Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Pick & choose

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I haven't implied anything. If you're getting something from it then that's on you.
    You and Bored got more into it. I was just pointing out how the childish part doesn't make sense in reference to superheroes. Which were created to entertain children but whatever.
    Can you explain what you meant by this then?
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Can you explain what you meant by this then?
    It was in reference my earlier post about the early creation of Superhero comics. (Golden Age)

"According to historian Michael A. Amundson, appealing comic-book characters helped ease young readers' fear of nuclear war and neutralize anxiety about the questions posed by atomic power."
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

It was in reference my earlier post about the early creation of Superhero comics. (Golden Age)

"According to historian Michael A. Amundson, appealing comic-book characters helped ease young readers' fear of nuclear war and neutralize anxiety about the questions posed by atomic power."
    I agree with you that comics were and are still accessible to children, but ignoring the change in target demographic after the direct market and whatnot is like the Republicans who still talk about how Democrats supported slavery while ignoring the Southern Strategy.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

"Jimmy, I don't know how many times I gotta tell ya, there ain't no such thing as a canon, and anyone who says differently is just tryin' to sell you something."
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I agree with you that comics were and are still accessible to children, but ignoring the change in target demographic after the direct market and whatnot is like the Republicans who still talk about how Democrats supported slavery while ignoring the Southern Strategy.
    That seems a like an extreme comparison but okay. But if you read through all my posts you would know that I haven't ignored target demographics and that I was one of the few people bringing that up. DC may want to aim at teens like they tried when they were manipulating their polling so their demographics skewed more in the teen range while ignoring very young readers or older long time readers. This happened when the reboot kicked off.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Well this thread has completely derailed.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Well this thread has completely derailed.
    Time for a 'do over'.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Time for a 'do over'.
    Reboot. It's always the right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    May I ask a question as curious how others approach this issue. We're all invested in the DCU as this forum demonstrates. My question is this; How do you choose to what to have in your library. Sounds daft, but what I mean is' take for example, the latest rumblings about 'Heroes in Crisis.' It seems the majority have 'issues' with it, but do they not want it in their library as like it or not, it's a major development in the DCU which will surely be referenced moving forward. It's in continuity whether you like it or not. It's happened, so can you enjoy the rest of continuity with Is links to it? Doesn't't ignoring leave a void in the DCU? It was a pretty big development. Difficult to put into words what I'm asking. Hope folk get where I am coming from?
    Considering the original question was about determining what to have in your library, I'd say go ahead and skip anything you don't like. I have books that have sat on my shelf untouched for years that I bought ages ago "for continuity". It's a waste of money and space.

I plan on pretty much ignoring Heroes In Crisis going forward. Does that mean I suddenly like to pretend it was never published? Of course not. I'm also not going to force myself to give the time of day to a storyline that I don't like and get nothing but frustration out of reading.

I just buy whatever I enjoy. Floppies, trades, whatever. So how I pick what goes on the shelf is based on nothing more than whether the story entertains me. It can be a big, important story or an Elseworlds that doesn't matter to the ongoing narrative. If the story itself is good (by my subjective opinion) I buy it. If it's not good, no amount of "importance" put upon it by the company will get me to purchase it.

I don't worry too much about continuity. I recognize that continuity includes stories I don't like and those events "count" in the larger narrative, but I also gloss over those moments in my collection. As much as I love Nightwing, I'll never buy any of these "Ric" issues, in any form. Ric happened but I don't have to support or acknowledge that or reward DC for subpar effort.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Reboot. It's always the right idea.
    To get it somewhat back on topic...

What the OP is referring to is 'head-canon'.

I still do this with the JSA.
    If I read a story that fits within the context of the pre-Crisis Earth-2, even with a few minor alterations, that's where it goes.
    If it doesn't I ignore it or treat it as an alternate universe version.

For Me, Earth-2 wasn't destroyed during Crisis.
    In my head-canon, it was just removed from Earth-1's reality. And Earth-1 compensated by 'creating' Earth-1 versions of the Earth-2 heroes present in its reality during the Crisis.
    The Atlantean Power Girl, the Bertinelli Huntress, the changes made to Dr. Fate regarding hosts... were all done by Earth-1's reality trying to 'make sense of it all' in a universe with no Earth-2.

Meanwhile, Earth-2 continued to exist, similarly cut off from Earth-1.
    There's a possibility that new heroes were created on Earth-2, as well, to fill the void created by the removal of Earth-1.
    The Infinity, Inc. team took over as the new JSA and they added more members as time went on.
    These new members would be both legacy heroes and new heroes making their own names, because the JSA (on their Earth) is just as big as the JLA or the Avengers. And always would be.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I just buy whatever I enjoy. Floppies, trades, whatever. So how I pick what goes on the shelf is based on nothing more than whether the story entertains me. It can be a big, important story or an Elseworlds that doesn't matter to the ongoing narrative. If the story itself is good (by my subjective opinion) I buy it. If it's not good, no amount of "importance" put upon it by the company will get me to purchase it.

I don't worry too much about continuity. I recognize that continuity includes stories I don't like and those events "count" in the larger narrative, but I also gloss over those moments in my collection. As much as I love Nightwing, I'll never buy any of these "Ric" issues, in any form. Ric happened but I don't have to support or acknowledge that or reward DC for subpar effort.
    Thank you' Ascended (and everyone) that's what I was trying to say. It's the 'importance' that the company places on a particular title and I feel I might miss out if I'm not versed with it. Hence I'll add it to my library, even though I might not particularly like the storytelling. Funny though I originally did not care for Morrison's 'Final Crisis' revisited again as thought I should have the main event in my library and I absolutely loved it. Maybe my 'thinking' has changed?

Fantastic Member

Oh' Ric Doesn't float my boat either. Yet I'm still enjoying King's Batman, which had Bruce acting on the initial act that triggered that storyline over in 'Nightwing.' Maybe I am learning to 'pick & choose' after all.

Incredible Member

This

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    Considering the original question was about determining what to have in your library, I'd say go ahead and skip anything you don't like.
    and this

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I just buy whatever I enjoy. .
    It took me some years to learn to "pick and choose", and only started after Infinite Crisis, but now I think it was the best decision ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Thank you' Ascended (and everyone) that's what I was trying to say. It's the 'importance' that the company places on a particular title and I feel I might miss out if I'm not versed with it. Hence I'll add it to my library, even though I might not particularly like the storytelling. Funny though I originally did not care for Morrison's 'Final Crisis' revisited again as thought I should have the main event in my library and I absolutely loved it. Maybe my 'thinking' has changed?
    I think everyone's habits change the longer they're in the hobby. When I first started collecting back in the early 90's I bought all the big Events and "important" stories. Now I actually tend to avoid them. I figure you can only watch the world's greatest champions team together to defeat a ridiculous plot point so many times before you lose interest in seeing it again.

These days, with the net, you can keep up with a story without buying it. I know what's been happening in Heroes in Crisis even though I haven't read it, for example. So it's easier to pick and choose than it used to be back in the day before places like CBR provided entire communities to help keep you in the loop.

Buy what you like and what makes you sleep soundly at night. Everything else isn't worth spending money on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.