Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm not the biggest Mitten fan, but this issue was his best work to date for me. Really enjoyed the set up here. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

My feeling about the Liz portion of the story hasn't changed. As much as I want to see her development as a kid the Hellboy portion is more interesting at this point but it's suffering from underdevelopment and pacing issues due to the Liz portions taking up page count and breaking up the flow of the story.

I don't know what it is, but something about this one just isn't ticking the boxes for me.

Amazing Member

I thought the first issue was a lot better than the second--they're introducing the monster in a weird, anti-climactic way which I hope pays off hugely later on.

I also can't be bothered about the Liz story. Roberson's demonstrated several times now that his Mignolaverse strength is not building characters, so spending this long focusing on a fairly uninteresting (so far) part of her life seems like a wild misfire. It also seems symptomatic of what I feared would happen if they finished the "modern" story and tried to keep filling in with these stories: eventually we'll hit the point where we get three-issue arcs about the time Tom Manning got gas at the Cumberland Farms instead of the Circle K. Diminishing returns, man, diminishing returns.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    I also can't be bothered about the Liz story. Roberson's demonstrated several times now that his Mignolaverse strength is not building characters, so spending this long focusing on a fairly uninteresting (so far) part of her life seems like a wild misfire.
    This is written by Scott Allie, not Chris Roberson.

Amazing Member

*hangs head in shame*

But we can all agree that whatever the particular writing thing we're talking about is, Arcudi does it best, right?

Seeing the enthusiastic posting for the final chapter I guess most agree with me that this was a hot mess. I am not even sure what happened in the end. And the Liz stuff just felt superfluous and distracting. So the creature was from 110,000 BCE. But that doesn't explain anything. Why did it appear 90 years ago? And that last fight, the sheriff's deputy is attacked and then ok, Agent Kinsley is attacked and then is ok. The storytelling was jumbled and I am lost on the connections to all the people. What's with the Goya painting? (Yes I know it's title). Disappointed all around.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah, this was very poorly executed. I don't know what to say...

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. has underwhelmed me for a long time. If it wasn't solely Mignola writing, I was skipping it. Somehow I thought this one was.
    At this point, I'd just rather not have new Hellboy books than have bad ones. And make no mistake, these are bad books.

I dunno... I just feel bad for the artists working on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah, this was very poorly executed. I don't know what to say...

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. has underwhelmed me for a long time. If it wasn't solely Mignola writing, I was skipping it. Somehow I thought this one was.
    At this point, I'd just rather not have new Hellboy books than have bad ones. And make no mistake, these are bad books.

I dunno... I just feel bad for the artists working on this book.
    What makes it worse is that it could have easily been a good book...if they had just picked one plot or the other. Both stories had the makings of something worth while...but crammed together? Neither one got the development it deserved. I blame the editor honestly, they should have clearly seen that there wasn't enough room for both stories and forced the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I blame the editor honestly
    Ironically, it was written by the long time Hellboy Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Ironically, it was written by the long time Hellboy Editor.
    Which is why it's so weird. These guys know how to pace good stories...and they just aren't.

Fantastic Member

So, here is my issue with the book...

It's clearly a hamfisted attempt to create a new protagonist by removing Hellboy from his part of the story before the conclusion and having his agent friend, who is so forgettable and uninteresting that I can't recall her name, resolve the ghoul angle. If that wasn't the purpose, then what was the point of that whole story in the first place. The Liz story was fine, I guess? It didn't tell us anything new about her character or develop who she was in any way, so the whole story could not have happened and we'd be in no different a place than where we started.

I don't agree that this has been the case with the rest of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. I've thoroughly enjoyed '52-'56. The Bruttenholm stuff has been great, the treatment of the side characters have been consistent and have been developing the setting, and Varvara's appearances gave new context to the later B.P.R.D stories.

For me, I felt like this was a story made so the reader can solve the case, but the Bureau can't. We have all the clues to put together exactly what happened, but the Bureau lacks the context we have.

I think the Liz story works on paper, but in execution, it didn't work primarily because the scene transitions are unmotivated. There's no reason for the Hellboy scenes to cut to the Liz scenes, it simply cuts to them because the story is finished telling you all it wants to with the Hellboy stuff for now, so it arbitrarily goes to Liz.

Take the first issue for example, we begin on the case, then randomly cut to Liz in the middle of the issue, go back to the case, then end with Liz having run away. It would have been more motivated if we'd begun with Liz, she has that "When 's Hellboy coming back?" moment, then cut to the case with Hellboy going, "This one's gonna take a while," to connect the scenes. Then end the last scene of the case with a moment about how people have been unexpectedly vanishing, then return to Liz being gone. It motivates the cuts and it gives a shape to the overall issue.

I feel like all the elements are there, they just need to be juggled into an order that flows better.

Interesting. You're definitely not wrong!

Maybe someone should take the digital files, rearrange them, and see if it truly works better...'

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    I don't agree that this has been the case with the rest of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. I've thoroughly enjoyed '52-'56.
    It's so fucking exposition heavy. Just endless dialog where none is or should be needed. It is classic bad villain monologuing. It's large amounts of dialogue in action scenes. It is characters talking to themselves to say things the art should, and often is, conveying in the panel.

It hasn't been good. Certainly not the level of craft the Mignolaverse is generally associated with.
    Last edited by Joker; 10-28-2019 at 09:49 AM.

double post