Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It's actually a billion billion.
    I find it funny how “a billion billion” sounds far less impressive than “a quintillion”.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I find it funny how “a billion billion” sounds far less impressive than “a quintillion”.
    Disagree. A quintillion may as well be a made up number. But we can under stand a billion, so we can under stand a billion billion.

It's actually a billion billion.
    Ah, well then, Mangog is King!!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I was going to give the translation as just "a gajillion" or something, but I was worried that might be a little ruffly.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

@Arbiter (sorry on my phone) Right?

I think the same topic was discussed on these forums some time ago namely does durability equate to transmutation resistance. I might be misremembering but I thought the general consensus was no...but I'm open to discussion.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    @Arbiter (sorry on my phone) Right?

I think the same topic was discussed on these forums some time ago namely does durability equate to transmutation resistance. I might be misremembering but I thought the general consensus was no...but I'm open to discussion.
    Yeah. Honestly I am of that opinion as well in 99% of cases.

Mangog, to me at least, feels like he gets a pass mostly just because of presentation. I have no concrete evidence beyond it.

He's the physical embodiment of a psychic gestalt of hatred that bleeds over the cosmos. He sorta "poofed" into existence one day and has subsequently "poofed" back again and again when hatred for the gods reaches its peak.

He's not just say a random mutation like Hulk. He's presented as something much more dreadful. Even when Odin was at the height of his powers, Mangog didnt care. Odin being a guy who could shatter chunks of a galaxy and warp reality. Mangog would go STRAIGHT at that guy and that guy would go "omg he's coming what now!?". Like it's a big deal when the dude shows up.

I'm sorta of the opinion that he is less made of transmutable materials and more made of cosmic hatred made flesh.

The closest thing I have for an actual transmutation feat is surviving the Destroyers obliteration visor blast which is supposed to deconstruct or "unmake" stuff. Its pretty flimsy I'll admit. Another sorta feat is when Classic Odin "freed" Mangog by doing some hocus pocus on the souls/hatred that made him in the first place. Some decades later he just "poofs" back.

Like he is massively more powerful than a typical class 100 like Hulk or Gladiator or whatever. I... just sorta want to give him a pass.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Yeah. Honestly I am of that opinion as well in 99% of cases.

Mangog, to me at least, feels like he gets a pass mostly just because of presentation. I have no concrete evidence beyond it.

He's the physical embodiment of a psychic gestalt of hatred that bleeds over the cosmos. He sorta "poofed" into existence one day and has subsequently "poofed" back again and again when hatred for the gods reaches its peak.

He's not just say a random mutation like Hulk. He's presented as something much more dreadful. Even when Odin was at the height of his powers, Mangog didnt care. Odin being a guy who could shatter chunks of a galaxy and warp reality. Mangog would go STRAIGHT at that guy and that guy would go "omg he's coming what now!?". Like it's a big deal when the dude shows up.

I'm sorta of the opinion that he is less made of transmutable materials and more made of cosmic hatred made flesh.

The closest thing I have for an actual transmutation feat is surviving the Destroyers obliteration visor blast which is supposed to deconstruct or "unmake" stuff. Its pretty flimsy I'll admit. Another sorta feat is when Classic Odin "freed" Mangog by doing some hocus pocus on the souls/hatred that made him in the first place. Some decades later he just "poofs" back.

Like he is massively more powerful than a typical class 100 like Hulk or Gladiator or whatever. I... just sorta want to give him a pass.
    Honestly...this is a strong argument. Most of what I've heard as far as arguments for durability being equitable to transmutation resistance were/ much/simpler.

Mangog is one of those unique entities as far as presentation goes seemingly in a tier all its own.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

As is the Juggernaut as far as his durability is concerned, yet he doesn't get the same kinda 'pass' on transmutation resistance.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    As is the Juggernaut as far as his durability is concerned, yet he doesn't get the same kinda 'pass' on transmutation resistance.
    Does he not? Classic "reconstitute from a flaming skeleton" Cain?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Does he not? Classic "reconstitute from a flaming skeleton" Cain?
    As far as I'm aware, someone turning him into the Unstoppable Juggercup, is a legitimate tactic as far as beating the Juggernaut goes.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

As far as I'm aware, someone turning him into the Unstoppable Juggercup, is a legitimate tactic as far as beating the Juggernaut goes.
    I mean, there's an argument that you wind up with a Candy Vegito situation there. You've just turned him into an unstoppable, unbreakable teacup. It's not really a "win", given that the dude kept right on going when turned literally into a flaming pile of bones.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I mean, there's an argument that you wind up with a Candy Vegito situation there. You've just turned him into an unstoppable, unbreakable teacup. It's not really a "win", given that the dude kept right on going when turned literally into a flaming pile of bones.
    He has no legs. He is only a cup. Suppose if you throw him he'd never stop, though.

Arx Inosaan

I mean, magic God Blast proof forcefield is really the durable thing here. Not his skin. Seems like it should stop energies of transmutation from reaching his skin just fine.
    - big_adventure

I mean, magic God Blast proof forcefield is really the durable thing here. Not his skin. Seems like it should stop energies of transmutation from reaching his skin just fine.
    Juggernaut has a durability forcefield doesn't he ? Juggercup.

Arx Inosaan

I r disappoint. Your Pun Fu is weak, Squidward.

You’re making Juggernaut into some form of pottery or earthenware, and you come up with Juggercup?

I mean... Nauterjug?!

He’s literally got ‘jug’ in his name!

You’re dead to me now.