Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Mary Jane was not even a character in Ditko's run, she was a gag. A joke. A humorous beat. A sequence of panels meant to incite guffaws. She was later transmogrified into a character, which is why her creators are Lee and Romita.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Mary Jane was not even a character in Ditko's run, she was a gag. A joke. A humorous beat. A sequence of panels meant to incite guffaws. She was later transmogrified into a character, which is why her creators are Lee and Romita.
    Yeah, she was just used as a gimmick to add into Peter's love triangle/soap opera antics, with her only defining trait being the implication that she was incredibly good looking off panel, and it wasn't until after her reveal when she actually became a character with a personality, who would continue to grow over the years.

And even by then, there wasn't any ultimate real plan for these characters, just like most soap operas, she was another piece to the puzzle, another potential love interest to be fawned over and create personal conflict for Spider-Man. Whatever decisions came after from the writers as they figured out what they liked about the characters the most, which of course changed in varying ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    That’s an odd take. Also, wrong. ASM #15 has Aunt May say that she thinks she and Peter should get married. Her first mention in fact. It’s not a running gag since the whole panel obscured part was done just twice. The first in ASM#25 and the second is ASM#38. Incidentally those two happen to be the first and last issues on which Ditko had credit on plotting credit. So this was Ditko more than Lee setting her up. John Romita Sr. who tried always to be true to Ditko is on record arguing against Lee to make Gwen the romance (as per Mark Ginnocchio’s book on Spider-Man). He felt that Lee was going against the setup. And Lee felt that Romita Sr. making MJ this charismatic character was sabotaging his planned romance with Gwen.

I have read every bad faith argument diminishing MJ’s presence in the books. But I have to say that among the ones I have read SNDT have to prepare defenses and counter arguments against, the argumentum ad Ditko is easiest to debunk.