Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Thoughts on Kurt Busiek’s Trinity?

D7C0D71E-076B-4DE4-8C36-45EA58DD61E9.jpg

Currently buying the Superman and Batman titles from the One Year Later era to Flashpoint, and I’m wondering how was this title? I’m a huge Busiek fan, but I’m pretty ambivalent to Bagley’s art, especially in regards to Diana.

675770D0-0EEE-4884-83C4-5DB27E951321.jpg

100487CA-C158-41B8-B4A9-3B8183A628EE.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I like the concept of the Trinity and exploring their relationship together, but it's rarely been executed in a way I found satisfying. Not Busiek's fault by any measure, because DC seemingly is only going to give any writer a couple of inches in regards to affecting the characters' and their worlds/titles as they're plotted by a bunch individual writers with their own plans.

It'd be quite a thing if the actions in a Trinity title could lead the way for change/fallout in the characters' own titles, but I'd guess that'd be terribly difficult to orchestrate, manage, and not step on some writer's toes.

Incredible Member

It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall really liking Trinity in the beginning, and less so as it progressed. I remember thinking that it became less about the characters themselves, especially when they were titanic, god-like creatures, and more about the impact of the three in the DCU and on other heroes, and the whole conceit seemed to crumble under its own weight. It's not terrible, and there are good ideas in there that are worth reading, but I've never felt compelled to re-read it. I also remember thinking that, while Bagley can be commended for drawing a comic every week for a year, it showed that he was...drawing a comic every week for a year. Again, he's hugely talented, like Busiek, and he's known to be fast at his craft, so the comic isn't terrible to look at, but I remember thinking that the pressure of that showed over time and the quality declined.

It's definitely not required reading in regards to WW, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. Again, I haven't read it since it came out, so someone who's read it more recently would likely have a more helpful opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    D7C0D71E-076B-4DE4-8C36-45EA58DD61E9.jpg

Currently buying the Superman and Batman titles from the One Year Later era to Flashpoint, and I’m wondering how was this title? I’m a huge Busiek fan, but I’m pretty ambivalent to Bagley’s art, especially in regards to Diana.

675770D0-0EEE-4884-83C4-5DB27E951321.jpg

100487CA-C158-41B8-B4A9-3B8183A628EE.jpg
    I really enjoyed the first trade which explored the trio in the present and showed how they worked together; how the Leaguers viewed them; the differences in their approaches; and the various ways they function as a Trinity.

The remaining trades were hindered for me by the lack of connection to current timeline/events and the uneven quality of the art. Weekly stories create quite a bit of pressure. I think had Busiek been able to execute in the way that he wanted or if and the art team were given sufficient lead time to do it it would have turned out better.

Ultimately, it was an ambitious, epic endeavor with some fun, memorable moments along the way but ultimately uneven and too far removed to realize the potential of the concept. Great start, so-so middle, ho-hum finish.