

“Then you learned as I did. Perhaps we can work together to stop this abomination.”

Binder says something in a melodic language Inanna doesn’t understand, and Banespell nods, chagrinned.

“Alas I have work, Goddesss, that needs attending. My Sigil against Eldfen and my works against the Abomination need more tinkering. Perhaps we can talk at another time?”
    Inanna's smile returns.

"A life of imprisonment taught me all about biding my time. No sense wasting the advantage of one's own perception until the last possible minute."

The golden-eyed woman made a note of the language- and again of the Binder- before nodding.

"I'll be back around, surely."

Arx Inosaan

Inanna's smile returns.

"A life of imprisonment taught me all about biding my time. No sense wasting the advantage of one's own perception until the last possible minute."

The golden-eyed woman made a note of the language- and again of the Binder- before nodding.

"I'll be back around, surely."
    He nods and leads her back up, then escorts her back out into the perpetual twilight of Darkle.

“Safe travels, Goddess.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

He nods and leads her back up, then escorts her back out into the perpetual twilight of Darkle.

“Safe travels, Goddess.”
    Inanna waves, and begins to shimmer. "See you around, Lord Forger."

This venture- and the chance to stretch her legs within this new form- had given her a considerable amount to think about. This changed Darkling, and his seeming Cabal of like-minded... the mysteries of True Magic; and of the Abomination... 'Genesis, or something worse?' Though as she she walked, having decided to wander the numberless stars above in favor of simply returning to Vocado, Earth, or anywhere familiar; there was something that caught her eye.

A far off ball of mud, and suffering... one that whispered to her softly.

"Destroyer..."

Arx Inosaan

Default Rising from Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    "So...This litterally is the energy of this world." Held replied in awe, realizing just how transcendent the nature of this power was, "I was going to consider it an analogue of ki or magical energies, but it seems as far removed from that as Reptillia Scotch is from Nevadian Ale..."

It's like an endless cycle of energy....It's fascinating....

"Well...I guess that what explain what the concern is." Held replied, frowning slightly, as he worked his way through the explanations given by both man and Golem, "If this energy is the amalgamation of all that's ever lived and died on this planet, slowly compounding over time...."

He considered something, before giving up with a sigh.

"I don't even know how to measure power on that scale...Even the minuscule bit of power would be immense if you give it enough time to gather strength."

That explains Ochazuke's worry, and Kenshiko's ambition...Good Grief. He's absolutely right, there's no way this couldn't be anything but problematic.

"I see..." His brow furrowed in thought, "So we're here to steal the thumb so the punch can't get the job done."

So...The arts splintered off? Or were separated purposely? I vaguely recall Zao mentioning something about different schools, but I don't recall him putting it like that...

"I see....Hidden in plain sight, huh?" Held replied with an amused smile, "Well, I guess you really did chose the right men for the job. Legacy is another word for treasure where I come from, and if there's one thing I know, it's how to find booty."

He paused.

"Did I use that right? I understand that on this planet the context changes depending on--Nevermind. We find treasure good."

"Hm?" The Nevadian responded, almost belatedly to his companion, as he looked upon the ruins of what was no doubt beautiful and mighty, only holding the barest hints of the splendor it once held, although even that small fragment was immense in its glory to the eyes of one who knew what lay before them.

As such, it was fascinating, his attention rapt, before plunked away by more immediate concerns.

"Right, Right." Held mumbled in agreement as the white and black of his eyes were overcome with the red of the Shingan. "Let's see what we've got..."
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    Blizzar widened his eyes at the sight. Vastly more scenic than he expected, it was like a world unto it's own. "It is quite a sight," he commented quietly, assessing the area. "I can't imagine what it looked like before..." he commented.

"I'm certain once all this is over, something could be done to keep this all preserved," he added. For a price, of course. Such things are never free. Luckily for this little slice of Earth, Blizzar had some contacts. An aquaintence of a distant cousin twice removed's best friend who happened to know a guy. ...Though, from his research, he wasn't entirely unsure that that guy wasn't just Held.

"So we see all that's visible, but the unseen yet surrounds us," the Arcosian turned to Ochazuke and Held. "Do either of you detect anything that'll give us a head start?"
    The crystalline veinwork below them reached deeper into the ground. Ochazuke felt it where his senses brushed against the physical structure that fed into the source, but Held's Shingan, eyes keenly trained for the needs of etching summoner's runes , had a finer read on the details.

It was a strange impression. The metaphysical energies rendered with a rush of intensity, almost as if his eyes had adjusted for night thrust before being turned toward the open the sun, yet somehow in totality the vision was somehow without harshness, warm and inviting a lingering gaze.

A subtle thing like quicksilver pushing through the ground, connected to the vital presence inherent in the Leylines and the life-energy of those who tread near carrying the pulse of ki where Damask set foot upon rock and turf nearby like captured light. Tangled beneath the obelisk tree were hidden veins of these resonant crystals, the roots beneath the withered thing were intertwined with these luminous deposits. Once it had drawn its sustenance and light from these, reaching its heights in the darkness, but now thought it yet lived, it lingered to no avail.

Surrounding the tree were the remains of thirteen stone effigies, and where they were not otherwise crumbling under moss the pearl-white stone were exposed from where they had been gouged. The tallest at the centre had been cut diagonally downward from the shoulder, and no head - much less any face - remained. Something had befallen this place. The roots ran deep and clutched their foundations; smothered by the past malady, it would never bloom again, ancient branches were suspended in the airs of another age.

The vital source illuminate fed deeper into the strata, and reached into the structure fathoms below Charlie Base. They were not merely some resonant substance, but the mortar that held together a great city buried further underground.

"Hrrmh," Ochazuke pondered, the meditational field of sense-awareness picking up the shape of the chamber Held might have been able to see more directly, following the path of the nodules of energy. Pillar-columns twisted apart, bisected walls and shattered stairways that led nowhere. "Whatever had befallen this place had quite literally buried it."

Then at the edge of the Shingan's field of view, something stirred. First it was as if the image of the sequestered briefly out of focus from the distance and effort of peering through its substance. Then, as if blurred at the edges, it read like a silhouette. Something was stirring down there. Its true nature unreadable, but its countenance was gargantuan.

Suddenly, the heavy steel thud of a latch rang through the ancient stony hollow of the King's Grove, followed by footfalls. Somebody approached.

"Raider officers." Ochazuke mulled, "Jack, focus, keep us concealed."

There was more than one voice, and their conversation at this distance was indecipherable, where it echoed but was quite animated, with passionate disagreement.

The Golem's stream of consciousness lurched in a brief inner monologue that reached them where they stood within; fleeting, abstract, like the meaning without words.

Comrades, Echoed Damask's thoughts, an intonation that was as much an affirmation as it was a query to the group. Rendezvous?

Banespell watched Inanna leave, and after a few moments, turns and looks at Binder.

“How close was I?”

The Fae smiles and flutters up, kissing his cheek.

“Very close. A razor’s edge, Lord Forger, but our Pact and your Oath is upheld. Well done.”

He nods, fiddling with the loadstone one his pocket.

“And if I had failed? If I had lied to her?”

Binder flies back and perched on a stack of books.

“Then I would have killed you, Lord Forger. It would have broken my heart, but we made an Oath, and my kind do not take breaking them lightly. No lies, no deceits allowed, but clever word usage is appreciated. I must say you did quite well.”

He nods and looks at her, golden eyes gleaming. He moves to speak when a new voice, a sultry females speaks instead.

“Do you think she realizes you mean to trap or destroy her alongside Genesis, Lord Forger?” The last two words are spoken almost mockingly as out of the magical forge steps a tall and curvaceous figure.

Ishtar, Queen of the Bloody Stars.

She stretches and smirks lazily.

“I thought she would sense me, but your forge’s Magic well hid my presence. But, back to my question: do you think she even has an inkling?”

Banespell grimaces but shakes his head.

“No, if she had she would have killed, or attempted to kill, me. For now she may be suspicious of my full intentions, but she doesn’t know the extent of them. It’s a pity, what has to happen, but the strongest acts require the strongest wills, and I assure you Ishtar, mine is the strongest. Inanna, Genesis, both Abominations will be gone. Must be gone. I can see Inanna’s...thirst, her curiosity, for new power and new secrets, same as Genesis. The future of universes rely on neither surviving their confrontation.”

Ishtar quirks an eyebrow and puts her arms behind her head, stretching and looking around.

“Well good, I can’t wait until the bitch is dead. Now, Lady Binder, about that curse we were talking about......”

The two women wander off, leaving the old Palantine gripping the loadstone tightly, eyes seeing the past and the future at the same time, regretting what has to happen but knowing it was for the best.

They would save the universes, weather they liked it or not, and damn whoever opposed him.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Default Of Gods, and Monsters: A Brief Introduction

'Another month, another sacrifice.'

That was all Cui Cui could think, as she and the other Zoon-Seijin made their way with leaden feet, toward the amphitheater. 'Who will it be this time ?'

As she rounded the corner, Cui Cui found herself alone on the street. A small reprieve, as the other's crestfallen shambling never failed to put her in far worse spirits. Though it also meant she was already late. Not that it mattered, when she arrived. The sacrifice would happen with or without her, and there were none among the inhabitants of Zoon, who could stand against their God... who in its unlimited benevolence only saw fit to perform this 'taxation of flesh' every three months.

Cui Cui took a left once the street ended, and found herself now in the shadow of the Amphitheater; and she couldn't help but sneer.

What a joke this all was.

Bound by the sins of their Elders, to suffer the indignity of servitude in exchange for protection... but from what? Invaders from beyond? When had that ever happened. Certainly not in her lifetime, nor the lifetime before.

Only the Elders had ever suffered such otherworldly ingress. Self-important foo-

"Oof."

Not realizing where she was walking, the young Cui Cui had bumped into another latecomer. "Oh... sorry," but while she was sure the man had heard her there was no response. So with a sigh, she picked back up where she'd left off.

'Fools...'

They'd been so desperate for something... someone, to believe in. For Oasis. Never once thinking about how long that Oasis could last ... when the price they had to pay for it was such a terrible thing.

'The flesh and blood, of our kin. What kind of God would ask for that?'

Of course. The Elders, stuck in their ways, would simply say a God of Benevolence. A safe oasis, in exchange for what amounted to a drop in once non-existent oceans. As verdant a world as the Zoon-Seijin's had become, as safe as it had been- no catastrophes, no civil unrest, no war...- there was a small sliver of reason; and yet Cui-Cui knew it was wrong. Could almost feel it and found herself shivering with disgust at the thought of the sacrifices.

'A savage rite, from a bygone age.'

The steps of the Amphitheater were fast approaching however, and Cui Cui knew the time for silent, dismal musing, had come and gone. So with a soft sigh, the young Zoon-Sejin mounted the steps and slipped through the archway.

At least this would be over soon.

Arx Inosaan