Thread: Frequency

Default Frequency

A simple question. WW is currently put out bi-weekly. Should it drop back to being a monthly?

My feeling: yes. Writers need time to tighten up the writing and plotting. Every now and then we have some stunt-publishing where a story is published every week. The first few issues are okay, but as the series goes on, it becomes apparent that the stories are being written too quickly for any decent editing or tightening of the storyline. The end result is that they end up being crap.

While not as bad as a weekly series, WW has been bi-weekly for a while now. When a new writer comes on, the first few issues are fine, but as time goes on the deadline pressure becomes obvious and the stories suffer: whether it is just by being too wordy, or plot holes appearing or things that should have been said are not being said. In short, the stories become sloppy. Given more time, a writer and editor could tighten up the story for a more pleasurable reading experience. The weakness I see in WW right now is simple: it comes out too frequently. I think it needs to go back to being monthly.

Am I wrong?
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    A simple question. WW is currently put out bi-weekly. Should it drop back to being a monthly?

My feeling: yes. Writers need time to tighten up the writing and plotting. Every now and then we have some stunt-publishing where a story is published every week. The first few issues are okay, but as the series goes on, it becomes apparent that the stories are being written too quickly for any decent editing or tightening of the storyline. The end result is that they end up being crap.

While not as bad as a weekly series, WW has been bi-weekly for a while now. When a new writer comes on, the first few issues are fine, but as time goes on the deadline pressure becomes obvious and the stories suffer: whether it is just by being too wordy, or plot holes appearing or things that should have been said are not being said. In short, the stories become sloppy. Given more time, a writer and editor could tighten up the story for a more pleasurable reading experience. The weakness I see in WW right now is simple: it comes out too frequently. I think it needs to go back to being monthly.

Am I wrong?
    Yes, yes you are. Wonder Woman has only one title, the bi-weekly schedule allows her to make more money for DC and the stories move along at a much faster pace. Think of how slow Robinson's run would have been if it came out monthly. The pace is more of a problem for the art team than the writer. We just need set artists to rotate like at the start of Rebirth.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-09-2019 at 08:33 PM.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I feel like this reasoning is flawed. Certainly the notion of giving writers more time to do tighter storytelling sounds good on paper. However this is not really a problem I see reflected in the actual comics we have been getting. Robinsons run was just as bad at the start of his run as it was to its end. Ruckas run was tightly well told throughout. Wilsons run feels like its improving more and more as the story goes on rather than declining.

Given what DC has shown with their current string of monthly titles, I see nothing to indicate that changing the release date would necessarily increase the quality of the story.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The o ly problem I have with the consistency is in the artwork. I would much rather have Xermanico and/or Emanuella Lupacchino than just whomever they can throw at the book to get it out. If that means monthly, then I'm fine with it.

I loathe the monthly schedule. It just does not cut it in the modern age.

So I'm quite happy with bi-monthly. Hell, if I could I'd see the books published weekly (at a lower page count, because Im not a monster and I want my art teams to get *some* sleep).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

With Batman going monthly in January, I wonder if Wonder Woman, Flash and Justice League will follow suit?
    Personally, I prefer bi-weekly, but I'm fine with monthly if it means hitting #100....and beyond!

Incredible Member

The bi-monthly will end in 2020. :-(

Story here.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Hmmm. With them talking about not wanting to lose the sales of the double shipping Batman and creating a new series to fill that void, I wonder if we might get a second WW title...

I hope so. There are several good writers id love to see on a second Wonder Woman title.
    That said, DC is so obsessed with lamebutt Batman that I don't see them sparing a second glance at anything else.