Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Daredevil #3

Daredevil #4

Daredevil #6

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I like Daredevil's rogue's gallery. My complaint is that they don't get enough attention aside from the Frank Miller villains. People know Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, and the Punisher. Many know Typhoid Mary as well as the Owl. But Gladiator, Jester, Mr. Fear, Mr. Hyde, Purple Man, and Bullet all have lots of potential if done right. Deathstalker is no more, but he was a creepy villain. As far as borrowed villains go, I enjoyed when Mephisto was a Daredevil rogue and, of course, Blackheart was invented for Daredevil. I know nobody likes him and he's never been used right, but I maintain that Hellspawn has potential as basically Daredevil's Venom. Lady Bullseye from Brubaker's run and Coyote and Ikari from Waid's run were lots of fun. I wouldn't go so far as to say that there are no bad villains, but the problem is just how they are used. I'd also argue Daredevil is not at Spider-Man level and its unrealistic to expect him to have the same quality villains, but his villains are just as strong as Iron Man and stronger than other street-level characters like Luke Cage.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Daredevil #8

Daredevil #10-11

Daredevil #12-13

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Daredevil #8
    Back in the days when Stilt-Man could be considered a serious villain (at least more serious than he is now).

I mean it is not all great but he has a great core Rogues Gallery with the Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, Typhoid Mary and the Purple Man. And there are plenty of other villains that can be used for Daredevil stories.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

it seems that daredevil is the hero who is always trying to poach other heroes rogues gallery. he stole kingpin beetle(more of a round robin villain) electro(for a cameo) ringmaster and mysterio(for specific arcs) from Spider man and Hyde and cobra from Thor, appropriated Doctor Doom for some issues from FF to become trapped in dooms body etc. then again his remaining rogues have strong similarities with Batman's rogues bullseye(deadshot) The Hand(league of assassins) Mr fear(Scarecrow) jester(joker/punch) owl(penguin) typhoid Mary( kind of a combination of Harley poison ivy and rose/Thorn).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I like Daredevil's rogue's gallery. My complaint is that they don't get enough attention aside from the Frank Miller villains. People know Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand, and the Punisher. Many know Typhoid Mary as well as the Owl. But Gladiator, Jester, Mr. Fear, Mr. Hyde, Purple Man, and Bullet all have lots of potential if done right. Deathstalker is no more, but he was a creepy villain. As far as borrowed villains go, I enjoyed when Mephisto was a Daredevil rogue and, of course, Blackheart was invented for Daredevil. I know nobody likes him and he's never been used right, but I maintain that Hellspawn has potential as basically Daredevil's Venom. Lady Bullseye from Brubaker's run and Coyote and Ikari from Waid's run were lots of fun. I wouldn't go so far as to say that there are no bad villains, but the problem is just how they are used. I'd also argue Daredevil is not at Spider-Man level and its unrealistic to expect him to have the same quality villains, but his villains are just as strong as Iron Man and stronger than other street-level characters like Luke Cage.
    Yeah the origin issue of Blackheart was a great comic and one of Marvels darker origin stories. I agree the Mephisto run was awesome and I was always a fan of the acts of vengeance Ultron arc with DD around the same time.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I have no issues with his Gallery of Rogues. I love Blackheart...Along with many of the aforementioned notables.
    And I love when DD goes up against Mephisto.
    It does come down to a question of how and how often they are used. (I'm a tad bored with Kingpin and the Hand, right now).

A few more (these from Daredevil Annual #1 back in 1967):

I know he "stole" Kingpin, but Fisk has been such an ideal fit/contrast for Daredevil I think the two are on par with Joker/Batman. He works as a a perfect foil.

I like his rogues gallery. I think they're under-utilized and that in turn makes them underestimated and underapppreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    Yeah the origin issue of Blackheart was a great comic and one of Marvels darker origin stories. I agree the Mephisto run was awesome and I was always a fan of the acts of vengeance Ultron arc with DD around the same time.
    The Ultron/Doom arc & the Mephisto arc were both epic. The team of Nocenti/JRJR/Williamson brought their A game and made their run truly memorable.

Astonishing Member

There is no such thing as a "lame" rogues gallery in my opinion. Just characters that haven't been utilized to their full extent by the writers. In saying that, the few rogues he does have, while not on Spider-man's or Batman's level, are surprisingly effective - Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, Mr Fear (Larry Cranston), Purple Man, Owl, Lady Bullseye are all great villains. In fact, Bullseye is on the same level as The Joker and Green Goblin in terms of how much hurt he has inflicted on Daredevil.

Alot of detractors say there was nothing really groundbreaking in Soule's recently wrapped tenure on the title, but the guy came up with Ten-Fingers (who has untapped potential) and Muse. Two great additions. Waid came up with Ikari and Coyote (who is delightfully creepy.) However, a vast majority of them are just waiting for the right writer with the right approach.

Mighty Member

Remember Starr Saxon? He went on to become Machinesmith.

A few more:

originally appeared as The Exterminator in Daredevil #39

first appeared in Daredevil #42

first appeared in Daredevil #78