Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default The Sad Saga of Star-Lord

What do you think of this essay on the history of Star-Lord and the derailment of Marvel Cosmic heroes?

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...racterization/

Agree completely with the article.

The DnA version of Guardians and Nova were what kept me reading monthly comics for a number of years when I was seriously thinking of dropping them altogether. Then came the Bendis abominations which I tried but eventually drove me out. Haven't bought a monthly comic now in almost 4 years and don't miss it. Still read Marvel stuff via their Unlimited app but even there I think I'm two years behind right now. What Marvel did to Star Lord by changing him from a grizzled war weary veteran to juvenile prankster was horrible. And sidelining Rich Rider for Spam Alexander (just like Spam isn't real meat he isn't the real Nova) was even worse.

Mighty Member

I skimmed the article. (The writer lost my "full read" when it described a 70s pulp character as "hard sci-fi".)

And, it strikes me as a fantrum.

Fans are over-obsessed about the continuity of an obscure character (pre-movie Star Lord) and Bendis' ability to write characters that non-fanboys will read. (For fans who really care, Marvel offered an explanation for the changes. Specifically, the Star Lord who died in the Cancerverse was the "original", who had travelled to 616 Marvel. The later Star Lord appearances were a different character, the "true" 616" Star Lord.)

I like the 40K style Star Lord of the Abnett/Lanning era. I like the look. I like the tone. But, that sort of thing is a hard sell outside of an established fandom.

The 70s stuff is derivative of the worst kind of navel-gazing from that damnable decade. (Pretty art, yes. But, abysmal writing.)

The Zahn stuff was not bad. And, had some potential. But, if Timothy "Star Wars" Zahn could not sell it in the mid-90s, it was not going to sell.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Is this another Matt McGloin wank piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Is this another Matt McGloin wank piece?
    No. But the author used to be a member of the CosmicBookNews forum before Mcgloin banned him for ''not hating Sam Alexander enough''. He even wrote a blog post about it.

Also why the seventies were a damnable decade? They gave us Chris Claremont's X-MEN, Jim Starlin's Warlock, Gerry Conway's Spiderman and Roy Thomas Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Also why the seventies were a damnable decade? They gave us Chris Claremont's X-MEN, Jim Starlin's Warlock, Gerry Conway's Spiderman and Roy Thomas Avengers.
    There were a lot of good things from the 70s, but there was also a lot of stories that tried their hardest to sound a lot smarter and more profound than they actually were.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Agree completely with the article.

The DnA version of Guardians and Nova were what kept me reading monthly comics for a number of years when I was seriously thinking of dropping them altogether. Then came the Bendis abominations which I tried but eventually drove me out. Haven't bought a monthly comic now in almost 4 years and don't miss it. Still read Marvel stuff via their Unlimited app but even there I think I'm two years behind right now. What Marvel did to Star Lord by changing him from a grizzled war weary veteran to juvenile prankster was horrible. And sidelining Rich Rider for Spam Alexander (just like Spam isn't real meat he isn't the real Nova) was even worse.
    Why cant we have more serious quality space opera stories from Marvel? Are they afraid to look too much like Green Lantern?
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 05-12-2019 at 07:43 AM.

They're so tied to New York, I think outer-space is seen as poison to today's Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    They're so tied to New York, I think outer-space is seen as poison to today's Marvel.
    Yes, even the Old Man Quill series, while It is a good comic, has the GOTG di***ng around with Doctor Doom on Earth rather than fighting the Church of Truth in space.

At least Donny Cates' run doesn't have tie-ins with War of the Realms. Although that might hurt the sales a bit like what happened with Annihilation being published alongside Civil War.