Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not the biggest Mitten fan, but this issue was his best work to date for me. Really enjoyed the set up here. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

My feeling about the Liz portion of the story hasn't changed. As much as I want to see her development as a kid the Hellboy portion is more interesting at this point but it's suffering from underdevelopment and pacing issues due to the Liz portions taking up page count and breaking up the flow of the story.

I don't know what it is, but something about this one just isn't ticking the boxes for me.

Amazing Member

I thought the first issue was a lot better than the second--they're introducing the monster in a weird, anti-climactic way which I hope pays off hugely later on.

I also can't be bothered about the Liz story. Roberson's demonstrated several times now that his Mignolaverse strength is not building characters, so spending this long focusing on a fairly uninteresting (so far) part of her life seems like a wild misfire. It also seems symptomatic of what I feared would happen if they finished the "modern" story and tried to keep filling in with these stories: eventually we'll hit the point where we get three-issue arcs about the time Tom Manning got gas at the Cumberland Farms instead of the Circle K. Diminishing returns, man, diminishing returns.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    I also can't be bothered about the Liz story. Roberson's demonstrated several times now that his Mignolaverse strength is not building characters, so spending this long focusing on a fairly uninteresting (so far) part of her life seems like a wild misfire.
    This is written by Scott Allie, not Chris Roberson.

Amazing Member

*hangs head in shame*

But we can all agree that whatever the particular writing thing we're talking about is, Arcudi does it best, right?