Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really liked the look of Bengal, and thought he made a good foe for DD. Of course Marvel went and redeemed him and made him a good guy, but I would be more than happy to see someone else take up the mantle and be a straight up bad guy or paid assassin.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-30-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Honestly I'd say Iron Fist has a worse rogues gallery as he has just Davos as a recurring threat.

But Daredevil has had more chances to build a rogues gallery as he had more solo runs than Danny.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    You mean saved Daredevil from cancelation. All that whimsy wasn't doing all that well in the '70s.
    I would argue that Miller's run was less gritty than McKenzie's run, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly I'd say Iron Fist has a worse rogues gallery as he has just Davos as a recurring threat.
    Until the Immortal Iron Fist run built up his antagonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Until the Immortal Iron Fist run built up his antagonists.
    Not really as Xao was a bland hydra stooge and second banana to Davos. I prefer Chosin from the Brisson run to him. I was hoping the netflix show would adapt the Laoshi arc over the Heavenly tournament.

The Immortal Weapons aren't really villians themselves but i could see them being well meaning antagonists for an arc or two.

Granted both the dragon whose destined to kill Danny and the Eighth City could be interesting but i doubt we'd see those two again.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Daredevil #8
    But this is why just posting a picture does not really explain why a rogue is supposed to be compelling.

The problem with Stilt-Man he doesn't have much of in the way of an interesting personality or motive, he just a generic costumed petty criminal, with a really stupid gimmick. This is why he has been turned into a comic relief character. He doesn't really fit in the past Miller era.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Is one of the lamest ever. I really like Daredevil and I have a good time reading his comics but I think his rouges are pretty lame. The Leap Frog, Man Bull, The Owl, The Matador, Stilt Man. His best villains were stolen from Spiderman. The Ox from The Enforcers, The Kingpin, Electro.
    Why is such a great character given such lame villains? Am I the only one who feels this way?
    I think you are cherry-picking his rogues, its like saying Spidey's rogues' gallery is lame due to guys like Spot, Big wheel, Gibbon, etc.

Bullseye is a great villain, Mr. Fear has been used to good effect, Bushwacker is a great villain when the writers remember to use him well. Bullet was pretty compelling sometimes.

The Hand is good cannon fodder, but use more development, give them a leader and members with actual personality, instead of everyone just being a faceless goon.

Even Owl has gotten a fair amount of stories where he is dangerous or compelling.

Some of the new villains worked well, Muse, the serial killer artist or Coyote the teleporting smuggler.

Daredevil's rogues' gallery could use a revamp, but it's not unsalvagable. Just use the best Silver Age villains, the Miller villains, the Nocetni villains and some of the newer villains that have been compelling and add a new villain, now and again and that is a decent rogues gallery.

You can also revamp characters, the Wildboys were just 2 petty crooks, but if you expand them into a street gang, they could pose a problem.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 07-02-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Plunder might work if Daredevil travelled more. He would be better used as an Iron Fist villian or Hawkeye.

So send him, Deathstalker and the Ani-men over there.

Granted they could be used in DD with the right context. Figure out a legal problem they fit and try it.

I liked TenFingers from Soule's run. He's probably the most interesting Hand related villian beyond Gorgon.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I would argue that Miller's run was less gritty than McKenzie's run, imo.
    Uh, sounds intriguing... are there collections?

McKenzie's work is starting to get collected in the Masterworks right now, but, aside from the later issues penciled by Frank Miller (158-166), they're not affordably collected. I think everything is on Marvel Unlimited, though.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

McKenzie's work is starting to get collected in the Masterworks right now, but, aside from the later issues penciled by Frank Miller (158-166), they're not affordably collected. I think everything is on Marvel Unlimited, though.
    Thanx, appreciate it.

Astonishing Member

The Owl, Purple Man, Mr Fear, Gladiator, Stilt-Man
    Too bad they're mostly used to prop up other villains now.

I agree with Gladiator and Stilt-Man. I'm not sure I agree with the other three.

Daredevil has a solid set of rogues. There's no way a rogues gallery that has villains of the caliber of the Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, Typhoid Mary would ever be considered "lame". I don't know why Daredevil's rogues gallery is held to a standard where they're judged for how things initially were with them considering they've evolved since then. The only problem I see pertaining to the Daredevil rogues is that writers more often than not play directly with a select few (The Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand) as opposed to playing with the more obscurer Daredevil rogues (the Gladiator, Mr. Fear, Lady Bullseye, Ikari).

Don't get me wrong, the Kingpin is the perfect archenemy for Daredevil but I wouldn't mind seeing Fisk go up against someone else for a change. Maybe someone like Moon Knight for an example. The bottom line is as solid as the Daredevil rogues gallery are, they could use either new players or more obscurer players on the field as opposed to the usual suspects.

Extraordinary Member

Just don’t have him right the Ani-men ever again.