Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Daredevil's rouges gallery....

Is one of the lamest ever. I really like Daredevil and I have a good time reading his comics but I think his rouges are pretty lame. The Leap Frog, Man Bull, The Owl, The Matador, Stilt Man. His best villains were stolen from Spiderman. The Ox from The Enforcers, The Kingpin, Electro.
    Why is such a great character given such lame villains? Am I the only one who feels this way?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

he has wilson and mary that's all he needs
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

his rogues gallery is Batman's rogues gallery.

Astonishing Member

All rogues galleries are “lame”, especially when they start start out. Most of the really interesting elements of any hero’s rogues comes from how they’re built up later.

Spider-Man has arguably the best Marvel rogues gallery and yet threads like this can show up.

Most of why Daredevil’s earlier villains have been phased out is because Marvel started to conscribe stricter to genres. The Tinkerer, one of Spider-Man’s earliest villains, was implied to be an alien, but that was retconned later as later writers felt that that would be too out there for a Spider-Man story. With newer Daredevil stories acting more in the superhero noir-esque setting, most of the sci-fi villains were left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Daredevil's rouges gallery
    I believe you meant "Rogues' Gallery", unless of course you were talking about Daredevil wearing different shades of red makeup for the cheeks and lips.

I agree. I haven't read a ton of Daredevil stories, but unlike most other higher level Marvel heroes that have sustained a solo book, he has very few villains that are primarily his foes as opposed to general marvel or from some other hero's rogue gallery. Kingpin, Typhoid Mary, Elektra at times, Mr Fear, Bullseye and Lady Bullseye, the Owl and the Hand. That's literally all I can think of.
    Last edited by Captain Nash; 05-09-2019 at 08:36 AM.

I generally associate all of those characters with Daredevil. if they were lame, they wouldn't be appearing so often outside of his title. Bullseye, Kingpin, and Elektra are extremely popular. how would anyone even describe the characters without mentioning Daredevil? he served Fisk his first real loss. Bullseye was obsessed with him to the point where he believed himself to be Daredevil. and Elektra's his first crush. I can take or leave the Owl. but he's not lacking in appearances. any issue with Mister Fear is due to him having few appearances. there's nothing intrinsically lame about him (imo). Lady Bullseye is a sign of Bullseye's popularity. the reason that Daredevil has so few villains is because his territory isn't that large. most of the villains know to avoid Hell's Kitchen.

I thought Mark Waid did a good job with the silver age villains in his run. Both he and charles Soule created a few new ones so i don't think DD's is that bad anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe you meant "Rogues' Gallery", unless of course you were talking about Daredevil wearing different shades of red makeup for the cheeks and lips.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I never even noticed it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I wish they'd bring back Coyote. He was a more menacing version of the Spot.
    #EmmaWasRight

What about gladiator and the jester?

creatively, things were painted into a corner when Frank Miller went film noir and "dead serious" became the default outlook. It became mostly about gangsters/mob figures; certainly the enduring storylines that "stick out" to people and what future writers tried to emulate (Bendis, etc.)

Current writers could have more traditional "super-villains" if they'd like but will they stick? We'll see.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 05-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    creatively, things were painted into a corner when Frank Miller went film noir and "dead serious" became the default outlook. It became mostly about gangsters/mob figures; certainly the enduring storylines that "stick out" to people and what future writers tried to emulate (Bendis, etc.)

Current writers could have more traditional "super-villains" if they'd like but will they stick? We'll see.
    They won’t. Unless it’s a crossover, Daredevil will never break out of his current noir genre.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Always The Hood would be a good, more fresh villain for DD to face.
    I love his dynamic with Kingpin and it will never not be in a DD comic, but I agree he needs one or two new villains.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    All rogues galleries are “lame”, especially when they start start out. Most of the really interesting elements of any hero’s rogues comes from how they’re built up later.

Spider-Man has arguably the best Marvel rogues gallery and yet threads like this can show up.

Most of why Daredevil’s earlier villains have been phased out is because Marvel started to conscribe stricter to genres. The Tinkerer, one of Spider-Man’s earliest villains, was implied to be an alien, but that was retconned later as later writers felt that that would be too out there for a Spider-Man story. With newer Daredevil stories acting more in the superhero noir-esque setting, most of the sci-fi villains were left behind.
    Spidey as a precursor to Men in Black? Sounds like interesting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I wish they'd bring back Coyote. He was a more menacing version of the Spot.
    Actually, I wish they would bring back Ikari. I always thought he had potential.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-09-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Made a correction.