Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As a character, Peter Parker is someone who grows, who develops, and who changes. Ten years have passed for legit in his titles. And a sign of that growth is in his relationships with women. Peter is someone who is closer to women than men in his life. That's a consistent pattern in all his stories since the beginning. So in the case of Peter as a character, being in a serious relationship is needed for him to be a functional adult and so on.
    That's not the sign of maturity you're making it out to be.

What Peter actually did, "Wow, Harry is alive and he's rich so I get to go to all deez clubs, and tongue-tango with any number of eager young willing things. I found this nerd chick who some days looks like Deb Whitman, other days like MJ, other days as someone else entirely...and I'm gonna lie to her about my double life, because schmuck that I am, I actually am going to take MJ at face value when she said she wasn't strong enough and force my life on to some other unwilling dupe because that worked out so well with Betty and Gwen, the girls I dated before Felicia and MJ made me decide to try that open honest crap."
    Don't forget the issue where he organized a topless pool party at the Playboy Mansion!!!

You're right though, he should have ignored what MJ said, and forced her to stay in a relationship with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I will say this at the very least, no matter what you're feelings on Peter's portrayal, I personally haven't had as much an issue of his interpretations as other posters as, but it is a straight up fact that Peter was essentially de-aged since OMD, since the editors and Slott himself have said they purposefully made/wrote Peter to feel younger than he did before because that's what they think work best for the character.
    I'd also say that during Straczynski's tenure, Peter was written older than he had been previously. Paul Jenkins' Peter Parker in the sister series came across younger. in the earlier ones at least. Swings and roundabouts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I will say this at the very least, no matter what you're feelings on Peter's portrayal, I personally haven't had as much an issue of his interpretations as other posters as, but it is a straight up fact that Peter was essentially de-aged since OMD, since the editors and Slott himself have said they purposefully made/wrote Peter to feel younger than he did before because that's what they think work best for the character.
    They basically created a version of the character that never existed. Even when Peter was young, the whole point was that he was older and more mature than his years. Bendis' USM showed that where characters keep commenting on how a teenage high school Peter has seen and done more stuff than adults do in their lives, which was also Bendis' way of highlighting the absurdity of a Peter who never ages out of high school.

I mean it's weird that the BND people cited USM as an inspiration and then basically ignored a huge chunk of what Bendis was trying to get right in that story.

Astonishing Member

which was also Bendis' way of highlighting the absurdity of a Peter who never ages out of high school.
    No, Bendis was writing about the high school/teenage experience.

https://www.newsarama.com/7856-bendi...brilliant.html

Nrama: It's extremely rare to stay on one book for so long, and obviously a lot has changed for you since 2000.

Bendis: An immense amount of things have changed in my life. I literally could not be in a more different place than I was. Yet the wounds of high school are still pretty fresh for which to delve into for a monthly comic book about what it would be like to be a teenage superhero. It's amazing how those wounds don't heal! No matter what happens! [Laughs.] Helping on the big movies, working on the TV shows, we've got a cartoon show with this thing, I got three kids now — still, yet, I can't get over what the girls did to me in high school. It is amazing how easy it is to pick the scab off that wound.

I think you mean Mephisto.

♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I cannot believe you said that. Keep in mind Aunt May did not raise Peter alone as a single parent, Uncle Ben was there as well. She knows very well that she will not live forever and she wanted Pete to have a good woman in his life and that was MJ. Aunt May should not be a plot device to keep Pete immature ( see Life Story). Even Gwen ( under Slott of all people) knew that in the end, Pete is choosing MJ over her. Why? Look at ASM 122 who did Pete to?NOT Aunt May. Plus, look at early MJ and see how Gwen, Liz etc were intimidated by her. MK has "It" pure plain and simple.
    Peter couldn't go to Aunt May in Amazing Spider-Man #122 because she was essentially a captive of Doc Ock's men at the time. They were even at her side during Gwen's funeral in the next issue. It's probably a good thing this was not mentioned in "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" since t takes away from the timeless appeal when there are reminders of how the important story is part of a mega-arc that ends with Doc Ock and Aunt May's marriage.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Peter couldn't go to Aunt May in Amazing Spider-Man #122 because she was essentially a captive of Doc Ock's men at the time. They were even at her side during Gwen's funeral in the next issue. It's probably a good thing this was not mentioned in "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" since t takes away from the timeless appeal when there are reminders of how the important story is part of a mega-arc that ends with Doc Ock and Aunt May's marriage.
    ASM 122 is a criminally underrated issue ( overlooked because of ASM 121 and ASM 129 ( First Punisher issue)). But the key to ASM 122 ( in addition to the then "Death" of Norm) is how things were set up by Conway for MJ to take over for Gwen ASAP. He made sure that it would be MJ right there for Pete, instead of having Pete dealing with Gwen's death alone until he could tell Aunt May ( or someone alse).

Astonishing Member

post-BND was fine until the Superior Saga. Then everything went horribly horribly wrong.

Aunt May should not be a plot device to keep Pete immature ( see Life Story).
    If Aunt May is a plot device to keep him immature, this means immature is his standard status. So wouldn't that make MJ just a plot device to make him into something he's not?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Also, Peter didn't go to MJ. He went to the apartment he and Harry lived in. Mary Jane just happened to be there. He basically told her to **** off.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Also, Peter didn't go to MJ. He went to the apartment he and Harry lived in. Mary Jane just happened to be there. He basically told her to **** off.
    And she wouldn't let him push her away, knowing that he was speaking and acting out of grief and pain and refusing to let him wallow in that alone. It was a major turning point for her as a character, as she started to grow and mature as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    post-BND was fine until the Superior Saga. Then everything went horribly horribly wrong.
    Funny I feel exactly the opposite way.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And she wouldn't let him push her away, knowing that he was speaking and acting out of grief and pain and refusing to let him wallow in that alone. It was a major turning point for her as a character, as she started to grow and mature as well.
    Let's not forget that Aunt May wouldn't work in that scene because she and Gwen Stacy had a terrible relationship. Gwen Stacy being the one who told Peter's elderly mother figure to "go f--k yourself" and had basically driven her out of the books and into the arms of Dr. Octopus.

Mary Jane worked best because the story of Gwen's death is the end of the Lee-Romita era and that iconic supporting cast. So it had to be someone else who shared that there.

BANNED

what a new low you all are aiming at with taking shots at fictional characters through other fictional characters.

Astonishing Member

Let's not forget that Aunt May wouldn't work in that scene because she and Gwen Stacy had a terrible relationship. Gwen Stacy being the one who told Peter's elderly mother figure to "go f--k yourself" and had basically driven her out of the books and into the arms of Dr. Octopus.

Mary Jane worked best because the story of Gwen's death is the end of the Lee-Romita era and that iconic supporting cast. So it had to be someone else who shared that there.
    I am not a person who is going to use Ssm Bullett or Aunt May to bash Gwen. Why? 1: Gwen like anyone else can make a mistake. 2: MJ should or should not be with Pete based on the merits. Anti-Gwen ( or Felicia, Silk or anyone else) weakens the argument FOR MJ. But that is not correct about Lee/Romita. The Gwen death happened on Gerry Conway's stint on Amazing. Besides that, MJ was set up to be the one even going back to Ditko..Aunt May wanted her,for Pete and even in early MJ issues the other character's like Gwen were intimidated by her. How come? Because they knew she was special. Speaking of Gwen, I will be very interested to see what happens when Spider-Gwen moves to 616 and meets Normam Osborn. I hope she gets the opportunity to kick his ass.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-02-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Besides that, MJ was set up to be the one even going back to Ditko..
    That's very presumptuous. They were making a teen drama super-hero comic, with no idea how long it would last. It's unlikely they were thinking in terms of "and this is the character Peter will settle down and spend the rest of his life with".

Aunt May wanted her,for Pete and even in early MJ issues the other character's like Gwen were intimidated by her. How come? Because they knew she was special.
    Betty and Liz were intimidated by her because she was a total babe. She wasn't really written as having any hidden depths back then, she was the sexy and exciting girl, and Gwen became the nice girl.