Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default The Thor Readathon

And so it came a day when Thor-El decided it was time to revisit the glory and grandeur that was his childhood hero: The Mighty Thor!!! Fueled by the popularity of the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the expectations for the hero in Phase 4 and hoping for the further development of these characters in movies and the upcoming Disney + service. Having cosplayed the character a couple of times in conventions and feeling the necessity that every proper Thor fan must have to know the mythology thoroughly, I embark myself in this journey into mystery and discovery! Hoping to have other truebelivers join me in the discussion!!

And after that winded introduction, lets start this post with Journey into Mystery 83, published in August 1962. Thor was created by Stan Lee and Larry Lieber, the invention of two brother writers, they came up with a response to DC Superman that was totally original.

An american tourist, a lame doctor Donald Blake visiting Norway stumbles into a space invasion of rock men from Saturn. The same race our beloved MCU character Korg comes from! Fleeing the aliens he enters into a cave and gets trapped inside and while trying to free himself using a cane that was mysteriously left in the center of such cave he strikes the boulder with it and it transforms into Mjolnir, Thor's magic hammer and Dr. Blake into the god of thunder Thor! The hero exits the cave, fights the invaders and vanquishes them.

Artwork is by Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers. So Jack Kirby, the other Thor creator, the King of Marvel Comics that fresh from his golden age adventures of Captain America started creating the Marvel Universe at this time. Its notable that Jack Kirby style was at this time very different, his figures weren't as massive as they would be drawn in future issues and his unique visual style hadn't fully developed yet. Kirby stayed mainly with Thor and Fantastic Four, very sci-fi heavy comic books and gave us some of the most unique original visuals in the medium.

https://www.comixology.com/Journey-I...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy
    Last edited by Thor-El; 05-10-2019 at 07:50 AM.