Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The Amazons feelings about the men on the island now reminds me of Darth Vader.

In Return of the Jedi, we see him turn on the Emperor to save his child. Everyone cheers and thinks what a good guy he is deep down.

Then in Revenge of the Sith, we find out he butchered a dozen innocent children because he was trying to save his own kids. So suddenly you're thinking that what happened in Jedi doesn't mean a damn thing except when it comes to protecting his own children he will throw ANYONE under the bus.

My point is, the Amazons haven't really shown yet that they are better people. Just that they are nice to people they have an attachment to doesn't show me they would not happily murder a random male they came across.
    Nothing to show that they would kill a random male they came across either. Diana herself is an Amazon and hasn't shown more than man-irritation when presented with even total misogynists like Hal Jordan (really called dibs on an 18 year old) and later Orion. Tells me the Amazons aren't so much man-haters as insular and protective of their culture.

Spectacular Member

It is interesting that Diana calls Hercules "noble," and it does make you wonder if the classic tale of Hercules and Hippolyta played out in this universe, but if Diana didn't know about the sex raids, and didn't know she was the daughter of Zeus, then there could be a lot of other things that Hippolyta didn't tell Diana. It's possible that Hercules' name isn't mentioned on the island at all and Diana only knows Hercules from watching Steve Reeves, Kevin Sorbo, and Disney versions.

The one thing I thought was missing from this annual was Diana meeting Hercules. I thought that would be the point of her being in the book, but I guess that's setting up a story for the new writers.
    Not Peter David.

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    It is interesting that Diana calls Hercules "noble," and it does make you wonder if the classic tale of Hercules and Hippolyta played out in this universe, but if Diana didn't know about the sex raids, and didn't know she was the daughter of Zeus, then there could be a lot of other things that Hippolyta didn't tell Diana. It's possible that Hercules' name isn't mentioned on the island at all and Diana only knows Hercules from watching Steve Reeves, Kevin Sorbo, and Disney versions.

The one thing I thought was missing from this annual was Diana meeting Hercules. I thought that would be the point of her being in the book, but I guess that's setting up a story for the new writers.
    From the timeline presented in AM it sounds like Heracles has been locked up for too long for him to have done anything to the Amazons, which is weird because defeating Hippolyte was one of the labors. They are going to have to tap dance around this to make it work.

I also found it interesting that AM didn't fess up to the whole truth about why Herc was trapped ... You'll note he didn't tell Diana that his ancestor betrayed Herc and trapped him with the Giant Born. I wonder if they will explore that and have it as a friction point between AM and WW in the future. I can't imagine she'll just abandon Herc now that she knows he's there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    From the timeline presented in AM it sounds like Heracles has been locked up for too long for him to have done anything to the Amazons, which is weird because defeating Hippolyte was one of the labors. They are going to have to tap dance around this to make it work.

I also found it interesting that AM didn't fess up to the whole truth about why Herc was trapped ... You'll note he didn't tell Diana that his ancestor betrayed Herc and trapped him with the Giant Born. I wonder if they will explore that and have it as a friction point between AM and WW in the future. I can't imagine she'll just abandon Herc now that she knows he's there.
    Couldn`t he have done the Labours first? The Amazons are immortal as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Couldn`t he have done the Labours first? The Amazons are immortal as well, right?
    He certainly could have ... but it's something they'll have to pay close attention too as the story unfolds, we now know that Atlantis sank less than 3,000 years ago, and that Paradise Island was founded within the same timeline if Herc was involved with both the Amazons and Atlantis, and they've effectively boxed in a timeline that has implications broader than a single story. And there may be some inconsistency with this timeline and the timeline from Demon Knights which featured Amazons already off the Island, but I'd have to go look as I'm not 100% sure that's the case.

And how is it that he's been off Olympus all this time and no one seems to have noticed that a Demigod of his stature was gone?

He certainly could have ... but it's something they'll have to pay close attention too as the story unfolds, we now know that Atlantis sank less than 3,000 years ago, and that Paradise Island was founded within the same timeline if Herc was involved with both the Amazons and Atlantis, and they've effectively boxed in a timeline that has implications broader than a single story. And there may be some inconsistency with this timeline and the timeline from Demon Knights which featured Amazons already off the Island, but I'd have to go look as I'm not 100% sure that's the case.

And how is it that he's been off Olympus all this time and no one seems to have noticed that a Demigod of his stature was gone?
    Well, Hercules probably was involved first with the amazons and then with Atlantis, I don't see an inconsistency with this. Demon Knights is later, if I don't remember wrong 600 A.D. or later, I think it was stated. The raids were already happening, but only two amazons were off the island permantely, and one of them was Exoristos who was exiled.
    About Hercules and the Olympians: probably they knew but they couldn't care less about finding away to free him xD

Anyway, liked the issue, especially the Wonder Woman - Mera team up!
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-05-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Well, Hercules probably was involved first with the amazons and then with Atlantis, I don't see an inconsistence with this. Demon Knights is later, if I don't remember wrong 600 or 1600 A.D., I think it was stated. The raids were already happening, but only two amazons were off the island permantely, and one of them was Exoristos who was exiled.
    About Hercules and the Olympians: probably they knew but they couldn't care less about finding away to free him xD
    Well he would have had to have been involved with the Amazon's first since he vanished during his involvement with Atlantis The inconsistency here is really Diana referring to him as "noble" as that would imply he was not involved with the Amazon's despite knowing one of his Labors was getting the girdle.

Thanks for the clarification on DK ... I read the first few issues, but couldn't recall the timeline! I do remember Exoristos though ... I may have to go pick up the full run just for giggles.

You are probably correct about the other Olympians ... they are a self-involved lot under Azzarello, which I personally find to be a fantastic interpretation of them! But it does seem odd that given all the other major children of Zeus have come up at some point in the series, except Heracles. Seems a strange omission since there is such an emphasis on Diana's siblings.

Well he would have had to have been involved with the Amazon's first since he vanished during his involvement with Atlantis The inconsistency here is really Diana referring to him as "noble" as that would imply he was not involved with the Amazon's despite knowing one of his Labors was getting the girdle.

Thanks for the clarification on DK ... I read the first few issues, but couldn't recall the timeline! I do remember Exoristos though ... I may have to go pick up the full run just for giggles.

You are probably correct about the other Olympians ... they are a self-involved lot under Azzarello, which I personally find to be a fantastic interpretation of them! But it does seem odd that given all the other major children of Zeus have come up at some point in the series, except Heracles. Seems a strange omission since there is such an emphasis on Diana's siblings.
    Well, from Diana's 'noble' comment I guess that Heracles didn't enslave the amazons, still he may have gotten the girdle anyway in a more peaceful way.

Heracles couldn't be there, so he didn't appear, or better, had Azz used him, the storyline with Atlantis would have been different, I suppose xD. Anyway, I think Apollo mentioned him once though. He said that Diana displayed such a power that she would put the Lion to shame. I suppose he was talking about him.

I am not 100 % sure about DK, eh xD To check would be better, still... I think it was placed in the Middle Age.

Edit: I have checked. The first arcs are in 1013 A.D., then the story continues 30 years later, in 1043 A.D.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-08-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Well, from Diana's 'noble' comment I guess that Heracles didn't enslave the amazons, still he may have gotten the girdle anyway in a more peaceful way.

Heracles couldn't be there, so he didn't appear, or better, had Azz used him, the storyline with Atlantis would have been different, I suppose xD. Anyway, I think Apollo mentioned him once though. He said that Diana displayed such a power that she would put the Lion to shame. I suppose he was talking about him.

I am not 100 % sure about DK, eh xD To check would be better, still... I think it was placed in the Middle Age.
    I don't recall the Lion reference, but I'll keep an eye out during my next re-read as it certainly sounds like a direct reference to him! Still, I will be a little sad if the Amazon history with Heracles is drastically altered ... he's been one of their antagonists from early on ... in many ways he is the antithesis of Diana in his dominating maleness. To see him otherwise in this context is jarring.

I don't recall the Lion reference, but I'll keep an eye out during my next re-read as it certainly sounds like a direct reference to him!
    It was in issue 13, when Apollo meets the other Olympians who are his brothers and sisters and they talk about the prophecy, and he says that Diana is at their level, among the most powerful children of Zeus, having defeated Artemis.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.

It was in issue 13, when Apollo meets the other Olympians who are his brothers and sisters and they talk about the prophecy, and he says that Diana is at their level, among the most powerful children of Zeus, having defeated Artemis.
    Thanks! I will grab my issue, but I think I know the scene you are referring to now

BANNED

With Parker deciding to use more Hercules (altho I expected him to appear here) I guess we will have some timeline set between him and WW`s new creative title. I think Azz didn`t use him because editorial was being careful with the whole classic DC take of him involving her origin.

As for the Olympians, if they knew, how could they free him without breaking the seal and have all the Giants escape? I guess they believed in the lesser of two evils. Kind of weird for Zeus, thought.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I thought the annual overall was just ok. Nice stories involving Olympian monsters and creatures, but not a memorable tale nor really impactful on any level. Still nice little adventures.

I too was hoping that Hercules would appear and be a part of the story, but again, perhaps that is a tale for later. And yes, maybe with the new WW creative team. Here's hoping!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

BANNED

Diana and Mera are great working together this issue.

On a related note, does anyone else think that the Amazon's might have ties to one of the seven sea-kingdoms that Johns will eventually be exploring?

I enjoyed Diana's appearance in the AQUAMAN ANNUAL very much. That she was featured prominently was a big selling point for me. Wonder Woman actually drove the action in AQUAMAN unlike in the SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL where she was just a notch above guest star billing. And, yes, I too would like to see more of Mera and Diana in future stories. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked them together. I guess the surprise comes from the aftertaste of their pre-New 52 interaction in BLACKEST NIGHT: those versions of Wonder Woman and Mera I can do without.
    Last edited by NYCER; 08-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.