Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    While I detest most things Geoff Johns, I have to say, I really did enjoy those fist 23 issues or so of his Teen Titans run. As a HUGE Young Justice fan, I was fully prepared to hate it, but the only things I didn't care for were Bart's id switch up to Kid Flash and the Titans Tomorrow arc. Most every other arc in those first 23 issues were absolute gold.
    I agree with you on Bart, but the Titans of Tomorrow arc is my favourite bit of that run

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Aquaman. Him killing Manta's dad is a nice change of the usual villain killed the hero's dad.
    Green Lantern. No idea how it used to be but the rainbow corps are just so interesting and I still think all the human Green Lanterns should be spread out to different corps.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    I'd like to say his Superman run, particularly the mini-run with Gary Frank (circa Brainiac and Bizarro). But ultimately, how he re-framed and rebuilt Green Lantern was remarkable.

Ironically, most of the people reading GL Rebirth in 2004 compared it against recent stories and continuity, loving or hating what it did to then-current characters and situations. Few readers recognized how...fitting it was. Rebirth was steeped in the 1960s story concepts that *made* Green Lantern. In the 1960s Hal routinely faced mind-adjusting, mind-controlling villains, and high-concept weapons. Even allies tried this stuff - Hal was periodically transported to the future where they suppressed his identity and gave him a new one, and then sent him back with a mindwipe. So of course the resolution to Parallax was faithful to that ethos.

The yellow impurity being living fear is basically the best song John Broome and Julius Schwaztz never wrote.
    Last edited by Dr. Ellingham; 06-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Fantastic Member

His greatest creation is still Courtney Whitmore!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    His greatest creation is still Courtney Whitmore!
    That's very hard to disagree with.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I've noticed this is an unpopular opinion, given how he developed the old YJ characters, but I still think that whole 2003-2011 era of the Teen Titans that he started was made up of some of the best comics I've ever read. To this day I still go back and re-read it every so often.

Best thing? In my opinion it has to be his run on Green Lantern easily, it changed the course of comics forever and defined the Green Lantern mythos (for better or worst) in the contemporary landscape. I would say it's what made him a DC architect.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I've noticed this is an unpopular opinion, given how he developed the old YJ characters, but I still think that whole 2003-2011 era of the Teen Titans that he started was made up of some of the best comics I've ever read. To this day I still go back and re-read it every so often.

Gotta agree there. I'm one of the guys who never liked classic Impulse and thought the switch to Kid Flash actually made him awesome. I loved every issue of that book up to the OYL cast switch. It lost me pretty fast after that, but that was my favorite Robin written since Dixon.

I haven't read all his stories, but who here agrees with this comment?

"Geoff Johns writes like some sort of humble master. His writing feels informed and loving of the material, but never flashy or arrogant. It feels so effortless while also having very sign of something that was combed over meticulously until it was just right. Beautiful beautiful."

Yeah...yeah that's about right, for the most part.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Darkseid War. Victor becoming Grid.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Oh, and of course Cyborg on the Justice League and Grid himself. Grid was the only good thing about Forever Evil, like how Moloko (or maybe Mr. Freeze) was the only good thing about Batman & Robin.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I thought his streamlined version of Hawkman was fantastic. Its too bad that they screwed it all up again because some writers just will not let go of Hawkworld.

Extraordinary Member

I think the great irony about his Teen Titans run was that he himself was able to write it and his changes to the characters very well; it’s mostly just that others who followed him exposed both their own weaknesses and some of the conceptual weaknesses in the changes as well.

Johns, for instance, could still write an entertaining goofball in Bart even while trying to “improve” him as Kid Flash, and his version of moody T-Shirt Superboy was actually pretty good. But the fact he had to lose both characters as part of Infinite Crisis and One Year Later kind of signaled the problems that would plague the book when he left, and unfortunately, OYL Teen Titans was never really that good even when he was there.

I tend to think his best work overall is still Green Lantern, especially in the Sonestro Corps War and Blackest Night,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

I think that particular era having problems is more because of editorial. The pre-Johns Titans and post-Johns Titan related books were infamously hampered by editorial related problems. Even Johns to a degree, but he is better at handling editorial mandates.