Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Episode IV Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader reimagined

Awesome. The truer-to-form duel aside, it really captures Vader's anger.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Awesome. The truer-to-form duel aside, it really captures Vader's anger.
    To say nothing of their skills as Force-users.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Amazingly well done, I think it really conflicted with later displays of power by Vader on what he could do, so seeing something approximating what Jedi and Sith can do today is awesome.

iMan 42s

I've never really been into the scene edits primarily because they're just so not what people would've done had the movie released then which is prety much why the cuts back to the actual film are so jarring. It's well done enough that it's not bad, but I find this a bit more over the top than even the prequel duels.

Context matters in the prequels because everybody is angrier, bitter, and the duels are with opponents who are much younger with far different equipment who are still actively training. That' a major reason the duels got more impressive because you could show the Jedi and Sith in their prime. Doing that with the OT feels wrong to me because this isn't Starkiller to do that, that an over confident Vader and an Obi-Wan who wasn't getting out of their anyways. It's cool to have that in a filmography, I just don't think it suits the OT.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

No matter what you think of it by itself, it's still a much better edit than Greedo missing the broad side of a barn from inside of it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

When another poster said it was more over the top than the prequels I was expecting to see Vader and Old Ben flipping around like a couple of lemurs so maybe it was because my expectations were low but I actually thought that was really good, certainly no more over the top than the battle between Luke and Vader in Empire. It reminded me a lot of the final Vader scene from Rogue One, you really got that feeling of why everybody feared Vader here and the touch with the sound from Revenge of the Sith overlaying the final moment worked well.

In my head, this just might be how this scene plays out now.

Its the subtlties that really get me, weaving in with the material that's already there. Example: In ANH Vader speaks to Obi-Wan mockingly but calm. Obviously as the history would evolve later, this doesn't really jive with the hatred Vader has for Obi-Wan, and what the reaction would logically be seeing him for the first time since his maiming. So what the author does here in the beginning, is focus for a few moments on Vader clenching his fist, like he's hanging on for dear life to not just explode. He calms himself, then goes into his monologing. THEN **** gets real when Obi-Wan responds and he attacks with a growl. Makes his tone and general attitude up to that point work.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-11-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Only one very minor continuity gripe with the original version: in the original, Vader already had his lightsaber ignited when Obi-Wan spots him in the corridor. Here, Obi-Wan spots Vader before the latter ignites his lightsaber. The original always stood out to me because it was the only lightsaber dueling scene in which one of the opponents already has his lightsaber ignited before the opponent shows up and spots him (barring when Yoda intervened as Dooku was about to finish off Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Hasn't this been around for a few years? Or is this a new take?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Hasn't this been around for a few years? Or is this a new take?
    It was like a 30 second test footage video this is their final version.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The fighting is cool but it feels too over the top and almost out of character sometimes.

In regards to the lore as we now know it I think its quite in-character. I mean, its to a degree out of place simply because the stuff going on around it isn't redone too. The cutaways can't entirely fit in tone and feel. And we're used to the meandering and frankly underwhelming pace of the original because that's what we remember, that's what we grew up on. But again, in regards to the fleshed out lore, Obi-Wan should still be able to move like this despite his age. He's spry beyond any normal elderly person but he certainly doesn't show anything close to his prequel power. Vader meanwhile you can tell is more powerful than him from the jump, but at the same time its not overdoing it having him leap around and stuff taking into account his mechanics. So I felt it stayed pretty true to who these characters were at this time period, while not giving into the temptation to having them do anything close to the pure acrobatic stuff they were doing 20 years prior.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-13-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

To me this is how a battle between two masters should be. Especially when one is just pure anger and hate like Vader is. The original Vader/Kenobi fight has always been the weakest lightsaber fight in all Star Wars.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

idk I think I'm used to Vader constantly using his Force powers as opposed to slashing his lightsaber in anger.

BANNED

I like the old series fight scenes because the sword scenes are realistic, but the new ones are pretty cool.