Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108

Thread: Pick & choose

  1. #46
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Ignoring facts is like the primary things adults do. I ignore facts all the time because if I didn't I'd be constantly depressed.
    I think there is a part of most people that understands how childish it is.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    It is not a fact that Superman was born on Kryton because it is not true that Superman was born and it is therefore not true that he was born on Krypton. Something is fact or fiction. These stories are fiction. It is a fact that it has been written that Superman was born on Krypton. It is a fact that this could be rewritten or changed.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 05-09-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  3. #48
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I think there is a part of most people that understands how childish it is.
    You must be real unfamiliar with adults, then. Heck, humans. People ignore what they don't like all the time. Heck, people ignore stuff they knowingly can't really ignore without horrible repercussions all the time. You're arguing against human nature, not what's childish or adultish or whatever. I'm sure there's some stuff you ignore on a daily basis because it's not worth worrying about.

  4. #49
    Spectacular Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Nobody's saying it didn't happen. Every story published "happened", but it also "didn't happen" because it isn't real, it's fiction. What happened or didn't happen in a fictional construct is an ever-shifting thing. You can either wait for DC to decide it didn't happen anymore or you can do it yourself. The result is the same. You can consume entertainment any way you'd like, of course. If letting DC editorial dictate what is or isn't "real" in your own imagination makes you feel more like an adult, go right ahead and do that.

    However, until Warner Bros. purchases exclusive rights to my imagination, I can do whatever I please to the DCU that exists in my own mind.
    I personally think more accurate to say is "You cant ignoring, But can not accepting it"
    Yes, Comics all is fiction But still been publishing in real life and have it own official continuity, Story is fiction but it offcial is real
    We could imterpretation those stories even deciding which parts should happen and other parts shouldn't. But we can not ignoring those stories already happened in DC continuity
    For example: You could not accepting Superman once was fallen love with Wonder Woman in new52, But you cant denying it already been written by dc and published
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 05-09-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    "Cobra!Rider System!Revolution!ARE YOU READY?Black Hole!Black Hole!Black Hole!Revolution!FUahhahahaahha!"--Kamen Rider EVOL

  5. #50
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    It is not a fact that Superman was born on Kryton because it is not true that Superman was born and it is therefore not true that he was born on Krypton. Something is fact or fiction. These stories are fiction. It is a fact that it has been written that Superman was born on Krypton. It is a fact that this could be rewritten or changed.

    But the obsession with facts itself is pointless because we live in a world where facts DO care about your feelings.
    It is a fact because it is a part of the story. Fictional stories have facts that are a part of their narratives. I can’t say that Superman was born on planet boopty boo and whenever Superman says he was born on Krypton in a story I can’t just ignore it. Stories have narrative facts. And the only people who can change/ add to the narrative facts are the people who own the narrative.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    It is a fact because it is a part of the story. Fictional stories have facts that are a part of their narratives. I can’t say that Superman was born on planet boopty boo and whenever Superman says he was born on Krypton in a story I can’t just ignore it. Stories have narrative facts. And the only people who can change/ add to the narrative facts are the people who own the narrative.
    The written word is not a fact. Fictitious stories have two authors: those who write the words that are put on the page and those who read and interpret those stories. The creation of a story needs these two parts. Without the comprehension of the words and understanding of the narrative, you do not have a story. You have probably heard it said that an author's interpretation of their own work is no more valid than a reader's, and there is truth to that statement. When we read comics, we interpret them to form stories. We can chose which elements of the stories we want to keep and in doing so craft our own stories that are no more or less valid than what is printed in the series of comics.

    AT&T owns the rights to these characters. Their ownership of their names and looks does not mean that their stories are more valid than a readers interpretation. Because stories are not true so no story is more true than another.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  7. #52
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    You must be real unfamiliar with adults, then. Heck, humans. People ignore what they don't like all the time. Heck, people ignore stuff they knowingly can't really ignore without horrible repercussions all the time. You're arguing against human nature, not what's childish or adultish or whatever. I'm sure there's some stuff you ignore on a daily basis because it's not worth worrying about.
    There is a difference between ignoring what you don't like and ignoring facts because you don't like them. But ultimately, this is just a small part of a larger point that this has got away from. Even if a lot of people ignore facts because they don't like them, that does not make this any less childish.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  8. #53
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    I feel like you don't really know what is or is not childish, it's just your go to insult to undermine someone else. I just explained to you how that's certainly not a child specific behavior, and if anything is more common of adults.

    Actively choosing apathy and avoidance for a creative decision is probably one of the most civil ways to deal with fiction you don't agree with. Sometimes I wish I could be more adult and just ignore and get over things that I hate instead of dwelling on them.

  9. #54
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The written word is not a fact. Fictitious stories have two authors: those who write the words that are put on the page and those who read and interpret those stories. The creation of a story needs these two parts. Without the comprehension of the words and understanding of the narrative, you do not have a story. You have probably heard it said that an author's interpretation of their own work is no more valid than a reader's, and there is truth to that statement. When we read comics, we interpret them to form stories. We can chose which elements of the stories we want to keep and in doing so craft our own stories that are no more or less valid than what is printed in the series of comics.

    AT&T owns the rights to these characters. Their ownership of their names and looks does not mean that their stories are more valid than a readers interpretation. Because stories are not true so no story is more true than another.
    No stories only have one author, the people who own the story. I can't read a Superman story and say "I think Superman comes from the planet boopty boo". A reader can read and understand the story from what the author has written but the only valid facts of the narrative come from the author. Things like names, locations, continuity and unambiguous story events are all facts that come from the author and can't be changed.

    I disagree with the reader's interpretation being as valid as the authors. unless a work was specifically designed to be interpreted by both the author and the reader, the work is the author's creative endeavour and is owned by the author/company that owns the work.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  10. #55
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Someone has never heard of Death of the Author, huh?

  11. #56
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I feel like you don't really know what is or is not childish, it's just your go to insult to undermine someone else. I just explained to you how that's certainly not a child specific behavior, and if anything is more common of adults.

    Actively choosing apathy and avoidance for a creative decision is probably one of the most civil ways to deal with fiction you don't agree with. Sometimes I wish I could be more adult and just ignore and get over things that I hate instead of dwelling on them.
    It is not a child-specific behaviour but it is still a childish behaviour exhibited by children.

    Life doesn't work like that way. If someone I had feelings for did not reciprocate my feelings I couldn't just say "well that never happened" and if someone I cared about died I couldn't say "they are still alive and living far away". Ignoring facts just isn't good.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  12. #57
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Someone has never heard of Death of the Author, huh?
    I have. I just think it is a load of crap.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  13. #58
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    It is not a child-specific behaviour but it is still a childish behaviour exhibited by children.

    Life doesn't work like that way. If someone I had feelings for did not reciprocate my feelings I couldn't just say "well that never happened" and if someone I cared about died I couldn't say "they are still alive and living far away". Ignoring facts just isn't good.
    That's called denial in reality. Doesn't matter when it comes to fiction.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Superman does not exist and has never existed. No biographical information about his life is factual: it is fictional. Fictions are not factual. We may tell ourselves stories about Superman that do not entirely match the details of the publication history of Superman. But these are simply two different stories. Neither one is a more correct story than the other. Stories are not factual, so you can't have a wrong story. By selectively choosing our canon, we are creating our own unique story. That is not wrong or delusional. It is an expression of our own storytelling.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  15. #60
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Considering the state of DC's continuity, I wonder how any sane person would ever acknowledge the facts of its continuity. I doubt anyone truly knows, even those writing it. We are all so childish for not stringently accepting it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •