Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 273
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    79

    Default Did anyone enjoy Spider-Man in spite of One More Day?

    Some people feel like the breakup of MJ and Pete's marriage caused them not to read Spider-Man after that but was there anyone that enjoyed and still enjoys despite One More Day? Anyone that actually like One More Day?

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Some people feel like the breakup of MJ and Pete's marriage caused them not to read Spider-Man after that but was there anyone that enjoyed and still enjoys despite One More Day? Anyone that actually like One More Day?
    One More Day does have somewhat of a reassuring ending which took about ten years to manifest in the comics (MJ's promise that the two would find each other again), but other than that it's generally considered a write-off.

    As for people who enjoy post-OMD Spidey, you'll find there's plenty, either ones who did not care for MJ, the marriage, or were very bitter about both being endgame for Peter, and others who liked the marriage and MJ but didn't want one bad apple to define the remainder of the fruit you find on the tree.

    Others did not care for the last decade like me, but we always had alternatives. The marriage never actually went away and lasted pretty much the same length as the post-OMD era has been in existence.

    Stories like "Emergency Stop", "Grim Hunt", "Spider-Island", "Superior Spider-Man", and "Spider-Verse" have all been sales successes and were heavily instrumental in defining where the Spider-Man books are now or were just fun done-in-ones. Could these stories have still happened with the marriage intact? Some could, and some might have been more interesting, there's no way of knowing unless we get an AU run covering those ideas.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The other side
    Posts
    505

    Default

    I liked it because I didn't tie my enjoyment of Spidey to his marriage. I am first and foremost a Peter fan regardless of MJ's presence, its almost as if some want to position MJ as the center or foundation of the Spider mythos. And I don't like how some seem to think he's somehow lesser or incomplete without her. No one would ever apply that to a female character, being lesser because she has no love interest. Wheather he's married or not should not matter, it does not define him and if MJ is in the picture or not should not matter. If her presence is a deal breaker then maybe its more about being MJ fans than Peter fans.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I liked it because I didn't tie my enjoyment of Spidey to his marriage. I am first and foremost a Peter fan regardless of MJ's presence, its almost as if some want to position MJ as the center or foundation of the Spider mythos. And I don't like how some seem to think he's somehow lesser or incomplete without her. No one would ever apply that to a female character, being lesser because she has no love interest. Wheather he's married or not should not matter, it does not define him and if MJ is in the picture or not should not matter. If her presence is a deal breaker then maybe its more about being MJ fans than Peter fans.

    I started reading at a time when being a Peter fan WAS being an MJ fan, because Peter's #1 most important thing to him was Mary Jane.... and the whole point of that period (Clone saga era) was Peter trying to find his happily ever after with her amongst the chaos around him. Rooting for Peter and his happiness was rooting for him and Mary Jane to find a happy life together. That was his goal... and in reading about him and what he wanted to acheive, what his definition of success and happiness was, meant I had the same goal as well... for him to have a happy life with Mary Jane. They two were two sides of the same coin and you really couldn't seperate them in those stories. She was his world and his heart. I still feel that's the case today too, though some writers don't follow that line of thought like others do or did.

    I can understand how fans who did not get established with Spider-Man with the same stories would feel differently, especially if during a period where Peter and MJ were not a couple. But the way I was introduced to Spider-Man informed me about how central and important MJ was to the mythos.

    That's my stance on the issue. I cared about and still care about Peter and MJ equally and always will. So yeah, OMD broke me and I dropped intereset in the title for many years.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 05-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    If her presence is a deal breaker then maybe its more about being MJ fans than Peter fans.
    Or maybe people are interested in both of their stories and how they compliment and enrich one another.

    Spidey sales were fairly uneven for a long time prior to Superior, and dropped again after it was over with the exception of bumper issues and Slott's Renew Your Vows (oh look, something with the marriage), Peter on his own or being with other love interests had less appeal than him being together with MJ, we've seen healthier sales stats for the book ever since Spencer reunited them.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member Russ840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    521

    Default

    I have hated everything from OMD up until the Start Of Spencer’s run.

    I hate character regression and, to me, Peter never felt like the same character post OMD. I found him to be incompetent, a laughing stock and a man child.

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    I have hated everything from OMD up until the Start Of Spencerís run.

    I hate character regression and, to me, Peter never felt like the same character post OMD. I found him to be incompetent, a laughing stock and a man child.
    I agree 100%. I gave Slott a grade of F. Does it mean there were not good stories? No Spider Island and Renew Your Vows come to mind. But he made Pete look like a loser ( and inferior to Doc Ock) and MJ and Felicia look even worse.

  8. #8
    Incredible Member Russ840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I agree 100%. I gave Slott a grade of F. Does it mean there were not good stories? No Spider Island and Renew Your Vows come to mind. But he made Pete look like a loser ( and inferior to Doc Ock) and MJ and Felicia look even worse.
    Yeah, I fully appreciate others opinions about BND and onwards, I mean, that is some people’s entry to Spider-Man but it is not Peter Parker as he was from ASM 1 to 545. Like I said. Felt like a totally different character.

    For me, I will never own any hard copy of any of those stories. I have every Spidey masterwork and collect Omnibus’ for material that is not available in masterworks but after JMS’ inevitable Omnibus Vol 2, there will be nothing else on my shelf until Spencer’s run is available. I will likely never read any of BND and Slotts run again.

    I have coined that period the ‘Dark Age’ of Spider-Man.

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    444

    Default

    While OMD annoyed me as it did other people, I loved Slott’s run up until Superior.

  10. #10
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Now, I'm curious: how many of you were brought back into the fold with Spencer's run? Obviously, it's very different between Slott and BND, so I'm curious how you approached this one as well?
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Now, I'm curious: how many of you were brought back into the fold with Spencer's run? Obviously, it's very different between Slott and BND, so I'm curious how you approached this one as well?
    I'm back because Peter is paying for his mistakes/arrogance in Slott's run, bonding more with Jameson, and resolving relationships with MJ and Felicia. He's not quite the grown up he was prior to OMD, but he's taking the necessary steps.

    Oh and the Centidemon mystery is the best carrot dangle for OMD reversal yet.

  12. #12
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm back because Peter is paying for his mistakes/arrogance in Slott's run, bonding more with Jameson, and resolving relationships with MJ and Felicia. He's not quite the grown up he was prior to OMD, but he's taking the necessary steps.

    Oh and the Centidemon mystery is the best carrot dangle for OMD reversal yet.
    So it's baby steps, but back on track for character progression. Anyone else?
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  13. #13
    Incredible Member Russ840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    521

    Default

    I have stuck with Spidey even when I was not enjoying it. I was just waiting for the next creative team.

  14. #14
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    I have stuck with Spidey even when I was not enjoying it. I was just waiting for the next creative team.
    Same. I started reading with JMS, stuck through BND and Slott, loving Spencer thus far. But having read the satellite titles too, love those just the same.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Now, I'm curious: how many of you were brought back into the fold with Spencer's run? Obviously, it's very different between Slott and BND, so I'm curious how you approached this one as well?
    I started collecting physical copies again on main title with Spencer. The first issue sold me especially on flashback on To Have And To Hold. For the first time in 10 years it felt like I was reading about pre-OMD Peter in the way he valued MJ again. That was the most important character trait I felt was missing for so long. Slott had Peter like MJ but he never showed Peter long to be with her. Itís like it wasnít that important to Peter. That did not mesh with pre OMD Peter to me so that first issue really made a statement and I knew it was time to collect the book again. Very glad I did too. Spencer has not let me down. 🙂

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •